Montegrappa Extra 1930 Arte Deco

Ceelo

Well after a long few weeks between ordering the pen and it landing on my doorstep, I'm pleased to say my Montegrappa Extra 1930 Arte Deco in shiny lines has arrived. I had been hoping for a slightly less expensive version of the shiny lines material to be used on a 1930 since the Extra Otto. As much as I loved the look of the Otto, I couldn't justify the price. Now that this model was released, and in a small limited edition number of 50, I decided the time was right to dip my toes into the Montegrappa waters and get my first Extra, Unboxing the pen I was immediately pleased that the celluloid pattern is even better in real life than in the photos so I thought I would share them with ya'll here. The pen is executed well overall with only the somewhat annoying ratchet piston mechanism spoiling the fun. I've also put together a short review on my blog here if you are interested.

Did anyone else pick this pen up? I feel like the 1930 doesn't get as much love as it should.

PzJV8ZZh.jpg

By5wQ5vh.jpg

pS1d20Sh.jpg

3pwbZHvh.jpg

WD4Dw3hh.jpg

NdoBZ7rh.jpg

fyBY1dLh.jpg

8YwrNk7h.jpg

cxNE1edh.jpg

Edited by CeeElle

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fatalpotato

• ArchiMark

• Ceelo

• fpupulin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very handsome classic design pen. Thanks for sharing it!

The comparison photos are very helpful.

Was glad to read somewhere that Montegrappa revised the cap threads to take less turns. Having had several Extra 1930 pens that is an improvement.

I especially enjoyed the large #8 nib with some give when writing with the Extra 1930 pens.

Very tempted by this pen....

Enjoy!

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Looking at your other pens, I can well understand why you were seeking at a Montegrappa shiny lines. This wonderful celluloid is, in my opinion, a modern and shiny version of the Arco celluloid used by Omas: multilayered on one side, whit a fine parallel pattern looking like a jewel, and with a bold pattern on the other side, like a fossilized wood. Simply beautiful.

Whilst I find the contrasting patterns of the shiny grey celluloid more suited to the faceted shape of the Extra Otto (and I also find the Arco celluloid more apt for the faceted Paragon than the round Ogiva...), I warmly welcome the Extra as a due addition to the more classic and iconic of the Montegrappa pens. The monochrome nib with the classical Montegrapa Greek motif is gorgeous.

I look forward to a non-limited version of the Extra in Shiny Lines celluloid, perhaps with the classic Greek on the cap ring, in the purest style of Montegrappa. Meanwhile, struggling on one of the 888 specimens of the Extra Otto, still hoping to own one before they are all gone...

By the way, gorgeous collection you have!

Thanks for the kind comments :)

The cap threads indeed are back to a 'normal' number of turns. I haven't counted but it doesn't seem any more or less than most other pens I own, and that's definitely a good thing. I also agree regarding the faceted model accentuating the shiny grey lines celluloid perhaps a little more, and I certainly wouldn't say no to the greek cap band variation either.

Thank you CeeElle, it is one of the most beautiful celluloids I've ever seen (and yes I have owned several arcos and verdes- what else is there to say)!

Absolutely brilliant!

Was glad to read somewhere that Montegrappa revised the cap threads to take less turns. Having had several Extra 1930 pens that is an improvement.

I especially enjoyed the large #8 nib with some give when writing with the Extra 1930 pens.

The large number of turns needed to uncap the old Extra 1930 is a real annoyance. I'm glad they have fixed this. I have a Bamboo Black with a broad nib that is a hard starter. I'm seriously thinking of having it ground to an oblique. It's such a beautiful color, as is the Art Deco. Thanks for the pics!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

After my answer to your post, I checked your blog and saw the absolutely beautiful,photographs you posted there if your Extra Deco.

I have'nt said anything new to you... You already made the comparison of Shiny Lines with the old Omas' Arco! And yes, Shiny Lines is perhaps the most beautiful and sophisticated modern celluloid I have seen in years, really a great, subtle material to crave a pen in.

I read in your blog that the limitation number of 50 Extra Deco pens is likely due to the fact that Montegrappa used the leftovers of the celluloid originally used for the Extra Otto. This obviously reduces my hopes about a regular edition of Extra 1930 in Shiny Lines...

Enjoy your new pen in good health.

I visited manllectables again, and your comparative photographs of the Extra Deco Shiny Lines together with the Arcos by Omas made justice to the beautiful Montegrappa's celluloid and your beautiful pen. Well done!

This pen is stunning, and your review certainly continues to convince me to add it to my Extra Veneziano Butterfly... my poor wallet!!

Lovely pen! I was torn between this model and the zebra when I ordered my Extra. Now I'm second guessing myself. Enjoy it in good health.

Jeremy

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I am glad to have encouraged/enabled a few more people to consider this pen and quite possibly the Extra in general. I am surprised this model from Montegrappa does not receive more attention than it currently does, or maybe I just . The construction, celluloid and nibs are great, and aside from a few annoying quirks (doesn't every pen have a few) they seemed to have improved it in recent years.

Well, CeeElle, your efforts worked.....

Now have Shiny Lines pen 17/50......

:)

Only nib choice left was XF nib.....but it writes very nicely, so very pleased!

This is one gorgeous pen....

Mark

Well, CeeElle, your efforts worked.....

Now have Shiny Lines pen 17/50......

:)

Only nib choice left was XF nib.....but it writes very nicely, so very pleased!

This is one gorgeous pen....

Mark

Yay, another owner! So happy to hear that I may have helped enable you 😊 post some photos if you get a chance, would love to see the line width of the XF.

Your wish is my command, here you go.....

Sample is written in Leuchtturm1917 journal (5.75 x 8.25")....some feathering on paper....

XhN8TY.jpg

jyEtlS.jpg

YV0LXH.jpg

Edited by ArchiMark
Added journal info

I am surprised this model from Montegrappa does not receive more attention than it currently does, or maybe I just . The construction, celluloid and nibs are great, and aside from a few annoying quirks (doesn't every pen have a few) they seemed to have improved it in recent years.

I would be much more inclined to buy more Montegrappa pens, as they have some quite nice materials to choose from, if they didn't insist on those horrible(so called oversize) jowo nib on each and every single one of their pens. The #8 jowo that is on all 4 of my Montegrappas have literally no character, and they're slightly larger than a Bock, or other company #6 nib. Most of the time I wish they went for a steel nib and cut the price a little, or went the other direction and buy from Bock and add a little to the price. I'll probably never buy a Montegrappa again unless they change their nibs, afaik no big manufacturer is using jowo nibs other than Montegrappa, for their high end pens at least.

Edited by Fatalpotato

I would be much more inclined to buy more Montegrappa pens, as they have some quite nice materials to choose from, if they didn't insist on those horrible(so called oversize) jowo nib on each and every single one of their pens. The #8 jowo that is on all 4 of my Montegrappas have literally no character, and they're slightly larger than a Bock, or other company #6 nib. Most of the time I wish they went for a steel nib and cut the price a little, or went the other direction and buy from Bock and add a little to the price. I'll probably never buy a Montegrappa again unless they change their nibs, afaik no big manufacturer is using jowo nibs other than Montegrappa, for their high end pens at least.

Different strokes for different folks, as we said here in the 70's....

In other words, to each, his own.....

I love the #8 nibs and really enjoy writing with them. Have had them on other Extra 1930 pens in different nib widths, and all were great writers. To me, they have a slight give to them when writing that makes it very nice....

Different strokes for different folks, as we said here in the 70's....

In other words, to each, his own.....

I love the #8 nibs and really enjoy writing with them. Have had them on other Extra 1930 pens in different nib widths, and all were great writers. To me, they have a slight give to them when writing that makes it very nice....

Yeah definitely, each to his own interests I guess. Just to be clear, my Montegrappas have all perfectly wrote right out of the box and have no problem whatsoever.(would be annoyed otherwise as these are quite expensive pens) It's just that I find the nib bland, especially considering they're the top of the line of their nib manufacturer. But as you said, each to their own :)

Perhaps there are differences between nib widths as mentioned in another thread in this sub forum? I find that my fine nib is anything but bland with a good amount of softness and character. I don’t know, my nib was tuned by nibs.com so perhaps that explains it?

Interesting, as I have 4 different pens with the same nib and they all are pretty much nail. None of them is from mattishow, but I read it in somewhere that he's not really able to add softness/flexibility to 18k nibs as they're prone to malformation. Maybe I got the short sticks for quite a row, or you got a lucky pick once :) because checking in your blog, my pen is definitely unable to do even half of the line variation what yours can. Btw, your Omas collection is mouth watering :D