Ranga Model 8B Group Buy- Infinite Beautiful Colour And Nib Choices

Have you tried priming the nib and feed? Turn the barrel as if you're opening it, but not all the way. Turn upside down (over your inkwell!) and close it tight again. Clean off possible ink on the threads. Try again. If that does not help, maybe try opening the tines a little bit. You should be able to pull them apart a little from the shoulders, using your thumbs.

Thanks for the hint. I had to repeat this procedure several times for to finally get some really meager ink flow. Looks like the pen wants to have hard starts all the time. When tapping the nib carefully on to the paper it burps. Haven't experienced this with my other ED pen.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• sansenri

• mhguda

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my pen from the group buy. In premium "Pale Pink/ Red Black Swirl" ebonite with black bold nib. It writes wet and smooth.

img_7938.jpg?w=800

img_7873.jpg?w=800

Regards,

Dinuraj

Edited by dinuraj

This is my pen from the group buy. In premium "Pale Pink/ Red Black Swirl" ebonite with black bold nib. It writes wet and smooth.

img_7938.jpg?w=800

img_7873.jpg?w=800

Regards,

Dinuraj

Wow! nice red ripple. Mine doesn't have that high contrast between red and black.

Have you used some filter or special light? Maybe digital retouch?. I'm interested in your photo setup.

Tomorrow I'll post some photos to compare.

My red and black (seen in post 119) is more like yours, Carabassimetre. It's almost a stealth pen, but I still think it's attractive. Perhaps the blue and pink would have had more contrast?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the hint. I had to repeat this procedure several times for to finally get some really meager ink flow. Looks like the pen wants to have hard starts all the time. When tapping the nib carefully on to the paper it burps. Haven't experienced this with my other ED pen.

I have a similar problem. The pen hard-starts whenever I have left it nib up for a while, and getting it going usually involves some ink splashing around (one time on my shirt). After being stored horizontally, it starts OK, but sometimes has burped ink into the cap. It often drips ink.

I too have not had this problem with other ED pens, though actually I only have two other models, both from Moonman in China – the M2 and the Wancai.

I'm well aware that I probably have too little ink in my Ranga 8B. What is the ink capacity meant to be anyway? I got the version in blue and white premium ebonite, and the blue was darker and more purple than the photos had led me to expect, while the white was creamier, almost beige. It looks like a night sky with moonlit cloud, so I inked it with a sample of Krishna Silent Night Sky that I had sitting around. A poetic choice, and the ink suits the pen, but it there's a bit less than 2 ml in there, which is probably not enough and perhaps the source of the problem.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

absolutely, an almost empty ED is looking for trouble...

I keep my ED Rangas at least half full and store them in horizontal position, they write first time with no hard starts even after several weeks unused!

In a way they are better desk pens than carry pens, but I have carried them with me also with no issues, rarely some ink spills in the cap if I toss them around...

The ink capacity of most Rangas is really huge, I have not measured the ml, but two 'Ranga pipettes' are still not enough to fill a model 8, let alone an 8B.

I tend to fill Ranga ED pens with readily available inks (Waterman Serenity, Pelikan Royal blue) because so much goes in in one fill that I prefer not to use more 'precious' inks...

Edited by sansenri

• 2 years later...
On 8/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, Antenociticus said:

I have a similar problem. The pen hard-starts whenever I have left it nib up for a while, and getting it going usually involves some ink splashing around (one time on my shirt). After being stored horizontally, it starts OK, but sometimes has burped ink into the cap. It often drips ink.

I too have not had this problem with other ED pens, though actually I only have two other models, both from Moonman in China – the M2 and the Wancai.

I'm well aware that I probably have too little ink in my Ranga 8B. What is the ink capacity meant to be anyway? I got the version in blue and white premium ebonite, and the blue was darker and more purple than the photos had led me to expect, while the white was creamier, almost beige. It looks like a night sky with moonlit cloud, so I inked it with a sample of Krishna Silent Night Sky that I had sitting around. A poetic choice, and the ink suits the pen, but it there's a bit less than 2 ml in there, which is probably not enough and perhaps the source of the problem.

Old post but in case anyone is till looking for the info

I just refilled one of my Ranga 8B eyedroppers today, I filled it to almost full with a metered syringe and the quantity of ink that went in was in slight excess of 3 ml. It's a great writer, the ebonite feed and the eyedropper filling provides for abundant flow, which I like. The pen just barely touches the paper and it writes, and keeps up with great flow even on very fast writing. I love this!

On 2/19/2021 at 1:55 PM, sansenri said:

I just refilled one of my Ranga 8B eyedroppers today, I filled it to almost full with a metered syringe and the quantity of ink that went in was in slight excess of 3 ml. It's a great writer, the ebonite feed and the eyedropper filling provides for abundant flow, which I like. The pen just barely touches the paper and it writes, and keeps up with great flow even on very fast writing. I love this!

I agree.  Rangas are hard to beat in terms of inkflow when you use them as eyedroppers.  plus they have so many beautiful designs and materials.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, sansenri said:

Just noticed this post. Thanks. Maybe I'll dig out the Ranga 8B and give it another spin sometime, using your measurement as my guide.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

ah, thanks for bringing this thread up again, I was looking for where I posted about this 8B I originally got with a Kanwrite nib, to update the story, but could not find it...

My 8B ED in green olive ripple is actually on my desk now, with a new Bock nib.

The problem originally was that I disliked the Kanwrite nib I got with it. It was supposed to be flex but could not get any flex out of it even pushing, on the other hand it was fine pointed (I prefer broader nibs) and actually rather scratchy. Worse thing it was off center vs the feed (probably a nib defect).

I tried switching in other nibs but the feed was too thin for any other nib (or the Kanwrite too thick) all other nibs would not stay put...

In the end Mr. Kandan at Ranga was so kind to find me a slightly thicker feed to swap in.

The pen is therefore now a great writer.

At first try I thought I'd swap in a Bock steel B nib, to get some nice broader line, but goodness what a firehose! wonderful flow but just a little too much! So I then switched to a Bock steel M, which is now perfect!

As I've mentioned before, I keep the pen in horizontal position on my desk (so the feed is always wet...) It's there already a month.

Every time I pick it up it just writes!