Namiki Yukari Base Model

Mastiff

Hi. Can you please tell me what the base model is for the Namiki Yukari pens?

I really like the design but I am interested to know whether there is a plain black model of thie pen (other than the Urushi line).

Thanks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fcarbon

• Mastiff

• Linger

• gerigo

Hi. Can you please tell me what the base model is for the Namiki Yukari pens?

I really like the design but I am interested to know whether there is a plain black model of thie pen (other than the Urushi line).

Thanks.

IIRC the Yukari is the same size as the Pilot 742 and the Yukari Royale the same size as the 743. Also the nibs are different numbers but otherwise very similar. Both of those are available in none urushi versions. There is also the Nippon Art series that are the same size as the Yukari and maki-e but studio maki-e instead of sole artist.

My Website

IIRC the Yukari is the same size as the Pilot 742 and the Yukari Royale the same size as the 743. Also the nibs are different numbers but otherwise very similar. Both of those are available in none urushi versions. There is also the Nippon Art series that are the same size as the Yukari and maki-e but studio maki-e instead of sole artist.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will look into 742 and 743!

You are quite right. My Yukari Royale has a #20 nib and I think the 743 has a #15 per my quick searching onilne, so I assume that means smaller to some degree (Pilot and Namiki nib sizing is dumb).

Another thing to consider is the Yukari Royale and I think the regular Yukari are all brass body underneath the lacquer. So the pens have more heft than most other Namiki/Pilot of the same size that tend to be resin/plastic of some version.

Just for my own sake Mastiff, why don't you like the black urushi Yukari Royale? It's a glorious pen and the simplicity it exudes is what makes it awesome. Given you want simple - this seems to fit the bill.

You are quite right. My Yukari Royale has a #20 nib and I think the 743 has a #15 per my quick searching onilne, so I assume that means smaller to some degree (Pilot and Namiki nib sizing is dumb).

Another thing to consider is the Yukari Royale and I think the regular Yukari are all brass body underneath the lacquer. So the pens have more heft than most other Namiki/Pilot of the same size that tend to be resin/plastic of some version.

Just for my own sake Mastiff, why don't you like the black urushi Yukari Royale? It's a glorious pen and the simplicity it exudes is what makes it awesome. Given you want simple - this seems to fit the bill.

Thanks Morphling!

I have a moonlight yukari that I really love, but I am too shy to take it outside. With regard to yukari royal, in my humble subjective personal opinion, it is just not worth the price :(

I've looked into 742/743 etc but unfortunately they look like fake Montblancs... I think I might have to look into buying another makie like Jar suggested.

PS do you play dota2?

Another thing to consider is the Yukari Royale and I think the regular Yukari are all brass body underneath the lacquer. So the pens have more heft than most other Namiki/Pilot of the same size that tend to be resin/plastic of some sort

I handled various versions of the standard Yukari last time I was in Tokyo and, as well as being quite substantially smaller than the Royale, they were lighter as well. No brass here, though I don't know if that makes them resin or ebonite-bodied pens...

Too many pens; too little writing.

. With regard to yukari royal, in my humble subjective personal opinion, it is just not worth the price :(

I thought so too.

Until I bought one.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Not smaller, just different stampings and very slightly different shapes.

My Website

Not smaller, just different stampings and very slightly different shapes.

Pilot nibs are thinner than Namiki in most cases. And the composition of gold is also different.

Only early(pre 2000s) Pilot high-end maki-e pens have the same nib thickness like Namiki nibs.

• 2 years later...
On 5/23/2018 at 3:14 PM, mongrelnomad said:

I handled various versions of the standard Yukari last time I was in Tokyo and, as well as being quite substantially smaller than the Royale, they were lighter as well. No brass here, though I don't know if that makes them resin or ebonite-bodied pens...

Wondering if anyone knows the answer to this: is the regular Yukari (e.g. Rock Garden) a brass, resin or ebonite bodied pen? Some sellers advertise it as "metal" ...

Let's look at the weight first:

Yukari Royale Urushi = 46 gram

Yukari Grapevine = 32 gram

Yukari Nippon Art Origami-Rabbit = 20 gram

Nakaya Portable Writer = 26 gram

From the Nakaya we know it is ebonite covered with urushi.

From the Yukari Royale we know it is brass covered with urushi.

The Nakaya is a bigger pen than the Yukari, yet the Nakaya is lighter.

The Yukari and Yukari Nippon Art are fairly comparable in size, yet the Yukari is heavier.

I would therefore carefully conclude that the Yukari is made of a material heavier than ebonite. Whether is is a resin or a brass, I don't know.

21 hours ago, Linger said:

The Yukari and Yukari Nippon Art are fairly comparable in size, yet the Yukari is heavier.

I would therefore carefully conclude that the Yukari is made of a material heavier than ebonite. Whether is is a resin or a brass, I don't know.

From the Nippon Art I presume it is resin since the weight and dimensions are almost exactly the same as a resin 1990 Pilot KF Balanced maki-e.

Therefore I would conclude that the Yukari must be brass ... but is there no one who could actually confirm this?

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm it, although I tend to agree. It is the way the pen feels. Hefty. Serious. Well-balanced.

Does it really matter though? Given the weight and feel and superb nib it has?

Take the plunge, yolo, one-feels-rich-with-money-spent-rather-than-money-saved, go ahead and order one. You will not be disappointed.

I've a Chinkin (Matsu) which is the same size as a yukari it is brass. The emperor size Chinkins such as the tiger, the new dragon or my absolute favourite the hawk, these are ebonite bodies.