Does This Happen Also To You With Lamy Safari?

minifatalpotato

Case in point:

Sorry, from my own experience gave a standard answer.. when your photo of this issue deserves further discussion.

That said, just checked several Safari's, including one Al-star that's been inked & laying on its side since it was new in my best lined purse... IOW's I wouldn't trust it in there if it could or gave any evidence it would leak ruining the interior. None show signs of leaking as described.

So back to your issue. Are there cracks as suggested earlier? From the ink stains on yellow perhaps a partial circumference crack that indicates there might be other stress/force cracks, including at or including the feed? Back to the OP who did note the pen had hit the floor. Safari's ABS is tough material, my own original red/black clip took some hard concrete falls, without damage, but of course it's possible.

One recourse for damage occurring in typical use, is to contact Lamy since there is a warranty. Let them review to see if a production issue occurred.

My single obvious fail was my Vista, (foolishly since I knew better from Here), trying to pull the feed for a soak, thinking it might resolve a skipping issue, totally wrecking the business section plastic, my fault my Lamy's.

Others may have suggestions, but other than magnified exterior examination perhaps leave interior view to Lamy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• minifatalpotato

• pen2paper

• alexwi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't a flaw. It's an intentional design element and works as designed. Trying to hold the pen upside down is using it in a way it was explicitly designed to prevent / not support. Holding it below the little flares where your fingers are supposed to stop is using it in a way it was explicitly designed to prevent / not support.

If you don't like the design, OK. If you think a different shaped grip is better, OK. But it's not a flaw, just an intentional limitation deliberately designed into the pen for an express purpose - to train into the tripod grip.

Note: I'm not madly in love with Lamy - I have one, I like it, but that's as far as it goes. I just know the difference between flawed and works as intended.

Very well said.

Very well said.

Thanks, VRI39C. It turns out to have been misplaced in this thread (as there seems to be some problem other than how the writer is gripping the pen), but thanks.

Not common in my several Safaris, but it has happened when they are filled with wet inks and then get a shake in my backpack when commuting.

It is normal, wenn the pens are moved, right. But is isn't a problem as this is not part of the grip. A paper tissue is enough to clean it.

How about this storyline:

when closing the pen, some people might systematically do it in a way the tip of the nib touches the little grip-thing in the cap that holds the pen firmly in place. Thus disposing a little ink on the thing. Which, once closed, has a grip precisely on this indent-circle between grip and nib. Thus disposing part of that ink exactly where the foto of that orange Lamy shows.

So some people experience this issue, most don't. In this story, that's not a matter of the pen but a matter of how people close their pen.

Any believers?

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

when closing the pen, some people might systematically do it in a way the tip of the nib touches the little grip-thing in the cap that holds the pen firmly in place. Thus disposing a little ink on the thing. Which, once closed, has a grip precisely on this indent-circle between grip and nib. Thus disposing part of that ink exactly where the foto of that orange Lamy shows.

So some people experience this issue, most don't. In this story, that's not a matter of the pen but a matter of how people close their pen.

Any believers?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

But I'll take it.

:P

Any believers?

fpn_1528219732__img_3959.jpg

fpn_1528219750__img_3960.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Several pens I've handled have this behaviour. Pelikan's Pelikano is one example, Parker Frontier as well and now memory fails me, but in any case, I've noticed this with several pens.

I actually thought my older Pelikano is broken because of the ink accumulation in the same spot, but this post made me remember that Safaris do this as well (not sure I noticed it with the Al-Star?!), and other pens too, so now I've accepted the Pelikano as is...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It's common for ink to appear there if the cap isn't cleaned properly or the pen was shaken and ink gets on that part. For the Safari though, you're supposed to hold it with your pointer finger and thumb each in one of the two indents on the top of the grip section. That places your fingers in a place where there is no chances from the ink there getting on your fingers. I naturally hold my pens very close to the nib, but the design of the grip is supposed to keep you from getting your fingers so close that they get ink on them from that.

For me, when I use my Safari pens, most of the time I don't have ink there, but if I do, I just leave it like that until I have time to clean out the cap with cool water and wipe that part of the grip section. As long as the pen isn't shaken or dropped causing droplets of ink to splash out of the nib and feed, you shouldn't have too much trouble with ink getting on that part of the grip section.

The other thing that could happen is that the lip of the grip section is cracked. That doesn't seem to be a common problem with the Safari pens though.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon