Why Is Lamy Cp1 So Underrated?

Erggg

Hmm, so I was thinking about this one a bit more. As I consider a pen to be a tool, not a status-symbol, the CP1 has a lot of appeal to me; it's well designed, durable without any fuss. For a long time most of my pens were "reasonably priced". However, having upgraded to gold nibs on my Lamys, and really appreciating the difference, I was recently tempted to take the plunge on a Sailor 1911. I had liked the shape of these for a while and the range of nibs seemed intriguing, so when I saw the "Ringless" Epinard as a "stripped down" version (ie less bling!), and realized I could afford one by cashing in accumulated credit card reward points I pulled the trigger. So now I have my first "expensive" pen. I love the look of the pen and I really, really love it's 21k Zoom nib, which works for me as a double or triple bold. But . . . . it doesn't work as a pocket pen, the body is too prone to dings and scratches, and I find this really frustrating! My CP1s have dings and scratches, but the body is made of brass and these "add character" rather than undermine the integrity of the pen. Having polished the first scratch out of my 1911 and now worrying that the new one might even become a crack, I'm questioning the logic of paying three times the price for something that needs to be swaddled like a baby!

Yay for the CP1 as a workhorse!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• Arstook

• Erggg

• pitonyak

I got one out of curiosity.  Nice size and weight.  The length perfectly fits its slim profile.  It's a very nicely made pen and great value for money.  However, considering all the bells and whistles of pens out there, with such nice colours and patterned resins etc., one could say the CP1 is boring.  Additionally, it's pencil thin when medium to oversized pens are all the rage these days.

However, I'm a pen user first and foremost, and if the pen is engineered well, I will always fall for it.   I love an understated look and I've grown to appreciate smaller and thinner pens having had my time with using mainly medium to oversized pens.   

My CP1 fortunately came with a perfectly tuned, F nib and I've decided to use it as my backup EDC pen.  It's currently inked with Rohrer and Klingner Dokumentus Black.  

I highly recommend this pen if you don't find yourself yawning while looking at pictures of it.  😜

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting topic.  I really like Lamy, and have 4 of them (2000, Studio, CP1, Dialog 3).  Oddly enough, the CP1 is actually one of my least favorite pens, of any brand.  I don't quite care for the feel of it or the way the nib attaches (I don't like that the bottom of the nib is exposed) and the writing experience has just been very underwhelming for me.

I realize that this is solely a matter of opinion and personal preference though and that I am definitely in the minority.  Generally speaking, I am a big Lamy fan - and I loved watching the factory video Brian Goulet did a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure it’s underrated. But it may be underpriced in comparison to other pens.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

I took the plunge and purchased one with an EF nib and regular ole Lamy black ink cartridges.  It writes/performs well and the ink is quite well behaved, even on the cheap, recycled copy paper used in my office.  I did find the CP1 a little narrow for my liking, not finding it very comfortable for longer writing sessions, though certainly good for a quick note.

I guess I've just gotten used to pens with slightly larger circumferences.

All the best,

Ryan