Wancher Pens?

Arstook

Today on Jetpens, I noticed that it started carrying a piston-fill fountain pen from a Japanese company called Wancher. Does anyone know about them or used them before?

https://www.jetpens.com/Wancher-Crystal-Fountain-Pen-Indigo-Sapphire-Fine-Nib/pd/23405

I visited the Wancher website and according to its About Us page, the company was the brainchild of a guy who had to use pens to record his notes during the Gulf War while working on a desert greening project. Based on the prose quality of the website, it appears that it doesn't have a very strong presence in the English-speaking market at least.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpecTP

• MomoShinChan

• Arstook

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's also the Sailor Wancher Ocean Blue demonstrator 1911. (It's beautiful.) Is this the same Wancher affiliation?

Wancher is the same as Engeika. Both owned by Taizo Okagaki. They've had special collaboration models with Platinum and Sailor in the past.

The only thing I know about them is their recent Kickstarter project for their newest, called the Dream Pen. There is another thread about that. I think some other people may have a better understanding of their products than I do.

Thanks everyone for the info. Now that we kind of know who they are, has anyone used their pens or can give a brief rundown of how they perform?

Figboot does at least one review where he goes over this brand, and I think he speaks about multiple pens.

Also, there's a few gorgeous pens on ebay at the moment that are supposedly Wancher. They look beautiful. I'd buy one, but apparently require you to supply your own nib. And the ad states it works with only the Sailor King of Pen nibs. Because, you know how many extras of those I have sitting around...

A little while ago they did screen printed makie-e on a simple cigar shaped plastic body. The nibs weren't exactly exciting but the screen printing was done very well with added pearly shell bits. The odd thing about them was that they were completely unmarked by branding.

A little while ago they did screen printed makie-e on a simple cigar shaped plastic body. The nibs weren't exactly exciting but the screen printing was done very well with added pearly shell bits. The odd thing about them was that they were completely unmarked by branding.

Hmm, Wancher seems to have somewhat of an uneven reputation. After reading all of these posts, it sounds like it straddles the line between wholesale/gray market distributor and a luxury pen brand. Think you might go for one of the makie-e bodies, Uncial?

I have one of their cheap Maki-E pens on its way from an Australian pen shop. So I'll be able to say something next week.

Hmm, Wancher seems to have somewhat of an uneven reputation. After reading all of these posts, it sounds like it straddles the line between wholesale/gray market distributor and a luxury pen brand. Think you might go for one of the makie-e bodies, Uncial?

I own one. As a pen it's fairly basic, but perfectly functional. It has a gold plated steel nib that is smooth, but a touch on the dry side. Looks like a standard Bock nib. It's a cc filler. The beauty of it is in the makie-e. It's a pine forest and on one side has a phoenix with mother of pearl inlay on the tail. It's very pretty. A couple of years ago I put it up for sale on the classifieds here and didn't get so much as a nibble, which was fortuitous as I'm quite glad it's still with me. I might sell it in the future but for now I'm glad to hold on to it. They were never expensive pens to begin with; I think they sold for around 80 or 90 dollars (expensive enough, but on the makie-e scale very cheap) and you can sometimes pick them up today for a little less.

They did a collaboration not very long ago with Sailor on a type of Pro-Gear called the Hemingway with a semi-transparent coffee coloured body. I have it and I'm very pleased with it; it's a really nice pen. It's still available through some sellers on Rakuten.

Let see how their Kickstarter turns out, supposedly it is close to their delivery date - June. We will probably have a better picture of how their pens perform then I believe.

Today on Jetpens, I noticed that it started carrying a piston-fill fountain pen from a Japanese company called Wancher. Does anyone know about them or used them before?

https://www.jetpens.com/Wancher-Crystal-Fountain-Pen-Indigo-Sapphire-Fine-Nib/pd/23405

I visited the Wancher website and according to its About Us page, the company was the brainchild of a guy who had to use pens to record his notes during the Gulf War while working on a desert greening project. Based on the prose quality of the website, it appears that it doesn't have a very strong presence in the English-speaking market at least.

that pen in your link is not piston filled. It looks like it is a converter inside.

that pen in your link is not piston filled. It looks like it is a converter inside.

SpecTP is correct this pen fits converter & cartridges..I have one...

From the instruction manual, that pen can also use with the eyedropper as well. That is quite intriguing, do not know many pens that can do that.

From the instruction manual, that pen can also use with the eyedropper as well. That is quite intriguing, do not know many pens that can do that.

Yes It is...in fact an eyedropper is included in the factory package :thumbup:

I have not tried their pens yet, but I have several of their leather pen holders and they are really good.

At about 30 usd shipping included you get a very nice leather 3 pen holder (black, orange) which has a luxury feel and costs quite a bit less than similar pen holders from known pen manufacturers.

The two on the left are Fedon, the two on the right are Wancher

fpn_1527630475__p1110151-2.jpg