Identification And Info. On Parker Vacumatic Please?

Chrissy

A friend of mine has asked me if a few pens can be fixed. The first one is a Parker Vacumatic with a lockdown filler. It has a Canadian imprint. I had a look around and think it's a Standard Lockdown with a jewellers band on the cap, but it's not 14mm wide at it's widest point on the barrel, it's more like 12mm wide.

Please can anyone identify the correct model and tell me what size vac tool I would need for the filler? Regular or Maxima? Also, does the lockdown filler have to be unlocked and in the out position before I start?

When I flushed it with water it took in a little water and I was able to flush it, but it doesn't fill properly. I only get a few drops of water going into the barrel. The other thing is that it has flushed lot's of ink out but it's now soaking what looks like rusty water into a wad of kitchen towel. Will that mean it might need a new breather tube?

If it's going to be too complicated I will give it back to her and say she needs to get it fixed by an expert. The main thing that concerns me is getting the old pellet out of the cup. I think I could manage the rest of the sac replacement. The only previous one I did was an ordinary 51 vac, and bought a complete new pump assembly.

It's also missing a jewel on the filler cap. Should this be a jewel with some sort of a gold plated surround or just a black screw in jewel? Is it possible to find those as spares like Parker 51 jewels or is this version completely different?

Pics:

fpn_1524842712__parker_vacumatic_0001.jpfpn_1524842726__parker_vacumatic_0002.jp

fpn_1524842737__parker_vacumatic_0003.jpfpn_1524842749__parker_vacumatic_0004.jp

fpn_1524842761__parker_vacumatic_0005.jp

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Methersgate

• Freddy

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has asked me if a few pens can be fixed. The first one is a Parker Vacumatic with a lockdown filler. It has a Canadian imprint. I had a look around and think it's a Standard Lockdown with a jewellers band on the cap, but it's not 14mm wide at it's widest point on the barrel, it's more like 12mm wide.

Please can anyone identify the correct model and tell me what size vac tool I would need for the filler? Regular or Maxima? Also, does the lockdown filler have to be unlocked and in the out position before I start?

When I flushed it with water it took in a little water and I was able to flush it, but it doesn't fill properly. I only get a few drops of water going into the barrel. The other thing is that It has flushed lot's of ink out but it's now soaking what looks like rusty water into a wad of kitchen towel. Will that mean it might need a new breather tube?

If it's going to be too complicated I will give it back to her and say she needs to get it fixed by an expert. The main thing that concerns me is getting the old pellet out of the cup. I think I could manage the rest of the sac replacement. The only previous one I did was an ordinary 51 vac, and bought a complete new pump assembly.

It's also missing a jewel on the filler cap. Should this be a jewel with some sort of a gold plated surround or just a black screw in jewel? Is it possible to find those as spares like Parker 51 jewels or is this version completely different?

1- Parker Junior Vacumatic.. standard girth..2-Regular Vac wrench..3-No difference..4-Open it and you'll find out..5-If you don't have all the necessary tools and experience

Let a pro do it..6- yes..it will need a gold plated tassie and black jewel and or a whole short blind-cap. Drop by or e-mail Five Star Pens re blind cap.

Fred

1- Parker Junior Vacumatic.. standard girth..2-Regular Vac wrench..3-No difference..4-Open it and you'll find out..5-If you don't have all the necessary tools and experience

Let a pro do it..6- yes..it will need a gold plated tassie and black jewel and or a whole short blind-cap. Drop by or e-mail Five Star Pens re blind cap.

Fred

Thank you. :)

Cross refer my Frankenvac post: same model (standard top line lockdown black) same place (Canada) same date (8.) but no jewellers band and much scruffier!

Cross refer my Frankenvac post: same model (standard top line lockdown black) same place (Canada) same date (8.) but no jewellers band and much scruffier!

I went and read your thread, and your pen is remarkably similar except that my friend's pen has the jeweller's band (engraved with someone's initials, :( ) and is missing a jewel on th.e blind cap.

Thats what your blind cap ought to look like (without the brassing!).

It is NOT what the pump ought to look like!😉

Thats what your blind cap ought to look like (without the brassing!).

It is NOT what the pump ought to look like!

Oh. That's a bit different to what I thought. Thank you anyway. :)

Is the band or clip marked 14K?

Difficult tassie to find in any condition and metal.

Jewel not so difficult to find, it was black.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Is the band or clip marked 14K?

Difficult tassie to find in any condition and metal.

Jewel not so difficult to find, it was black.

Not that I can find although they are both in surprisingly good condition for their age. Registration number along the clip band.

So I need the metal tassie plus a black jewel for the blind cap. You don't think I will get them together?

• 2 weeks later...

I found it hard to follow Freddy's response above, and I think he got a couple of things wrong. Here are my responses inline with your questions:

Please can anyone identify the correct model and tell me what size vac tool I would need for the filler? Regular or Maxima?

Should be a Vacumatic Standard model. The two-tone nib was only fitted to the high-line pens. The Junior would have had a monotone nib.

You need the small size Vac tool and the medium size diaphragm. Be sure to cut the diaphragm to the correct length before installation.

Also, does the lockdown filler have to be unlocked and in the out position before I start?

YES! You will destroy the filler if it is not unlocked.

When I flushed it with water it took in a little water and I was able to flush it, but it doesn't fill properly. I only get a few drops of water going into the barrel. The other thing is that it has flushed lot's of ink out but it's now soaking what looks like rusty water into a wad of kitchen towel. Will that mean it might need a new breather tube?

No, the breather tube is plastic or hard rubber. It likely will not need a new one.

This is smart. It takes a good restorer to recognize when they are in over their head. Removing the pellet from the cup will be easier in this one since the pellet cup is metal.

You need a black jewel and a gold tassie (your "surround"). They can be harvested from a parts pen. You need one from either a Lockdown Junior or a Standard. They are the same size.

This is a somewhat special model. The wide gold-filled band pens are definitely collectible.