Hey everyone!

After having my new fountain pen search derailed by southpaw I've been scouring the Franklin-Christoph website for hours looking into the variety of excellent pen options there. I need some help though.

If you own a Franklin-Christoph pen could you help me out by:

• Telling me what model(s) you own and what color(s)
  • Your favorite nib(s)
  • Your experience with customer service (if any)
  • Uploading a picture of your pen showing off the color(s) of it
  • How it performs on cheap and nice paper
  • Your ink(s) of choice

I know it's a lot to ask but information seems to be a bit scarce on these pens, especially when it comes to the color options.

Thanks!

Edited by Purphoros

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purphoros

• Driften

• Barkingpig

• sharonspens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an ice Stabilis 66, an Iterum and Intrinsic (both of these in solid emerald). I like them a lot but much prefer them clipless as I find the clip a bit cheap looking. The cursive italic steel nibs are excellent and the normal fine steel nib is good. They tend to run a bit dry (according to FC themselves when I emailed them) but if your preference is for a wetter nib they can set that up if you ask for it. Their customer service is excellent.

I have an ice Stabilis 66, an Iterum and Intrinsic (both of these in solid emerald). I like them a lot but much prefer them clipless as I find the clip a bit cheap looking. The cursive italic steel nibs are excellent and the normal fine steel nib is good. They tend to run a bit dry (according to FC themselves when I emailed them) but if your preference is for a wetter nib they can set that up if you ask for it. Their customer service is excellent.

Besides the clip, is there anything on the pen that has been damaged from use or that you don't like? With the cursive italic nibs, are they too scratchy/wet/catch too often to use on cheaper notebook paper?

EDIT: Between the Intrinsic and the Iterum which do you prefer and why? Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Edited by Purphoros

I own a Model 02 in black & cinnamaroon with the old clip, a Panther 40 in black & emerald with the small clip, & a separately bought #6 steel broad SIG.

Favorite F-C nib is the Masuyama broad italic, which resides in my Scriptorium. The Masuyama broad stub in the Panther 40 is close behind, & the broad SIG ithat replaced the italic in the Model 02, while a fun nib, is currently in storage after the last time I pared down my inked pens to travel.

My experience with CS is (fortunately, I would say) limited to a quick email exchange to ask if I wanted a clip on my Panther before sending it off.

I prefer to feed the F-Cs Iro inks. Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, Tsuki-yo, Syo-ro, Ina-ho, Shin-ryoku, Yama-guri, Tsukushi. I would say my italic runs ~4/10 in wetness, with the Iros knocking it to ~5/10. The stub is more like a 5/10 with Iros knocking it to ~6/10. Iirc, the SIG is about on par with the stub in that regard, but polished slick instead of having the pencil feel of the Masuyamas.

Here's an old writing sample on Clairefontaine, 8mm line spacing. Need to redo something like this at some point, since the printing was done on a 45 deg angle rather than parallel to the line & so doesn't show the line variation off well.

f_c_broad_comp_by_voidelemental-daffdxb.

Another old sample, iirc on Rhodia. Syo-ro & Kon-peki are the stub, Tsukushi & Yama-guri are the italic, Tsuki-yo is from a Bexley 14k stub.

iro_samples_by_voidelemental-da0dh0p.jpg

Closest I have to cheap paper at hand is a few pages ripped from a notebook I didn't buy, so I have no idea where it came from. The italic does ok, but the stub has (& thus I would imagine the SIG would have) very minor feathering & shows through a bit on the other side, but you could maybe get away with using both sides. Neither the italic nor the SIG have ever caught while writing that I can recall.

Edited by NinthSphere

I have the following F/C Pens:

Model 19 with a Masuyama Broad CI, 18K nib (My favorite as I like fatter diameter pens)

Model 31 (2) one is the Philly Pen Show Version that has a Orange Section and the other is the ICE version)

Both have Masuyama Broad CI nibs in steel.

Model 40 Pocket version that is a #5 Masuyama Broad CI in steel.

All of the pens are well made and their Customer Service (haven't had to use them) is extremely good.

I have dealt with them at several shows and they were more than helpful to make me happy.

The Masuyama nib grinds are smooth and I have never had an issue with any of them catching on the paper

nor are they scratchy. The nibs I have are fairly wet and have not needed any tuning what so ever.

I use everything from Noodlers to Sailor to Monteverde inks without a single problem. Never a hard start.

As for the paper; I mainly use Tomoe, Midori and Apica.

Hope this helps and for what it is worth, I don't think you can go wrong with a F/C pen.

Besides the clip, is there anything on the pen that has been damaged from use or that you don't like? With the cursive italic nibs, are they too scratchy/wet/catch too often to use on cheaper notebook paper?

EDIT: Between the Intrinsic and the Iterum which do you prefer and why? Sorry to bombard you with questions.

There is no damage to any of the pens. The acrylics used seem pretty robust. I waited ages for the Stabilis in Ice but I've kind of gone off it. It is pretty when filled with a bright ink, but otherwise looks a little messy to me. I'd gladly swap it with someone to get a different body for the nib. It's a nice pen though with a nice size and provides a comfortable writing experience and I haven't had any ink stain the interior rough barrel.

The Intrinsic does have machine marks where the barrel swoops down to the end, which are noticeable. It doesn't bother me too much. It posts very deeply, making for a surprisingly short pen, but very comfortable all the same. Some experienced the cap rubbing loose against their thumb and finger but I haven't experienced this, although I do tend to hold pens a bit high.

The Iterum would be my favourite. It's got a very simple design, it's a nice length, comfortable writing. It feels like the paired back aesthetic of FC is best expressed in this pen to me. The Stabilis comes close. Be aware that the Iterum is a long pen, especially when posted.

The cursive italics are sharp. On good quality paper they will write well. If you tend to move the nib about a bit when writing you might find them a little annoying. On poor quality papers they might catch and scratch. I find these to be the best nibs of their type out there. I own nothing else that produces such a pleasing line that is also fine.

They can all be used with converters if you don't like the idea of eyedropper pens, but they are excellent when used as eyedroppers so long as you are careful enough about set up. They tell you to use very little grease, but I found I used more than I thought I would! I'm very tempted by their music nib, but as yet haven't taken the plunge. I have no experience with their gold nibs. I did a review of all three pens here on FPN. If you search it should come up.

There is a whole thread on F-C pens here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/262792-who-is-using-franklin-christoph/

You might find more information than you could possibly want to know.

I own two F-C fountain pens, and a clutch pencil (from a lifetime ago). The FBs are a 1.5 year old Model 02, SIG M nib, in Italian Ice (it has a purplish glow) and a two week old Model 45, Masuyama M stub nib, black with a purple tip. The 02 was purchased at the Ohio Pen Show in 2016, and adjusted at OPS 2017 (Jim actually replaced the nib because he didn't like how it was acting). I kept it inked for 4 months straight with F-C Black Cherry ink, and the cap stained noticeably from jostling about. I took it to the Chicago Pen Show two weeks ago to have Jim tell me how to clean it. He worked on it, and took it back to NC to give it a thorough cleaning. It was shipped back to me in Indiana before the week was out. Customer service has been phenomenal.

I bought the 45 at the CPS, and have written with it nearly daily since. It is like a smooth cylinder in my hand, very easy on the wrists. Everyone I've let use it has also marveled at how sweet it is in hand. I've used both pens on a variety of papers, including newsprint to do the crossword puzzle.

The only thing I don't like is that they are both clipless. If i don't watch hem closely they will roll away and hit the floor (at least the 02 has).

Sharon in Indiana

post-8917-0-85876600-1526955657_thumb.jpeg

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I own a Model 02 in black & cinnamaroon with the old clip, a Panther 40 in black & emerald with the small clip, & a separately bought #6 steel broad SIG.

Favorite F-C nib is the Masuyama broad italic, which resides in my Scriptorium. The Masuyama broad stub in the Panther 40 is close behind, & the broad SIG ithat replaced the italic in the Model 02, while a fun nib, is currently in storage after the last time I pared down my inked pens to travel.

My experience with CS is (fortunately, I would say) limited to a quick email exchange to ask if I wanted a clip on my Panther before sending it off.

I prefer to feed the F-Cs Iro inks. Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, Tsuki-yo, Syo-ro, Ina-ho, Shin-ryoku, Yama-guri, Tsukushi. I would say my italic runs ~4/10 in wetness, with the Iros knocking it to ~5/10. The stub is more like a 5/10 with Iros knocking it to ~6/10. Iirc, the SIG is about on par with the stub in that regard, but polished slick instead of having the pencil feel of the Masuyamas.

Here's an old writing sample on Clairefontaine, 8mm line spacing. Need to redo something like this at some point, since the printing was done on a 45 deg angle rather than parallel to the line & so doesn't show the line variation off well.

f_c_broad_comp_by_voidelemental-daffdxb.

Another old sample, iirc on Rhodia. Syo-ro & Kon-peki are the stub, Tsukushi & Yama-guri are the italic, Tsuki-yo is from a Bexley 14k stub.

iro_samples_by_voidelemental-da0dh0p.jpg

Closest I have to cheap paper at hand is a few pages ripped from a notebook I didn't buy, so I have no idea where it came from. The italic does ok, but the stub has (& thus I would imagine the SIG would have) very minor feathering & shows through a bit on the other side, but you could maybe get away with using both sides. Neither the italic nor the SIG have ever caught while writing that I can recall.

Thanks! Lots of good information here. The nib is the big unknown for me right now. The big draw for the F-C pens, at least to me, is the nib selection. There are so many good offerings I don't know where to start.

There is a whole thread on F-C pens here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/262792-who-is-using-franklin-christoph/

You might find more information than you could possibly want to know.

I own two F-C fountain pens, and a clutch pencil (from a lifetime ago). The FBs are a 1.5 year old Model 02, SIG M nib, in Italian Ice (it has a purplish glow) and a two week old Model 45, Masuyama M stub nib, black with a purple tip. The 02 was purchased at the Ohio Pen Show in 2016, and adjusted at OPS 2017 (Jim actually replaced the nib because he didn't like how it was acting). I kept it inked for 4 months straight with F-C Black Cherry ink, and the cap stained noticeably from jostling about. I took it to the Chicago Pen Show two weeks ago to have Jim tell me how to clean it. He worked on it, and took it back to NC to give it a thorough cleaning. It was shipped back to me in Indiana before the week was out. Customer service has been phenomenal.

I bought the 45 at the CPS, and have written with it nearly daily since. It is like a smooth cylinder in my hand, very easy on the wrists. Everyone I've let use it has also marveled at how sweet it is in hand. I've used both pens on a variety of papers, including newsprint to do the crossword puzzle.

The only thing I don't like is that they are both clipless. If i don't watch hem closely they will roll away and hit the floor (at least the 02 has).

Sharon in Indiana

attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_10a7.jpeg

That black and purple is nice. I have rather large hands, compared to a Pilot Metropolitan, how big is the 45? I know it's one of the smaller offerings from F-C.

Good note on the clip by the way. I would be using the pen as my daily carry so making sure it doesn't try to run away is an important consideration.

It's also nice to hear the F-C goes above and beyond with their fountain pen care, I guess that lifetime warranty is a point of pride.

Edited by Purphoros

You can always switch their nibs about, as long as they are the same size, since they merely screw in & are easily changed. I bought a cursive Italic broad when I purchased my 1901 & later ordered their music nib, finding that a nice feature.

There is no damage to any of the pens. The acrylics used seem pretty robust. I waited ages for the Stabilis in Ice but I've kind of gone off it. It is pretty when filled with a bright ink, but otherwise looks a little messy to me. I'd gladly swap it with someone to get a different body for the nib. It's a nice pen though with a nice size and provides a comfortable writing experience and I haven't had any ink stain the interior rough barrel.

The Intrinsic does have machine marks where the barrel swoops down to the end, which are noticeable. It doesn't bother me too much. It posts very deeply, making for a surprisingly short pen, but very comfortable all the same. Some experienced the cap rubbing loose against their thumb and finger but I haven't experienced this, although I do tend to hold pens a bit high.

The Iterum would be my favourite. It's got a very simple design, it's a nice length, comfortable writing. It feels like the paired back aesthetic of FC is best expressed in this pen to me. The Stabilis comes close. Be aware that the Iterum is a long pen, especially when posted.

The cursive italics are sharp. On good quality paper they will write well. If you tend to move the nib about a bit when writing you might find them a little annoying. On poor quality papers they might catch and scratch. I find these to be the best nibs of their type out there. I own nothing else that produces such a pleasing line that is also fine.

They can all be used with converters if you don't like the idea of eyedropper pens, but they are excellent when used as eyedroppers so long as you are careful enough about set up. They tell you to use very little grease, but I found I used more than I thought I would! I'm very tempted by their music nib, but as yet haven't taken the plunge. I have no experience with their gold nibs. I did a review of all three pens here on FPN. If you search it should come up.

I've always wanted to try a music nib, a 1.9 mm stub though would be impractical for my purposes, but I could always get it as a secondary nib $35 isn't that bad.

I'm also like the Iterum, I'm a fan of the Model 19 as well but the color I prefer just went out of stock (apparently a day before I checked their site) and won't be back for a while.

My favorite, the Model 40 Panther, is going into production soon, according to a sales representative, so keep an eye on their site in the next three weeks if you want to snag one.

Edited by Purphoros

You can always switch their nibs about, as long as they are the same size, since they merely screw in & are easily changed. I bought a cursive Italic broad when I purchased my 1901 & later ordered their music nib, finding that a nice feature.

Exactly my thinking. Besides the Masuyama custom grinds they offer all of their nibs after the fact, I think I might get a Masuyama of some kind and a second, more specialized and fun, nib.

How do you like your 1901? What color did you get? What is the music nib like?

I have the following F/C Pens:

Model 19 with a Masuyama Broad CI, 18K nib (My favorite as I like fatter diameter pens)

Model 31 (2) one is the Philly Pen Show Version that has a Orange Section and the other is the ICE version)

Both have Masuyama Broad CI nibs in steel.

Model 40 Pocket version that is a #5 Masuyama Broad CI in steel.

All of the pens are well made and their Customer Service (haven't had to use them) is extremely good.

I have dealt with them at several shows and they were more than helpful to make me happy.

The Masuyama nib grinds are smooth and I have never had an issue with any of them catching on the paper

nor are they scratchy. The nibs I have are fairly wet and have not needed any tuning what so ever.

I use everything from Noodlers to Sailor to Monteverde inks without a single problem. Never a hard start.

As for the paper; I mainly use Tomoe, Midori and Apica.

Hope this helps and for what it is worth, I don't think you can go wrong with a F/C pen.

Yeah, with 41 nib options where can you go wrong?

I'm disappointed in the high cost of the gold nibs, these pens are competing in a gold saturated space but only offer stainless (in most models) if you want to stay under $250. I guess the low volume nature of these pens drives the price up.

That being said, I can always grab a gold nib later.

Exactly my thinking. Besides the Masuyama custom grinds they offer all of their nibs after the fact, I think I might get a Masuyama of some kind and a second, more specialized and fun, nib.

How do you like your 1901? What color did you get? What is the music nib like?

I like the 19 fine, it's size & shape were what I wanted, when I first looked @ their pens. I got a gold band & usually use a gold ink in it; I do not favor Black pens, but the gold band is so good looking on the pen, I forgive it's predominate color! I inquired about the Panther when talking to Mr. Rouse on the phone to order the 19 & it's nib; he explained it was "difficult" to produce & promised to let me know if any were ever made again. I never heard any more (about it being made again) from them & was disappointed when I read here that they had indeed been made, since. Apparently they have been enjoying great success with selling "limited" stock pens @ the shows & developed a following of interested users for same.

The original Panther was made in a green & that was the pen I had seen on their site, @ the time of my inquiry. The one with the orange band would have been one I would have been pleased to have but I have enjoyed the 19 & made my peace with the Panther's elusive nature! (I did read your post tonite about the "heads up" on it's possible upcoming manufacture & hope some people can purchase one.)

The music nib is, for me a bit large for use, except occasional. I was glad they made it, happy to purchase it & because I had the nib I had purchased with my pen, consider it fine to have for it's occasional use. I also have purchased & am very happy with several of their pen sleeves & cases. They are a fine company & I am sure you would be happy with any of their pens.

That black and purple is nice. I have rather large hands, compared to a Pilot Metropolitan, how big is the 45? I know it's one of the smaller offerings from F-C.

Good note on the clip by the way. I would be using the pen as my daily carry so making sure it doesn't try to run away is an important consideration.

It's also nice to hear the F-C goes above and beyond with their fountain pen care, I guess that lifetime warranty is a point of pride.

It is slightly wider round than the Pilot, but may not be comfortable enough for you if you find the Pilot too small (as it happens, I bought a Pilot as a gift at that same show, so I recently held one). I should also note that the 45 typically comes with a clip, but mine was on the prototype table.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I like the 19 fine, it's size & shape were what I wanted, when I first looked @ their pens. I got a gold band & usually use a gold ink in it; I do not favor Black pens, but the gold band is so good looking on the pen, I forgive it's predominate color! I inquired about the Panther when talking to Mr. Rouse on the phone to order the 19 & it's nib; he explained it was "difficult" to produce & promised to let me know if any were ever made again. I never heard any more (about it being made again) from them & was disappointed when I read here that they had indeed been made, since. Apparently they have been enjoying great success with selling "limited" stock pens @ the shows & developed a following of interested users for same.

The original Panther was made in a green & that was the pen I had seen on their site, @ the time of my inquiry. The one with the orange band would have been one I would have been pleased to have but I have enjoyed the 19 & made my peace with the Panther's elusive nature! (I did read your post tonite about the "heads up" on it's possible upcoming manufacture & hope some people can purchase one.)

The music nib is, for me a bit large for use, except occasional. I was glad they made it, happy to purchase it & because I had the nib I had purchased with my pen, consider it fine to have for it's occasional use. I also have purchased & am very happy with several of their pen sleeves & cases. They are a fine company & I am sure you would be happy with any of their pens.

Yeah, out of all the pens that they could produce in limited quantities due to "difficulty of production" the Model 33 comes to mind. According to the represenative I talked to the Model 33 takes a lot of time to work on due to the extensive machining that needs to be done, however they manage to get that in stock approximately 4 to 5 times a year compared to the Panther's 2 to 3. I would bet that the Panther's scarcity is artificial and that makes its high price (same base as the 19) an impulse buy for F-C collectors; my guess is that F-C could easily produce them in quantities similar to that of the 19 if they really wanted to.

I find it ironic however that I am contemplating making a trip to a show just to try and snag one for myself, I guess scarcity is quite an effective driver of sales.

With your Model 19 how do the gold bands compare to those shown in the demo photos on the website? From what I understand the gold is brownish in color but sparkles brightly when in the light.

I'm trying to make up my mind to eihter wait for a restock on the 1901 in the smoke & cinnamaroon or, maybe going for the currently in stock black & smoke (I fear that the smoke band may be a bit too thin to really get the appeal of the smoke coloration). I'm also debating about the 03 in black & maroon or the smoke & cinnamaroon (also out of stock).

I think that if the colors I want are not in stock by next week Friday, I might just buy a Lamy 2000 for now and go for an F-C pen closer to August with my birthday. The pen I am looking to buy right now is supposed to be motivation to finish a project/surviving-another-year-of-school-with-good-grades, but I think I'm spending more time doing research on pens than I am doing my project!

It is slightly wider round than the Pilot, but may not be comfortable enough for you if you find the Pilot too small (as it happens, I bought a Pilot as a gift at that same show, so I recently held one). I should also note that the 45 typically comes with a clip, but mine was on the prototype table.

Yeah, the grip section is a bit small on the Metropolitan for me, I like my Parker 45 because of how long and open the grip section is, but I don't care for the nib much and it needs a new converter as the one in it leaks.

The King's Gold stripes on my 19 could I suppose look "brown" if you were not aware of the color ascribed to the pen model. To me, they are the color described as "King's Gold" on the website & shown in their photograph. They do indeed sparkle in light & offer a nice contrast to the shiny black body/cap of the pen.

I don't think I made this up, but I am unsure where I heard or saw it attributed, that the choice of the color & name was meant to be representative of the Sheaffer ink called by the same name, "King's Gold;" An ink that has been discontinued, but still can be found sometimes, that has a great many fans. I am one of them & usually keep the pen filled with this ink or any new "gold" colored ink I receive.

I liked this color best of the options available @time of my purchase because I thought it offered the greatest contrast to the black presence of the pen. I would feel same about the bands on the Panther, unless they were vibrant I would not be interested in the pen, despite it's attractive design.

I also don't think you would be sorry with choosing a Lamy 2000; I quite like my Makrolon, despite it's black color! (I purchased the steel one first & have never warmed to it, despite a more desired nib choice than the broad on the Makrolon.) The Lamy has earned it's reputation as a workhorse & popular pen for a reason & I imagine you could enjoy it a great deal while awaiting the FC of your choosing.

Hi

I have two model 66's with standard medium nibs and they are excellent. One was originally the pocket version but I couldn't get on with it so I replaced the barrel.

The customer service was excellent, I highly recommend them.

Al

I have the following:

M-14 in black with fine nib (discontinued)

M-27 Collegia fountain pen I fine nib with matching ballpoint. Chrome cap with black body (discontinued).

M-29 in black with olive trim (it's really more grey) with 1.1 italic nib (discontinued).

02 Intrinsic in green with fine nib

M-19 1901 in black with white stripes with 0.9 italic nib

I haven't used the M-27 in a long time. The chrome caps make it very top-heavy when posted.

My one complaint with most F-C pens is that they dry out quickly. If they are not used every day I find I have to work to get the ink flowing. That said, I've used the 1901 a lot, because it is a great writer. Just dug the 02 out of storage and loaded it with Diamine Emerald, which seems to work well.

I love the design aesthetic of Franklin-Christoph. And once I have the money, a 65 Stablils will join my collection