Journal Protection Pouch/case?

Midx

Hey guys,

Has anyone come across a travel case or pouch for a thick A5 journal similar to this:

journal.jpg

Ideally I'd like a zipped, weather-resistant container that will protect the journal when in my suitcase. I had some (slightly) damaged pages recently, when a rogue shoe got squashed into the journal while in my suitcase! I want something that's just big enough to hold an A5 thick journal, with maybe enough room to slide a pen inside too.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cursive Child

• OCArt

• Midx

• Preserved_Killick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My best suggestion to look into one of the zippered travel pouches sold by The Container Store in the U.S. (containerstore.com) or seek out another source in the U.K. that sells travel accessories.

Edited by Bennett

Bellroy makes an A5 folio that is quite expensive but very nice - might not be what you’re looking for, though if I had the money to burn I’d buy one...Bellroy makes great stuff. So tthe concept is out there! I haven’t seen many that “zip up” though.

https://bellroy.com/products/work-folio-a5/leather/caramel#image-5

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

The biggest consideration to keep in mind, in my opinion, is to inquire about the manufacturer of the zippers, if not already listed. Not all are made the same in regards to keeping the elements out.

• 3 years later...

Came across this topic, with a similar need. I want to make sure I can store a nice pen inside and have it be protected.

My journaling setup is a Seven Seas notebook, about 15 mm thick, and a 0.75 in thick Urushi Lacquer pen or a Pelikan M815, which are my prize pens, and kept in cloth sleeves in a case.

I want the convenience of carrying the journal and one or both those pens around, but cannot compromise on putting undue pressure or scratches on them.

Would like to get an A5 sized padfolio / cover that is thick enough so it has room inside for that. It does not have to be leather, although that is preferred. Vegetable tanned. Does not have to be zippered, but preferred.

I was considering the Galen Leather A5 Zippered Potfolio, but based on some reviews, it may be a squeeze for the pens.

https://www.galenleather.com/collections/zippered-leather-portfolio/products/leather-zippered-a5-leuchtturm1917-notebook-folio-undyed-leather

Someone posted the Franklin Christoph Padfolios, the leather one is out of stock. Customer service says there is enough room for thick pens. Any experience with them would be welcome.

https://www.franklin-christoph.com/collections/notebook-covers/products/waxed-canvas-padfolios
https://www.franklin-christoph.com/collections/notebook-covers/products/zippered-padfolio

I'm not looking at anything that has a loop on the outside (Lihit Labs, Lochby, etc.)

Levenger has products, but not sure if the leather is veg tanned or not. The store or customer service have no clue.

https://www.levenger.com/tech-1262/tech-cases-22519/expedition-tech-case-17753.aspx

Ideas welcome

• 8 months later...

I just got the Galen Leather A5/10 pen case. If you use a softcover notebook there should be no problem. Getting a hardcover one in there can be done, but if it has a thick cover it’s a squeeze. As you can see I really like hefty pens, so ten are a tight fit and I usually wouldn’t have ten inked, but I’m trying out some new pens here. The notebooks pictured all fit in the case with the ten fat pens. The Musubi, the Life Notes and the Kunisawa fit no problem, and the Barnes and Noble cheapo and the Tekukor were tight but I could still zip the case. If you use more slender pens there should be no problem at all. And if I only have five pens in this case, a thicker hardcover does fit. I think Galen is a great company, their packaging is first rate. It does take a while to get what you order, but the products are high quality - I have the five pen zippered case as well, and am waiting on their writing box. Hope this helps!

D5C936CD-1485-41F6-9B7B-EA5432940C01.jpeg

43298F2D-B7FC-427D-99DE-6A36E24AE574.jpeg

Lihit Lab makes two products I've used for this: a "bag in bag," as well as something they call a pouch, but which includes a strap so that I'd call it a B5 mini messenger bag.  Both are perfect for carrying and protecting your A5 journals.

https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Bag-in-Bags/ct/1283

https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Smart-Fit-Carrying-Pouches/ct/2110?&f=9a649fdf564d89bf

On 2/20/2022 at 8:25 AM, Preserved_Killick said:

Lihit Lab makes two products I've used for this: a "bag in bag," as well as something they call a pouch, but which includes a strap so that I'd call it a B5 mini messenger bag.  Both are perfect for carrying and protecting your A5 journals.

https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Bag-in-Bags/ct/1283

https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Smart-Fit-Carrying-Pouches/ct/2110?&f=9a649fdf564d89bf

What are the differences between these two? I'm a little confused.

4 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

What are the differences between these two? I'm a little confused.

The carrying pouches are larger (B5, as opposed to A5), and can take a shoulder strap to be worn as a small messenger bag.  These can hold two or even three A5 journals.

The "bag in bag" is smaller -- really just large enough for an A5 journal.

• 2 weeks later...

OH, and if you are looking for an inexpensive bag, consider the zipper document bags. They are very useful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY