Non-Esterbrook Nibs For Dipless Pen Holders

frotz

I'm quite fond of using an Esterbrook Dipless inkwell because it ensures that a nice pen will always be at my desk, so I don't have to fish around in my satchel for a fountain pen or remember where I put it. Naturally, the pen holders these inkwells are designed for are designed to accept Esterbrook "renew point" nibs. After I realized that my previous nib was so dry because of nib damage, I swapped it out for a new-in-box one (both 9550). This new one writes wet enough, but is very scratchy. Before I go beyond the paper bag method of polishing the nib, I was thinking of perhaps fitting the pen holder with a different make of nib... say, one from Pelikan. My Pelikan nibs have always been glass-smooth out of the box. Has anyone tried this? What were your results?

Edited by frotz

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frotz

• AAAndrew

• Tom Heath

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a scratchy 9550, then you have a damaged pen. Can you return it? These should be quite smooth enough.

There are some other brands of nibs that fit Esterbrook, but none as good of quality as Esterbrook.

You could try and find one of the very earliest Dipless. These use a replaceable nib rather than the Renew Points nibs. You might be able to find a smoother gold nib that fits, but the pens for these are pretty rare.

I'd just try another Renew Point.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I'd go to Anderson Pens and see what nibs they have. Brian will stand behind his nibs.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Or you can swap the nib itself. I have a generic Chinese nib in mine, and it is SMOOTH.

Caution, you need to be very careful removing the collar from the nib assembly, or you could destroy the collar.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

It pays to experiment, worst scenario is you revert back to what works.

A good supply of Estie nibs is wonderful to have so many choices.

Swapping out of the cartridge can be done but do it with practice first

On the subject of trial and error

I did remove a Mont Blanc 146 Nib due to a broken tine, once it was apart I ventured to install a vintage Carter Nib being long and pointy it is working out quite well.

The MB nib is out for re-tipping.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today