What Is Your Favorite Pen? <$200

Purphoros

That's an easy question to answer, although the answer is not that specific: there are so many vintage pens from the 1960s and 1950s one can find, often for much less than US $ 100, including great stuff by Montblanc, like the 22x models. These have to be my absolute favourites because of their high quality, excellent performance and remarkably good condition. They're wonderful daily writers and a joy to use with all those great inks we're having by Diamine, R&K, KWZ and others. You have to be careful, though, and match the ink to the pen (not forgetting the paper).

I want perspective right now more than information on a specific pen. I'll check out some of the 22 series models, they sound interesting!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purphoros

• Tseg

• Driften

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Under $200 new from a store I think that the best pens are the Waterman Carene, or a Japanese one.

Alfredo

This is a fair observation... earlier I called out the Pelikan M120, but the Carene is a better writer, more elegant and similar cost. It is a robust full sized pen with lacquer on brass with a snap on cap, making it a bit less portable. It also has a bit less ink capacity with an international converter, but does have that beautiful embedded 18K nib. The Pelikan and the Carene are 2 different horses... I would favor the Pelikan for all around (portable) use and the Carene for long desk writing sessions and more formal settings. My Carene is a little more temperamental with inks and papers, but a dream with the right paring. From a 'collector' standpoint, the Pelikan is limited edition, the Carene has been around for decades.

40861633731_1829fae1d5_b.jpg

Right now, it's probably my blue marble Pelikan M200 in fine, that I bought for under $70 some twenty years ago. It was my first Pen of a Lifetime, and I prefer only my M205 aqua (a gift from my wife, and also in fine) over it. But that one is over $200.

That blue marbled is spectacular. Is it brighter in person?

This is a fair observation... earlier I called out the Pelikan M120, but the Carene is a better writer, more elegant and similar cost. It is a robust full sized pen with lacquer on brass with a snap on cap, making it a bit less portable. It also has a bit less ink capacity with an international converter, but does have that beautiful embedded 18K nib. The Pelikan and the Carene are 2 different horses... I would favor the Pelikan for all around (portable) use and the Carene for long desk writing sessions and more formal settings. My Carene is a little more temperamental with inks and papers, but a dream with the right paring. From a 'collector' standpoint, the Pelikan is limited edition, the Carene has been around for decades.

40861633731_1829fae1d5_b.jpg

You have some fantastic photos. I am not quite sold on the look of an inlaid nib, it reminded me a bit of a whale when I saw my first one and I can't seem to shake that association.

Number one for making my favorite ink look good, and is a pleasure to use: Sailor Pro Gear in rhodium trim.

Best looking: Pelikan m205 in clear blue; and it writes well.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I tried a Carene this week and was impressed. What kept me from buying it was the feel and the width of the section. That has to be exactly right for you, otherwise you'll get hand fatigue in longer sessions. It wasn't exactly right for me, but it was one heck of a good pen.

I'd definitely try some Sailors. The 1911 Standard comes to mind. Sailors do vary from one pen to the next, and not everyone likes how they feel on paper. People who like them tend to adore them, to become addicted to them (I am one of those people). Try a bunch of them in a store, if you have a click with one, then you'll love it for life.

Number one for making my favorite ink look good, and is a pleasure to use: Sailor Pro Gear in rhodium trim.

+1

27065428157_c744a72d01_k.jpg

Pelikan M200:

Smooth & Springy Steel Nib

Classic Timeless Design

Piston Filler

Large Ink Capacity

Ink Window

Usually Inked With Waterman Serenity Blue

Lamy 2000 - I purchased it for just a little of $100. 14K fine nib. Excellent writer. Always reliable.

Lamy Studio with 14K gold M nib - I purchased the Wild Rubin limited edition two years ago. I got it for around $110. This nib is butter smooth and just flows. It is definitely one of my favorites.

Delta Horsepower with fusion stub nib - I purchased this pen about 2 years ago and paid just a little of $120 for it. Again, this is one of the smoothest pens I own. Another favorite.

Italix Captains Commodore purchased from Mr. Pen. I have two of these, one is a medium cursive stub and the other is a broad oblique italic. Both are wet, smooth and very reliable.

I also have two Pilot Vanishing Points. I love them. They are very convenient when I am in meetings. But, they are finicky pens. I had them worked on by Mike Masuyama, and now they write very well when they are happy. The rest of the time, they are fussy. They only like certain inks and certain paper. And I absolutely hate the standard converter than comes with the pen. I end up refilling cartridges which work somewhat better...sometimes.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I tried a Carene this week and was impressed. What kept me from buying it was the feel and the width of the section. That has to be exactly right for you, otherwise you'll get hand fatigue in longer sessions. It wasn't exactly right for me, but it was one heck of a good pen.

I'd definitely try some Sailors. The 1911 Standard comes to mind. Sailors do vary from one pen to the next, and not everyone likes how they feel on paper. People who like them tend to adore them, to become addicted to them (I am one of those people). Try a bunch of them in a store, if you have a click with one, then you'll love it for life.

No pen stores near me. :|

Pelikan M200:

Smooth & Springy Steel Nib

Classic Timeless Design

Piston Filler

Large Ink Capacity

Ink Window

+1

Is this really under 200?

I really hope it is, it looks realllllllly nice.

Yep actually, but in gold. Only one in stock apparently, yours if you want it.

Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Sailor-Professional-Fountain-Black-11-2036-220/dp/B0025RTHRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525653595&sr=8-2&keywords=sailor+professional+gear

EDIT: Looks like its the last one from that seller but there appear to be 5 other sellers at the same price.

Edited by Purphoros

All of my pens were significantly under $200. My favorites include the Pelikan 140 as well as the M200 Brown Marbled, M200 Cognac, among others. The 140 is my most expensive at about $140 from Rick Propas. Absolutely wonderful nib.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Ok, busted... this is the King of Pen version @ 2X - 3X more than that. Good eye.

Edited by Tseg

Sub 200 is a hard one to pin a favorite label on. In no particular order, top contenders are...

- Pelikan M200 med for its capacity, good looks, & soft nib. Currently inked with Iro Yama-guri

- Parker 51s in ef to stub for their capacity, sleek design, slip cap, & smooth, stiff nibs. For the first time in a few years, none currently inked while I give other pens some time, but I've used Pelikan Turquoise, Private Reserve Sherwood Green, Noodler's Galileo's Manuscript Brown, Kiowa Pecan, Borealis Black, Antietam, Liberty's Elysium, & Van Gogh Starry Night Blue.

- Sailor Promenade hmf for that beautiful Shining Blue & gold combo & nib feel that makes me not care about the (lack of) capacity. Currently inked with Iro Kon-peki.

- Bexley Poseidon Magnum II for swiping the good looks of the Pelikan Magnum, but giving it a delicious (I want to eat the Bronze Sands & Cappuccino) acrylic body & easily swapped (for an FPNibs broad cursive italic, in this case) Jowo nib. Currently inked with Iro Ina-ho.

waterman carene - sailor deep green

pilot vanishing point - iroshizuku yama-budo

Lots of good options from Pilot, and Sailor. Also if you are buying from Cult Pens plenty of Pelikan's $200 or less, including M400's.