Getting A Genuine Hero 616

Dip n Scratch

If the subject has been done to death, sorry.

How does one ensure that you are getting the best version?

That's weird: A knock-off of a knock-off.

The worst are like dragging a finger nail on a emery board, not surprising given that the nib is very fine.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Dip n Scratch

• sciumbasci

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

Actually its not the pen you should be worrying about, its the seller ... just as in shopping for anything you want to goto a reputable merchant who honestly do his/her business. And on that subject the 616 actually had very little other than the appearance that's really relayed to the Parker 51, it might use the same mechanism ( aerometric filling, hooded nib ) but its more a home grown and even if comparing it would be closer to a Parker 21 instead of the Parker 51.

But of course the 616 would be a black hole for many as the pen was in production for so long and still in current production that inevitably would have many variations.

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 1 month later...

So... What is the best hooded nib Hero pen (in theory).

The best hooded Hero pen I experienced had a gold coloured chevron inset on the section: This way upwards marker.

I suspect that they were Hero 330, but other pens may have had this marker.

I know that it soon tarnished & the pen had a rounded barrel end.

So... What is the best hooded nib Hero pen (in theory).

The best hooded Hero pen I experienced had a gold coloured chevron inset on the section: This way upwards marker.

I suspect that they were Hero 330, but other pens may have had this marker.

I know that it soon tarnished & the pen had a rounded barrel end.

yours is more likely a 329-2 , that chevron is actually a soft 6.9K or 8K gold content copper based soft alloy piece so it easily polishes. now as for the best Hero hooded nib .. well that depend on what constitute best; the Hero 100 and all its variant certainly rank right up there but certainly a lot of the newer hooded nib with say C/C filling and integral feed can certainly made claim ( from an actual usage and user frinedly POV ) pens like the 573 / 285 / 763 or even just many of the new ones as I've shown in the show and tell thread

• 2 weeks later...

I have had truly awful examples of these hooded nib pens, such that they were filled, tried, emptied & binned within half an hour of receipt. Nibs as scratchy as a hair shirt & equally unpleasant experience in use.

The fun is finding something acceptable for a pound or dollar. Better odds than with a 1 arm bandit.

These sort of pens are what you would use where the work situation means there is a chance of loss through breakage or loss So you keep a handful & a bottle of ink in a drawer or your locker.

I inked a Hero 366 with Parker Royal Blue. The Hero writes decently with this ink.

I don't yet know whether the user experience is worse with other inks in my arsenal.

One of the very important aspect of how these nib behave ad to do with its origin and its designed intent. quite obviously it was not designed for cursive or any form of Latin based language writing, and as one might expect, these nibs are all tuned and with a grind catered for writing the Chinese language which dictates that it write different and with very different flow, feedback, toothy-ness so to speak.

A lot of the complain come from this single element of customer expectation ( or rather misconception ). And also Chinese fountain pen , especially vintage models tend to require run in to the nib ( typically after a single fill of writing minimal ). End users are expected, in fact encouraged to tune for their own ( in light of fact that the Chinese language had many different Hands of writing style and execution ). Its not uncommon to see 2 identical fountain pen model from 2 different user to end up with vastly different tip profile even if they tend to write the same HAND ( cursive writing in Latin based language seldom demand such big difference ).

if one check the tipping of these older models ( and also many new one ) one would see tha the tipping generally fellow more or less a 2 bladed spring clasped together type of grind instead of a more round off grind as most European fountain pen would had and this usually put those writing in cursive in a very disadvantage if not knowing.

Edited by Mech-for-i

Buy from a reputable seller is your best bet: mentag, jewelrymathematics, office_supplies_pens (he's a registered member here) and art-pen-book-dy all have been extensively recommended from satisfied customers here on FPN.

The best version of the 616 is indeed the 616 Doctor, I bought one and gifted multiple, all have been satisfied with the product.

Now, what is the best version among the Hero hooded nib pens might be up for debate. Hero 100? Hero 1000? I don't even know what is the difference between them So I cannot say for sure. But among the 616 variants? The Doctor is where the stuff is at!

• 1 year later...

Actually its not the pen you should be worrying about, its the seller ... just as in shopping for anything you want to goto a reputable merchant who honestly do his/her business. And on that subject the 616 actually had very little other than the appearance that's really relayed to the Parker 51, it might use the same mechanism ( aerometric filling, hooded nib ) but its more a home grown and even if comparing it would be closer to a Parker 21 instead of the Parker 51.

But of course the 616 would be a black hole for many as the pen was in production for so long and still in current production that inevitably would have many variations.

It was one time i believe the third version of Hero 616 beside the Hero 616 jumbo and Hero 616 Small and that version has the same length with the cap on as the 616 Jumbo but it has a longer section (I do not speak about the fake Hero 616) . Do you know that pen name or any link to buy It would be great . I also could not find anymore any Hero 616 A . If you got any links for those fountain pens on TaoBao i will greatly appreciate . Thanks so much Mech !
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Well making thing simpler these days Hero only catalog 3 different 616 ; the 616 small ; the 616 standard ( aka jumbo , mid size ) ; & 616 standard with gold plated cap ; nothing else . The 616Plus is a totally different pen but essentially same in physical dimension ergonomics and well usage