Prices Of Pens In Japanese Stores

julikko

Hello all,

I am going to spend a couple of weeks in Japan (mostly Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka) and I plan to look at some pens over there. Does anyone know how do prices compare with Japanese pens sold at discounted prices by online US stores? E.g., the Platinum 3776 Century has, I believe, a price list of $220, yet it can be bought at Amazon for $76. Itoya has it on their website at Y 16,200 ($148).

What are the chances of finding really good deals in the land where the sun does actually shine?

The problem with ideas is that good ideas and bad ideas look about the same until you put them into practice.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julikko

• MCWB

• fabri00

• katanankes

Very slim chances with regular models... most stores sell at full retail price and ad hoc discounts are not in the cards. As a visitor, in stores like Itoya and the big department stores you get the sale tax (8%) back.

In Osaka the department store Hankyu in Umeda offers a 5% discount to foreign visitors (visited one year ago, but I think it is a running thing). I heard that Morita, again in Osaka, sells at a discount, but he does not speak English.

There are a few places selling at a 20% discount in Tokyo: the sellers of the Ameyoko market and the department store Sekaido (but you do not get the 8% sale tax back, so it is not really a 20% discount...). In Tokyo Kingdom Note has second hand pens.

In general, for regular models, online you can find cheaper prices. I think the real attraction of visiting fountain pen shops in Japan is a) opportunity to test a variety of pens and inks "live" and B) stocking up on Japanese exclusive models, many times limited to just one store. Also, in these store you can find pens even from a decade ago still lingering around.

Have fun and search the forum history, it is full of trip reports.

So shopping for pens in Japan. It's a very different mindset than when shopping for pens here in the US.

Why you'd pay full retail in Japan? For complete inventory and AMAZING and I mean amazing customer service. They answer your questions, let you try pens all day if you want, if you find the nib still not quite to your liking, you can get advice from the resident nib meister. If you're a tourist and have others you're traveling with, chances are that they don't have the patience to spend 2-3 days traipsing around the city looking for different pen shops. Itoya is basically a one stop shop. Bring your friends with you. While they are oggling at paper, and stickers on the 7 other floors, you can spend the 45 mins or so, trying to narrow down on the pen you'd spend your hard earned cash. Yes you pay full retail. Worth it? Definitely because you're happy with a pen you love, that you know it writes, and once you're done, your friends and you are off to the next Japanese sight.

There are pen stores around Tokyo that offers pens at a significant discount. Caveat. NO Nakayas or Namikis. In case you were wondering. Those can only be found at Itoya and Maruzen. Pilot, Platinums and Sailors can be found at other pen stores at discounts. But their stocks are incomplete, and often don't have the pens you want. Either in the exotic music nib or waverly you were dying to get. They almost always have fine and mediums. I chanced onto a basic silver trimmed plastic bodies KOP at such a shop. They were having a weekend 20% off their already regular 20% off. That was a sweet day for me. But can you get that price again? No. And since then, they don't seem to have that pen in stock again.

Hope this helps.

I don't know why everyone who travels to Japan thinks that he will get stuff cheaper here. Of course, less than US MRP, but you'll still end up paying the Japan MRP. No discounting on that (or at least I haven't seen any). Basic idea (like one of the posters above said) is that you have access to much more wider range of products than what is available online and you get to try them before buying.

I have rarely seen prices in discounted stores lower than or even comparable to the online stores on Amazon or rakuten. And then stock shortage..

I would recommend going to Itoya Ginza and trying out the pens you would like to buy. Shosaikan and Maruzen are other options.

@katanankes: Morita in Osaka has 20% discount I think.

Edit: Shosaikan and Maruzen are in Tokyo. There are Maruzen stores in other cities as well but I am not familiar with those except that one time when I was told that a particular pen and ink I wanted is still available in a Maruzen store 500kms away from Tokyo. Needless to say, I gave up.

Edited by Mew

Thank you very much for all the good advice. I will post with my catch when I come back!

The problem with ideas is that good ideas and bad ideas look about the same until you put them into practice.

Try Kingdom Note in Shinjuku. They have a few 'used' pens sold at a discount.

Recently purchased a Kingdom Note LE wood Platinum Izumo (thirty made) for the equivalent of $420.

Pen was new in box and returned by original buyer or giftee. Because it was 'second hand', it could not be sold as new. That weekend Kingdom Note had further discounted the pen and it was mine.

Recently, they had another of the model for sale. Number 17. Mine was number 3.

Also recently found a super-discounted Platinum 3776 LE made for Mitsukoshi at Mitsukoshi. Last time I looked they were about 40% off list.Probably gone by now.

Otherwise, look to pay full price. There are good opportunities to purchase pens not often found overseas.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I heard that Morita, again in Osaka, sells at a discount, but he does not speak English.

morita understand some english, so that it is possible to communicate with him easier than employees in department stores.

Prices are very good, but the problem is that he does not accept credit cards.

In big shops vat deduction could also be asked.

Hello all,

I am going to spend a couple of weeks in Japan (mostly Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka) and I plan to look at some pens over there. Does anyone know how do prices compare with Japanese pens sold at discounted prices by online US stores? E.g., the Platinum 3776 Century has, I believe, a price list of $220, yet it can be bought at Amazon for $76. Itoya has it on their website at Y 16,200 ($148).

What are the chances of finding really good deals in the land where the sun does actually shine?

Look for the largest of the engeika stores which has the largest supply of the most fabulous pens they have two stores to my knowledge which are just full of the most fantastic kinds of pens at Fantastic prices, Trust me, Oneill

I would recommend that you go try out store exclusive ink while in Japan. You might be able to find some pens even outside of Japan. Ink, on the other hand, is virtually impossible

I would recommend that you go try out store exclusive ink while in Japan. You might be able to find some pens even outside of Japan. Ink, on the other hand, is virtually impossible

Dont forget the store exclusive pens!

Too many pens; too little writing.

wait isnt Platinum's MRP for the 3776 Century 10K yen?

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/fountainpen_century_new.html

I mean yeah... basic form is 10K yen

Nice = 20K yen

Rhodium 15K

Itoya and other department stores also give foreigner discount so the "cheapness" is subjective to exchange rate

havent tried Kingdom Note but I think they also have tax-free for foreigners

Maruzen however doesnt give tax free for that matter

to get your tax rebate DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR PASSPORT this is important

take note though if you are buying FPs under 20K yen buy a converter because they dont come with them

Edited by Algester

Bungbox now operates a store in the Ometesando area, not far from Shosaikan which makes the trip to that area more worth the while. Check their schedule through. They are not open everyday and keep a very irregular schedule.

• 7 months later...

morita understand some english, so that it is possible to communicate with him easier than employees in department stores.

Prices are very good, but the problem is that he does not accept credit cards.

In big shops vat deduction could also be asked.

Morita does indeed accept credit cards, indeed I made a purchase there today using that payment method. Prices are, as stated, a 20% discount on list price but you'll pay the 8% tax (unlike some tax-free vendors).

Thank you very much for all the good advice. I will post with my catch when I come back!

So how was your trip? Were you able to score any special acquisitions?

Morita does indeed accept credit cards, indeed I made a purchase there today using that payment method. Prices are, as stated, a 20% discount on list price but you'll pay the 8% tax (unlike some tax-free vendors).

Good to know that Morita now accept credit cards.

The last time I went to his shop he did not accepted any. Probably that was 2 years ago.

Good to know that Morita now accept credit cards.

The last time I went to his shop he did not accepted any. Probably that was 2 years ago.

I'm not sure whether it's just me, but I am finding that a lot more places (at least in the big cities) now accept credit cards than 5-10 years ago. A nice change!