Colorverse - Dark Energy Ink Review

Intensity

I don’t have Oku-Yama but have looked into getting it in the past. Ultimately I didn’t, because it’s a much more vivid dark red kind of color, makes me think of blood. Dark Energy is more brown, more murky. It goes down on the page as a more pure maroon color, but as it dries, it turns more muted browny.

(I agree about the Conklin Duragraph--it's the "Merlot" one that Goulet had on super sale. It goes really well with Diamine Syrah too--another one of my favorite inks. I've had the nib reground to a medium-fine cursive italic, and now it's extra great, being also on the springy side. One of my favorite pens, despite being such a bargain.)

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• Honeybadgers

• TSherbs

• amberleadavis

Wow that reminds me of Penman Ruby.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow that reminds me of Penman Ruby.

Never tried that one, but looking at on-line images of writing samples, I can definitely see the similarity. Dark Energy is perhaps a touch more brown, especially because the color-shift due to sheen can be quite strong. Without the sheen, they do seem really similar.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Got a small sample size bottle at the Little Rock Pen show as a prize, haven't tried it yet! Thanks for the review!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of the sample pics make the ink look chalky to me. Is that not the case?

It's not chalky. It's possibly the green sheen doing the opposite color effect that's creating some optical illusion. While it's not a glossy surface ink, it's definitely not chalky. It's like Sailor's Tokiwa Matsu, but I think a bit more glossy than that even.

• 6 months later...

I picked up a sample of Dark Energy, and while Colorverse inks are hilariously expensive (unless you compare them to the new Sailor prices), I think I have to get a bottle (well, two bottles) of this ink. I love the color, I love the sheen, and it's just *such* a lovely, smooth ink. And the moderate water resistance has already saved a postcard I sent to a friend, after he spilled an entire glass of iced tea across it. And I have to admit it: I think the bottles are really neat, and I generally don't care at all about the bottle an ink comes in.

• 4 weeks later...

Never tried that one, but looking at on-line images of writing samples, I can definitely see the similarity. Dark Energy is perhaps a touch more brown, especially because the color-shift due to sheen can be quite strong. Without the sheen, they do seem really similar.

I have a fill in a pen now. It is more more brown than Penman Ruby, but the washes look a lot like Penman Ruby. I'll try and find some ink tests. BTW, I expected this ink to be MUCH DARKER.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 months later...

My understanding of why the ink is expensive is that it uses plant-based dyes and an antibacterial agent to keep the ink stable over time. Anytime you get plant-based dyes involved, the cost tends to go up, because the product supply isn't as consistent as synthetic dyes. Natural dyes can also be far more finicky about how they'll play with other chemicals than synthetics.

My understanding of why the ink is expensive is that it uses plant-based dyes and an antibacterial agent to keep the ink stable over time. Anytime you get plant-based dyes involved, the cost tends to go up, because the product supply isn't as consistent as synthetic dyes. Natural dyes can also be far more finicky about how they'll play with other chemicals than synthetics.

Interesting!

I'm still a huge fan of Colorverse inks. Dark Energy remains one of my favorites.

I have been massively disappointed in colorverse inks. Dark energy is just a smeary mess compared to oku yama. And the packaging is way too large, the bottles are way too impractical, the tiny bottles are worthless, and the whole thing is just overpriced. I'm a huge sci fi sucker, but colorverse disappointed, especially compared to nemosine's line, which was awesome and 1/3 the price.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Don’t know what you mean about smeary mess—this ink doesn’t smear on any paper I’ve used it on, once dried, including Tomoe River. It’s very similar in performance to inks like Sailor Tokiwa Matsu, in my experience.

I have been massively disappointed in colorverse inks. Dark energy is just a smeary mess compared to oku yama. And the packaging is way too large, the bottles are way too impractical, the tiny bottles are worthless, and the whole thing is just overpriced. I'm a huge sci fi sucker, but colorverse disappointed, especially compared to nemosine's line, which was awesome and 1/3 the price.

Come on. You're comparing very different levels of ink here. Nemosine is a company making products geared toward the inexpensive/beginner end of the FP market. Colorverse is shooting towards a higher end market. They're using more expensive materials and processes than Nemosine, which explains a good deal of the difference in prices. Even then, have you not run the equivalent prices of some inks?

With Colorverse you get 80 ml of ink for $36 MSRP. The old style Bungubox cost $43 for 50 ml; that would run you $68.80 for 80ml. Caran d'Ache is $41.50 for 50 ml ($66.40 for 80 ml). The new Sailor 20 ml Four Seasons inks run $15 ($60 for 80 ml). J Herbin 1798 inks have been running $32 for 50 ml ($51.20 for 80 ml). Nagasawa Kobe inks are $30 for 50 ml ($48 for 80 ml). Sailor inks like Sky High run $25 for 50 ml ($40 for 80 ml). Colorverse is definitely less expensive compared to all of those.

You want an ink to complain about regarding price? Try the new Bungubox rip-off Montblanc "shoe" bottles running $50 for 20 ml, which comes out to $200 for 80 ml. THAT is insane.

As for the rest of your complaints:

I've had ZERO problems using Colorverse inks with any kind of pen or quality paper. I haven't used it yet on my cheapie store brand paper that has held up to fine point FPs with ease, but on Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Maruman, Apica, Midori and Kokuyo Sarasara, it works great. This has been consistent across all of the Colorverse inks I've owned, and I own one from each season.

The large bottles are no worse than Sailor cosmetic pot bottles, and are actually a good deal more practical. The little bottles are for swapping, for those who like to do such a thing, which is indeed common in Korea. I know that you don't like that answer, but it doesn't change that this is a cultural difference that has played a factor in the concept behind the product and packaging. As it is, the packaging is close enough to the right size for two bottles of ink, one of them 65 ml, especially the new style of box with secure packing inside to protect the bottles, which not many ink companies do for customers. Plus the goodies inside are fun--and, again, not many inkmakers do that. I like those touches.

The seal to cut open will do so smoothly and cleanly if you use a box cutter, so I don't understand the complaint there, either.

But then I'm not looking for any fault I can find to justify a determination to hate a particular ink brand.

Edited by Aquaria

Don’t know what you mean about smeary mess—this ink doesn’t smear on any paper I’ve used it on, once dried, including Tomoe River. It’s very similar in performance to inks like Sailor Tokiwa Matsu, in my experience.

I've had severe smearing issues (even 3-5 minutes after writing) in wetter nibs on rhodia, clairefontaine, mnemosyne, apica, Tomoe and kokuyo.

Maybe I just got a bad batch but I've also had bad smearing issues with quasar, string, and brane. So I dunno. Maybe you just got a lucky batch or I got severely unlucky.

I also hate the box and the tiny useless bottle of ink. forcing me to cut the label to open the box is a terrible idea for those of us who display the inks on shelves in their boxes, and they take up an ENORMOUS amount of real estate. Four boxes of colorverse ink take up the same as ten boxes of lamy crystal or the entire 12 ink hero line.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Come on. You're comparing very different levels of ink here. Nemosine is a company making products geared toward the inexpensive/beginner end of the FP market. Colorverse is shooting towards a higher end market. They're using more expensive materials and processes than Nemosine, which explains a good deal of the difference in prices. Even then, have you not run the equivalent prices of some inks?

With Colorverse you get 80 ml of ink for $36 MSRP. The old style Bungubox cost $43 for 50 ml; that would run you $68.80 for 80ml. Caran d'Ache is $41.50 for 50 ml ($66.40 for 80 ml). The new Sailor 20 ml Four Seasons inks run $15 ($60 for 80 ml). J Herbin 1798 inks have been running $32 for 50 ml ($51.20 for 80 ml). Nagasawa Kobe inks are $30 for 50 ml ($48 for 80 ml). Sailor inks like Sky High run $25 for 50 ml ($40 for 80 ml). Colorverse is definitely less expensive compared to all of those.

Let me preface this with saying that you're absolutely entitled to think 100% opposite to me and you're not wrong because all we're spouting is opinion. But I personally disagree.

Just because other companies are trying to rip you off doesn't justify it. Bungubox used to be way less expensive. It's just sailor ink. then it got popular. And the fancy bottle kinda helped justify it. Now it's almost a joke to many of us, the garbage sailor bottle holding regular sailor ink for three times what jentle used to cost. Caran d'ache is also a huge price but their bottle is much better and their ink is well behaved.

Sailor seems to just have an idea to see just how far they can push the market with their products. The jentle line went from my 100% go-to recommendation to near dead last in the past year because of their psychopathic pricing changes.

J. Herbin 1798 are shimmer inks (lower demand, more difficulty to mix and bottle, more components to the inks, these can contribute to cost increases. Even diamine shimmer inks cost a little more and nobody would accuse them of poor value) and you can routinely find them for $20-25. They definitely have the worst bottles in the industry though.

Sorry, but nothing you said exculpates colorverse and their poor quality ink in nice looking but impractical bottles in terrible packaging (forcing someone to cut the label to open the box is stupid design 101, as is not actually testing the efficacy of your bottle design before putting it into service.)

If you want to compare colorverse to a proper upmarket brand that is doing everything right, how about we look at Iroshizuku? Those are INCREDIBLY time tested and well regarded, high quality inks. They used to cost $30 a bottle. But they dropped the price to $20 with zero compromise in quality. Their bottles are elegant and nearly perfect in functionality, the packaging is wonderful and smart, and they do it all without forcing you to buy a box that takes up the same space as four of their boxes just to include a stupid mini bottle that is utterly useless or pile you with stickers and a cheap cardboard pen rest and bookmark.

Nemosine inks are wonderfully high quality, the bottles are smart and well made, the packaging is simple and clean. I've got the entire nemosine line and every single ink in it is perfectly mannered, with lovely colors and a few incredible standouts (blue snowball nebula is INSANE, with red sheen and monstrous silver shimmer, while still maintaining perfect manners)

I don't think you understand what "high end" even means in regards to ink. I'd argue pilot blue black would still be adored if you put it in a limited edition mont blanc bottle. Firstly, an ink must be well behaved. All four bottles I own of colorverse are bad in this regard. Quasar, string, brane, and dark energy. Second, it should probably be in a nice bottle. Colorverse is halfway there, they made it look nice but it functions terribly. Anything else is superfluous. Just chasing exclusivity by charging a lot is asinine. Mont Blanc barely gets a pass on their pens because they give those plastic pens an insanely huge nib, self filler, high fit and finish and superb customer support (high levels of customer service can also help, and maybe colorverse is great, but I can't say either way)

I inked a sample vial of gravity wave into a pilot custom 74 F and a lamy CP-1 14k OM, and both had smeary behavior and > 45second dry times on even my fairly absorbent kokuyo. Even 5 minutes later, it could still be smudged a bit. That's not a "premium ink" behavior. Sailor's yama dori is nearly identical in color, cost a third per mL, and doesn't have these problems.

Edited by Honeybadgers

++++👍🏻

You want an ink to complain about regarding price? Try the new Bungubox rip-off Montblanc "shoe" bottles running $50 for 20 ml, which comes out to $200 for 80 ml. THAT is insane.

As for the rest of your complaints:

I've had ZERO problems using Colorverse inks with any kind of pen or quality paper. I haven't used it yet on my cheapie store brand paper that has held up to fine point FPs with ease, but on Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Maruman, Apica, Midori and Kokuyo Sarasara, it works great. This has been consistent across all of the Colorverse inks I've owned, and I own one from each season.

The large bottles are no worse than Sailor cosmetic pot bottles, and are actually a good deal more practical. The little bottles are for swapping, for those who like to do such a thing, which is indeed common in Korea. I know that you don't like that answer, but it doesn't change that this is a cultural difference that has played a factor in the concept behind the product and packaging. As it is, the packaging is close enough to the right size for two bottles of ink, one of them 65 ml, especially the new style of box with secure packing inside to protect the bottles, which not many ink companies do for customers. Plus the goodies inside are fun--and, again, not many inkmakers do that. I like those touches.

The seal to cut open will do so smoothly and cleanly if you use a box cutter, so I don't understand the complaint there, either.

But then I'm not looking for any fault I can find to justify a determination to hate a particular ink brand.

Dont know what you mean about smeary messthis ink doesnt smear on any paper Ive used it on, once dried...

I can't imagine that he meant AFTER it was dried.

I understood exactly what he meant: "I was disappointed, and here is why..."

I have not been interested in Colorverse mostly because I find the colors boring and the ink expensive and the ink names nonsensical (some of the OS names bug me, too, especially when author names are used). <shrug>

What's the beef here?

Hey all, let's remember to be cheerful.

I can't imagine that he meant AFTER it was dried.

That's even more confusing--before any ink dries it can be a smeary mess :o