Montblanc 149 Broken Piston Rod. Need Help.

TxHarleyGuy

Hello,

I recently came across a Montblanc 149 pen that was jumbled in with a bunch of other pens at a garage sale. As best as I can tell, it appears to be genuine although I am hoping to have it authenticated by someone far more in the know than myself. Before attempting to ink the pen, I thought it best to flush and clean it with water first. When I went about doing this, the cap just kept on twisting (I applied zero force) and came right off. It was then that I saw that the piston rod had broken; 3/4 of it remained in the barrel and the other part at the end of the cap.

Is this something that can be easily fixed? Is this a costly fix? Would I need to send it to MB service center? I am in Austin Texas and don't know of anyone in the area that could look at the pen. If anyone knows of such an individual or company, please let me know. Thank you all so much.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TxHarleyGuy

• niksch

• kandarp

• zaddick

I would imagine the best thing is to send it to the MB service centre. But, Ill let other members with more knowledge about MB service levels explain this to you. Im more of a vintage collector myself. All the best

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

You could go the service center route, but keep in mind that they might replace a lot more than the piston. Which could hurt the value of a sought after vintage model (if that's what you have)

Post pictures, so that we can tell you if the pen has features that should be preserved or not.

There is a certain expert repair person who is very active on this form and WILL chime in soon.

Edited by Fountainpencrazy

Post pics and you will get more effective advice. I already do not doubt authenticity as people are not reporting fake 149 pens, and havign a piston would be the best evidence it is authentic. MB service would probvably run less than $100 and would be doen in Texas at their US service center. Depending on other issues with the pen, this could be a good value, but they only replace parts so you could end up with a new pen that has an old nib and clip. You do get a warranty though if you get the pen serviced.

Another option is to sell the pen for parts and be happy with an easy profit, depending on what you paid. Parts are hard to come by and someone might want the cap, clip, nib, feed, etc. I am usually in favor of reviving a pen, but it may not be worth it to you.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I'll try and post a few pics here in a bit. Aside from the piston issue, the pen looks pretty amazing after a bit of clean up. I'm almost embarrassed to say what I paid for the lot of pens; $20.00 dollars. It was in along with a bunch of other pens/pencils in a box. The lady said $20.00 bucks and the box was mine. Gonna' see about posting a few pics. Very much appreciate the advice from you folks. Thank you.

Hello,

I recently came across a Montblanc 149 pen that was jumbled in with a bunch of other pens at a garage sale. As best as I can tell, it appears to be genuine although I am hoping to have it authenticated by someone far more in the know than myself. Before attempting to ink the pen, I thought it best to flush and clean it with water first. When I went about doing this, the cap just kept on twisting (I applied zero force) and came right off. It was then that I saw that the piston rod had broken; 3/4 of it remained in the barrel and the other part at the end of the cap.

Is this something that can be easily fixed? Is this a costly fix? Would I need to send it to MB service center? I am in Austin Texas and don't know of anyone in the area that could look at the pen. If anyone knows of such an individual or company, please let me know. Thank you all so much.

No it's not an easy fix for the everyday user who is inexperienced at removing and replacing Montblanc pistons. Plus getting the parts isn't easy. If Montblanc fix it for you they will charge you about $70 and your pen will come back looking like new. :)

Maybe we should see a pic first though, to check it's authentic. :)

My apologies, but this is the best I can do right now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h3zkwy5850juiwc/AAA9KMvW2VWyaTdt8Mq1yTlpa?dl=0

To those of you in the know - The clip on the pen does not bear a serial number. It only reads Germany. Also, the band on the clip says No 149 without the underscore under the letter 'o'. Is this normal and to be expected perhaps? Again, I don't profess to know much about 149's and hope that by these cell pics some of you can give me a better idea on whether you feel this pen is authentic.

Thank you all so much.

I cannot access these photos from work, but there were no serial numbers before 1991 or so. Clips made before about 1985 would have only had Germany stamped, sometimes pretty slopily.

No underscore on on the 0 in the ccap band indicates an older pen, or at least the cap. nothing to worry about there.

and for $20 with other pens, that is a hell of a deal. If the nib is good that is worth $100 alone, or maybe more.

And no reason to be embarrased or shy about it! We all hope for amazing deals like that once in a while. you might need to look out for jealousy though. :D

Edited by zaddick

Just looked at the photos. The pen looks like mid to late 1960s with a friction fit piston. I assume the feed has two parallel lines on the face of it, but there was no photo.

If you send the pen to MB for repair, you will get a new pen except the nib and the clip. For some folks this is the desired option.

There are a few folks who can repair this pen, but parts may be the issue. I would personally try to get it repaired as this is my favorite era of 149, other than the celluloid pens of the 1950s.

As parts what you have is probably worth about $250 if you sell on a place like eBay, assuming the nib is fine and the clip is good. You can use it as a dip pen to test the nib's writing.

It's certainly authentic, so I would get it repaired and use it. Zaddick's Montblanc repair option of a new pen suits me really well. :D

It's certainly authentic, so I would get it repaired and use it. Zaddick's Montblanc repair option of a new pen suits me really well. :D

Interestingly enough, you came to mind as I was writing that option. It is a road I have taken too and can lead to a satisfying conclusion.

With this pen, my preference for the 1960s 149s is the lack of weight towards the back of the pen. New 149s have more weight in the brass piston mechanism which changes the balance. It is a personal preference for me and not a judgement of others and their likes. :)

I do judge others, just try to do it silently. :lticaptd:

Just looked at the photos. The pen looks like mid to late 1960s with a friction fit piston. I assume the feed has two parallel lines on the face of it, but there was no photo.

If you send the pen to MB for repair, you will get a new pen except the nib and the clip. For some folks this is the desired option.

There are a few folks who can repair this pen, but parts may be the issue. I would personally try to get it repaired as this is my favorite era of 149, other than the celluloid pens of the 1950s.

As parts what you have is probably worth about $250 if you sell on a place like eBay, assuming the nib is fine and the clip is good. You can use it as a dip pen to test the nib's writing.

Here are three additional pics of the nib and feed. Also, do you know (whereabouts) what it would cost to have it serviced by MB? The nib looks to be in really good condition (to me). And I've been using it as a dip pen to test the writing; very smooth and silky. Not scratchy in the least. That said, I'm actually surprised at how long just one 'ink dip' lasted me; several pages in my journal.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gphin40672px3gu/AAADE0Xnmyw1aFI7mv_Rd6tfa?dl=0

Interestingly enough, you came to mind as I was writing that option. It is a road I have taken too and can lead to a satisfying conclusion.

With this pen, my preference for the 1960s 149s is the lack of weight towards the back of the pen. New 149s have more weight in the brass piston mechanism which changes the balance. It is a personal preference for me and not a judgement of others and their likes. :)

I'm glad you mentioned weight. This pen appears to be relatively light (to me). I mean, given its stature, etc. It's definitely on the lighter side of things. Overall and all told, I think it looks great. I just need to see about getting the piston rod replaced, etc.

I knew I would have come to your mind with that option. :D

In fact I only have one Mb 149 and it has had everything changed except the nib. Yes, even the clip. In fact it had a complete new cap, because the first time they returned it, the gold plating on the clip didn't match any of the other gold plating, and in they end they just replaced the whole cap. :wub:

I understand about the potentially slightly different balance between plastic piston threads and brass ones, but I don't see it as a great enough difference for me to keep what is still basically "an old pen," and it doesn't affect me as much, since I don't post my pens. I know I'm out there on my own with this and it seems like everyone else prefers to keep old feeds, old barrels, and old pistons. However, I'm very happy with my perfect new pens. :)

Here are three additional pics of the nib and feed. Also, do you know (whereabouts) what it would cost to have it serviced by MB? The nib looks to be in really good condition (to me). And I've been using it as a dip pen to test the writing; very smooth and silky. Not scratchy in the least. That said, I'm actually surprised at how long just one 'ink dip' lasted me; several pages in my journal.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gphin40672px3gu/AAADE0Xnmyw1aFI7mv_Rd6tfa?dl=0

Yup, that is the feed I would expect.

The nib looks great in those new photos.

You should get by with a level one service. MB does not publish prices and they change all the time. I think they are around $70 now.

Level one would likely change everything but the clip and nib. This is because the new piston housing needs a new pen body. The threads are different on the old caps so you will need a new cap too.

MB once tried to return an old cap on a new body and it was terrible as the threads did not match. It went back for a new cap without leaving the boutique.

Man, when do I get to find my garage sale pen treasure?

Yup, that is the feed I would expect.

The nib looks great in those new photos.

You should get by with a level one service. MB does not publish prices and they change all the time. I think they are around $70 now.

Level one would likely change everything but the clip and nib. This is because the new piston housing needs a new pen body. The threads are different on the old caps so you will need a new cap too.

MB once tried to return an old cap on a new body and it was terrible as the threads did not match. It went back for a new cap without leaving the boutique.

Man, when do I get to find my garage sale pen treasure?

That is crazy good news to hear. I really am liking this pen and think it looks far better than the photos suggest. I know it likely varies. But how long does a service general take?

If they are not backed up about 2 weeks. Could be less. If you are close to a boutique I would have them send it in so you save on shipping. I also trust them to track it better.