First Vintage Italian Fountain Pen

Rate Topic 0

Hello All,

Been looking for a new pen and have been eyeing the vintage market again. Any advice for the go to Italian vintage fountain pen? Personally I'm looking for a useable every day type of pen that will be a pleasure to use.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Weaveras

• praxim

• ralfstc

• richyrich

Hello All,

Been looking for a new pen and have been eyeing the vintage market again. Any advice for the go to Italian vintage fountain pen? Personally I'm looking for a useable every day type of pen that will be a pleasure to use.

Thanks!

Easy. Aurora 88, 88K or 88P, especially the last. Inexpensive, easily serviced, carries a heap of ink, enormously comfortable and practical day to day, and it even looks good.

X

I replied in your other instance of this thread.

The threads having been merged, that is no longer relevant.

Edited by praxim

X

I looked up the 88; beautiful looking pen. I've done maintenance work on a Shaeffer Snorkel before, where the need of maintenance is pretty clear based on the brittleness of the rubber/latex sack. For the piston filler on the 88, when do I need to service the piston? Thanks!

:) Adding to that, inky fingers owing to slow leaks out the front which are a consequence of air getting past the piston seal from the back.

X

I'm with praxim on the Aurora 88, but why not an Aurora Archivi Storici? These we essentially re-issued 88s/98s using new old stock parts and modern Aurora cartridges. Vintage look and feel in a brand new pen.

Giardino is clearing out their last stock of these at really good prices.

http://www.giardino.it/pens/aurora/archivi.php

The old 88 is a great pen. I have found some in flea-markets working well, without any need to change the cork piston seal.

Also any vintage omas you can find could be a good daily writer, but for sure more expansive than the 88.

Thanks for the tips. Richyrich, thanks for the link as well.

Fabri00, I must admit that per your suggestion I typed in "omas" into the classifieds and yes, a little more expensive and a lot more research to know what to look for.