Mb 146 Vs Heritage 1912 — Which One To Keep?

wpj_ole

Hi! Ive been the owner of both pens for quite some time (less than a year still) and I begin to think about re-adjusting the pens in my current collection. So far, Ive sold two 149 as the size doesnt suit my daily use. But I cant decide between platinum trim 146 and 1912.

The 1912 is unique and perhaps in its own league. I used 1912 along with pelikan m800 for a while and decided to sell the pelikan. 1912 is, in my hand ymmv, just a better writing instrument (except complex filling system and a bit of what seems like an erosion inside the cap).

The 146 feels slightly more reliable. Nib is decent, but lacking character if compared to 1912.

Im leaning towards selling 146 as it might be more easily replaced by other pens, and is easy to acquire. (Also because I have some WEs, basically the same sizewise) But then again, it is classic and simple enough that I wanna keep.

Which one do you think is a keeper?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• dubhe

• invisuu

• Ghost Plane

You will get roughly twice as much for the 1912, though Id keep it and sell the 146. If I wanted another in the future they are easy to find, and possibly with a more characterful nib.

1912, hands down.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Keep the best writing experience

Which pen do you prefer using? Edited by meiers

I own both a 149 and a 1912.

Which one to sell depends on what you plan on using the remaining pen for.

The 1912 is more unique. However as a writing instrument, it is undeniably heavier than a 146 and holds less ink than a 146 does.

The 146 is more common and has a lower profile. But when it comes to a reliable daily writer and a travel companion. It is a more preferable choice comparing to 1912.

If you are looking to keep a reliable writer which accompanies you to everywhere you go, keep the 146.

If your remaining pen serves you as a status symbol or a trophy, keep the 1912

Edited by Pro-forma

I would keep the 1912 since in the future it would be more difficult to find in the second hand market (although not impossible). In my case, I do have both the 1912 and 146, and prefer using the former (heavier and nicer with a touch of modernity).

Hi,

I also own both pens. The 146 was bought long times ago and was my first "expensive" pen. So this pen will never been sold.

The Heritage 1912 is a marvellous pen. To my opinion the best pen Montblanc currently offers.

As I understand you have both pens not for a very long time. If you want to make money sell the Heritage. If you want to keep the best Montblanc pen then sell the 146.

I currently plan to reduce my number of pens. And even a 149, THE classic Montblanc pen, will be on the list for sale as I have used it very rarely. So there is no "personal" relation to this pen - classic or not.

Regards. Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

Agreed with all the above on keep the 1912.

I think with the overwhelming love for this pen, MB must be working on several pens with the same nib performance. If not they should really consider if they are a pen or accessory company.

In terms of writing experience, I would give up all my pens and keep my 1912.

Agreed with all the above on keep the 1912.

I think with the overwhelming love for this pen, MB must be working on several pens with the same nib performance. If not they should really consider if they are a pen or accessory company.

That's already been decided. They are an accessory and status company, pens are secondary. I say this as an owner of several Montblancs.

Getting back to the OP, keep the 1912, no contest. Unless of course you prefer writing with a nail over a smooth flexible nib, which some people do.

Edited by Dcharles

What makes the 1912 so special? I checked some reviews because of this thread, and reviews were not very favorable.

What makes the 1912 so special? I checked some reviews because of this thread, and reviews were not very favorable.

I'd imagine that there have been good and bad reviews for every pen ever made.

But, it's still a valid question.

Top advice.

I only have two pens inked right now: a Heritage 1912 OB and a Mark Twain WE B. All the others are on a time out.

Heed this advice. Or be doomed.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.