President Thomas Jefferson's Pen Maker

AAAndrew

Early on in my journey writing about the history of the steel pen, I wrote about Peregrine Williamson, the first identified steel pen maker in the US. He was an inventor, businessman, innovator. In it I mentioned an 1808 advertisement in which he included an endorsement from President Thomas Jefferson.

I recently came upon the full set of Jefferson's papers and was lucky enough to find a set of correspondence between the two. I've posted a second part to Peregrine Williamson's story with each of these letters and some commentary on each.

Enjoy!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• inkstainedruth

• Carrau

• Chmara

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are wonderful articles. I particularly love the second part with its exchange of letters between the pen-maker and Jefferson, even an offer to show Jefferson how to sharpen his nibs.

I remember seeing the metal tube pen at Monticello and wondering about it. Your detailed articles and great detective work responded to my curiosity about these pens.

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

Most interesting and enjoyable. Given Jefferson’s reputation for design and inventing, the absence of comments for improvements in his correspondence suggests he must have been pleased with the pen’s design and functionality.

This gives a wonderful perspective on the development of the nib -- and the tremendous advantages of today's metallurgy in their production for long term use of a nib. There is also a hint of how an inventor's mind and tenaciousness takes time to develop, test and then produce a product that is better than previous methods and ideas.

It is sad that the impatience of youth affects us all and we forget to look at the step by step of the development of apparently simple things like pens and penmanship, and the great amount of time and effort that went into making them "simple." This is a part of "history: too often overlooked by the broad brush of political and social events that broadly changed life and literacy through the ages. A detail of change that was either fulminated by or a part of those past ages.

• 1 month later...

I finally tracked down the original letters. The transcriptions are in the National Archives, but the originals are displayed on the Library of Congress website.

Turns out Peregrine Williamson had some pretty amazing handwriting. I wish I could get some less fuzzy copies. I'll see what I can do.

Meanwhile, here's the first letter he sent to Jefferson in January of 1808. I'm not sure if he included this clipping with it, or it was added later. I suspect the former.

fpn_1528916027__1808_01_23_pw_to_tj_firs

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Thanks again for continuing to provide us with this history-your work is appreciated!

Thank you for your meticulous research. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

• 4 months later...

The first portion of the final article is going to be published in the Autumn issue of The Pennant. The next two sections will come out in the following issues. Join thePen Collectors of America to get your own copy!

post-47048-0-61589200-1540604636_thumb.jpeg

Edited by AAAndrew

-Montaigne

• 2 months later...

Enjoy indeed! Captivating story of Peregrine Williamson and I truly enjoyed reading the correspondence between him and Thomas Jefferson. A marvelous presentation. Thank you.

Thanks, AAA, for these interesting, useful and valuable additions to pen lore. They give insight into a practical and beautiful activity: handwriting. BTW, in the Pierpont Morgan in NY, which houses Jefferson's papers, one can see samples of his own very rich round hand. He wrote beautifully, carefully but also rapidly.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Didn't Jefferson also invent a gadget to make multiple written copies at once? I don't remember what it's called, but as you write, other pens are making copies on different paper.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Didn't Jefferson also invent a gadget to make multiple written copies at once? I don't remember what it's called, but as you write, other pens are making copies on different paper.

You’re thinking of the Polygraph. He didn’t invent it, but was actively involved in constantly improving it. In my article in the latest Pennant (PCA) I have pictures of the one at Monticello. Jefferson ordered pens from Williamson to use in his polygraph. Charles Wilson Peale was also working with Jefferson to improve the invention, and was the first to suggest Jefferson should try metallic pens in it. The basic story is in the article.

-Montaigne

Thanks!

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."