Modern M120 Nib As Spare

1234124124124ASDA

Hi everyone,

I have the M120 Iconic Blue for about month now and I don't know why, but I just love its steel nib experience. So much, that I even prefer it over my M400 Gold nib lately (both F).

My question is, can the nib be bought somewhere as a spare? And no, I do not like the plain look of M200 spare. I tried look for it everywhere but no luck so far...

Or if anyone here is the opposite - and upgrades his or her M120 with gold and willing to sell (if you have F)? ;-)

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1234124124124ASDA

• Tseg

• MsRedpen

• Claud

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the M120 will take a M200 SS nib????? Damn, if so I have an IB nib for it!!

Yeah you can swap between the M200, M400 and M120 no probs. I'm talking modern pens in my personal experience so if you mean vintage, rather can check this guide for more info - http://www.richardspens.com/index_m.html?page=ref/nibs/pel_nibs.htm

Now for me the only problem is to find another of those pretty special M120 nibs...

You should contact online retailers such as nibs.com (I have no affiliation with them) as they sell Pelikan Classic series pens & their special editions with upgraded M400 nibs. So it is quite possible they have a few of those M120 nibs in stock.

Hey Voltron, thanks for your suggestion. I didn't knew Nibs.com as I live in Europe so prefer local resellers. But from what I understand on their pages they also incluse the SS nib even when upgrading. But I sent them a mail anyway so we'll see.

You could probably have someone tune your other nibs?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I'm about 6 days in with me new Iconic Blue w/ M nib and I love it. The prettiest nibs I've ever had. And the writing experience rivals even the 18c nibs on my 800"s. I wouldn't mind having a duplicate nib if they were made available - not one of the standard replacement nibs!

Fair winds and following seas.

Modern 400/600 nibs are semi-nails, and fatter and blobbier than the springier regular flex 200 half a width narrower nibs.

That is the same width and flex rate as the semi-vintage regular flex 400, 381 and Celebry nibs.

It's harder to turn a semi-nail nib into a springy regular flex, than to just tune the tip.

Starting more from the wetter semi-flex which is better for line variation, I learned to like the dryer regular flex, for shading. M and F are good in regular flex for two toned shading.

That is a very pretty 200 nib :notworthy1: :thumbup: ....even if it's for the 120. It is more a 'bronze' coating than gold from what I see in the picture.

I can see why you'd want to go that way.

Please do let us know what one costs.........

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That is a very pretty 200 nib :notworthy1: :thumbup: ....even if it's for the 120. It is more a 'bronze' coating than gold from what I see in the picture.

Sorry, that is my flawed photographic craft. In reality, the nib is about the same gold/shine/luster as the gold furniture. I'm not sure how/why the camera made it turn out like that. This is a (slightly) better representation.

28069433058_3f16fe9582_k.jpg

Edited by Tseg

Hi, so I got reply from Nibs.com but no luck there. I also wrote message to Pelikan facebook page and they told me to rather contact German service department directly. I will write them today and keep you updated if anyone wants this nib too :-)

Hi, so I got reply from Nibs.com but no luck there. I also wrote message to Pelikan facebook page and they told me to rather contact German service department directly. I will write them today and keep you updated if anyone wants this nib too :-)

Hmm. Contact the manufacturer directly... why didn't I think of that? Hopefully they are not like Rolex where you have to give one to get one.

Vendors can get nibs via special order but I don't know that this nib would be included amongst them since this is a special edition. Please report back though if you are able to find a source.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Great news! While looking for the spare nib, I also decided to address my problem with the M120 pen itself – a tiny bit loose filling knob. Both the reseller (Fritz Schipmf) and the Pelikan agreed this will be replaced under warranty, so I tried to push a little and ask for another nib – but no luck from them both.

But I got another tip from fellow FPN member to get in touch with Niche Pens as they apparently had some. They replied quickly saying they only have one last Medium.
So I decided to buy it (even though I was looking for Fine) nevertheless. And
to my big surprise, one hour later mail came saying they just randomly found a Fine nib - in completely wrong storage while completing somebody else’s order - and they will ship that one to me instead, if I want!! The hell I want it! :D Probably my luckiest pen-day so far!

So, if anybody is looking for one as well, there is still that Medium waiting! ;)

Good for you!!!

It is great to see only positives on the performance of new M120 nibs throughout the forum.

(off to check if that M is still around at nichepens, thanks for sharing :) )

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

@MsRedpen, I hope you were successful!

Mine arrived today and I think the special edition nib matches the overall look of Souverän perfectly!

post-141790-0-77750700-1526469745_thumb.jpg

post-141790-0-65107600-1526469751_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, EF is on the way!

It will replace the standard M in my Cafe Creme.

MattD - thanks for the tip!

Edited by MsRedpen

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

I agree. The steel Pelikan nibs are as nice as my M800 18K. Who would have thought? I have a fine and I love it.