"best" Chinese Pen With A Gold Nib

truthpil

The Wing Sung 103 is a 1990's production and yes there would be NOS still available , the usual Black and Burgundy / Wine Red. There are the usual 12K gold nib and the steel nib version ( standard FINE ) ..

Shanghai Jingdian on Taobao has these with steel or 10k nibs. For some strange reason they have them with 10k Delike nibs instead of the NOS 12k nibs.

One question about the 103: is the squeeze converter removable or permanently attached?

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Mech-for-i

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

• Hanoi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually its only now that I figure I had not really touch on the current production pen with a gold nib ... might be I can add a bit on that ... basically there is 3 category of current production pen with a gold nib ...

• the high end and collectables ... like the Hero 1911 Revolution or Hero 2189 Amboyna wood ; really today only Hero had a monopoly on this as regard to actually manufacturing such a pen, just like other limited edition from other Mfr these were ornately crafted and usually come with a 14K or 18K gold nib; to a lesser extent the custom workshops also offer such in the form of refurbished with custom barrel / cap / section and the donar pen would usually be a Hero 100 or 200
  • the classics, and well neo classics ( that's my term ) needless to say the Wing Sung 618 / 601 pretty much evoke nostalgia and sell on that; but Hero had been doing that with real deal like the 100 and 200A, and then all the variant thus.
  • The nominal range .. where the majority volume of models are ... the funny thing is this is where most models get ignored by the market both domestic and export but yet these models soldiers on and occasionally see a hype , say the Hero H718 ( WaskiSquirrel recently had a Video on the tube site ) ; just like Platinum having their 3776 Century and Pilot their 74 .. and so on so forth ... Hero again is the one to goto for these pens , but unlike the common one which had a 14K nib. Chinese fountain pen in this category are more likely to had a 10K or12K nib and none the less worse nor better. Actually I like this school of pen a lot, they are decent workhorse usually well build ( much better than many Japanese / European fellow compatriots in most cases ). Hero's 10K nib in particular is a very good smooth nib. Duke, Kaigalu, even Jinhao had something here but generally they are priced a bracket above and beyond the Hero(s) but not exactly better

So if I was asked I would certainly recommend the typical Hero 10K range, loads of different style to choose from, economically priced for a epn with gold nib; but my last vote goes to the H703 / 703A and just as good the H708 shown in photo below, check the photo, especially the cap ring notice how thick it is, yes its build like a tank

fpn_1535043765__h708-10k.jpg

Hero H708, full brass construction lacquered over ; no.5 FM nib in 10K gold ; and you can have it in any color as long as its black and black always ...

Edited by Mech-for-i

Thanks, Mech, for finishing up your review of Chinese gold pens throughout the years!

I agree with you about the H7XX series. The H703 I got based on your recommendation has a nice 10k nib with some spring to it and the expected tactile feedback. The body was just a little too thin for me. I got the shiny gold version and it became the first FP that my wife actually took away from me to use for herself haha. The H708 looks like a beast.

Yeah the H703 is very popular with ladies ; I've gifted it to some associate in thanks for works and they generally like it a lot ; not a fan favorite with the guys though.

Yeah the H703 is very popular with ladies ; I've gifted it to some associate in thanks for works and they generally like it a lot ; not a fan favorite with the guys though.

I like the softness of the H703's nib and it seems to be softer than its larger counterparts like the H708. I just need the pen body to be thicker for more comfort. The H706 seems to have the same nib as the 703 but is a little thicker, so I just may have to give it a try. The matte black and gun metal gray finishes on the 706 look nice as well.

As much as I like gold nibs I do think steel is a better material overall for nib. It lasts longer and writes just as good if not better than gold.

As much as I like gold nibs I do think steel is a better material overall for nib. It lasts longer and writes just as good if not better than gold.

It all depends on how you like the nib (note, not the tipping but the whole nib) to feel. I think it's an issue of the feel, not so much good or better.

I think the original purpose for gold nibs was that they would last longer than steel, especially considering the corrosive inks used back in the day.

The average fountain pen survives in my collection for no more than 2 years before I get bored and sell them. I will probably get bored with pens and sell everything some day who knows. It happens to all my other hobbies. I don´t need a fountain pen to last more than 10 years. Even dirt cheap fountain pens would probably outlive me if I just put them away somewhere. I find that with the more expensive MBs I own, they just feel too heavy in my hands. This is why the lightweight vintage pens appeal to me a lot. They were designed as writing instruments first and foremost.

I find that with the more expensive MBs I own, they just feel too heavy in my hands. This is why the lightweight vintage pens appeal to me a lot. They were designed as writing instruments first and foremost.

I totally agree about the heaviness issue, that's why I have learned to steer clear of a lot of the all-metal Chinese pens as well. Unlike Jinhao, Hero does manage to make some all-metal pens that are well balanced and light. I'm totally blown away by how perfectly balanced and light my new Hero 100 flighter feels in the hand. In the end, I still prefer a vintage pen for its lightness and amazing nib.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Wing Sung 698 with a gold nib and it is the nicest pen for writing that I have. The pen doesn't dry out - despite not being used for weeks at a time - and the nib is wonderfully smooth - much nicer to write with than any other pen I own. The only thing I don't like is that the cap doesn't post - but otherwise it is wonderful!

I have a Wing Sung 698 with a gold nib and it is the nicest pen for writing that I have. The pen doesn't dry out - despite not being used for weeks at a time - and the nib is wonderfully smooth - much nicer to write with than any other pen I own. The only thing I don't like is that the cap doesn't post - but otherwise it is wonderful!

That's good to know. It seems like 50/50 with those nibs. About half the reviews I've read of them say they are scratchy and the other half say they are wonderfully smooth. They are all NOS from the 90s after all and storage conditions may not be consistent. I guess I'll eventually have to take a risk and hope I'm one of the luckier half. :)

That's good to know. It seems like 50/50 with those nibs. About half the reviews I've read of them say they are scratchy and the other half say they are wonderfully smooth. They are all NOS from the 90s after all and storage conditions may not be consistent. I guess I'll eventually have to take a risk and hope I'm one of the luckier half. :)

Well if not you still can work on the nib in order to make it smooth . :)

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Yeah the old Wing Sung 200X series 12K gold nib tend to enjoy both blessing and curse, since its based off an old Luck nib design that dated back to the 20's one usually find the styling and the nib profile not really something enticing and the nib is somewhat thick also compare to like of like, making it less in term of soft and complaint. As usual with nib of that vintage ( and many beyond ) the nib require a run-in of a fill or 2 before the true nature of the nib show through.

if it feel rough, scratchy first or dry etc etc ... my advice is not to do anything about it but take a notepad and start drawing circles ( both direction ) and figure 8 ; the usual case is after half a fill the nib stat to fell different ad after a fill or 2 the nib start to show its character and then one might find that its preferable or if it need further work onto

My personal feeling towards the Wing Sung 200X 12K gold nib is neutral ... and that its only marginally better than the steel.

Yeah the old Wing Sung 200X series 12K gold nib tend to enjoy both blessing and curse, since its based off an old Luck nib design that dated back to the 20's one usually find the styling and the nib profile not really something enticing and the nib is somewhat thick also compare to like of like, making it less in term of soft and complaint. As usual with nib of that vintage ( and many beyond ) the nib require a run-in of a fill or 2 before the true nature of the nib show through.

if it feel rough, scratchy first or dry etc etc ... my advice is not to do anything about it but take a notepad and start drawing circles ( both direction ) and figure 8 ; the usual case is after half a fill the nib stat to fell different ad after a fill or 2 the nib start to show its character and then one might find that its preferable or if it need further work onto

My personal feeling towards the Wing Sung 200X 12K gold nib is neutral ... and that its only marginally better than the steel.

I like that nib the way it is , me for one i really like the nib on the Wing Sung 698 gold nib version . :) By the way, i just bought a Hero 2065 what can you tell me about this pen ? Thanks !!!

Ionut - Marius

Well I guess I got lucky for a change as my Wing Sung 698 with gold nib is absolutely wonderful! A much nicer, silky smooth writer than all the other pens in my collection - which range from TWSBIs to Parkers to Sheaffers. Some have steel nibs, others gold.

Actually, even the older 1990s metal Chinese pens were very user friendly then these Chinese companies went "upmarket" and started making pens with the right appearance and heft. They obviously look and feel more impressive but functionally they are not that great.

I totally agree about the heaviness issue, that's why I have learned to steer clear of a lot of the all-metal Chinese pens as well. Unlike Jinhao, Hero does manage to make some all-metal pens that are well balanced and light. I'm totally blown away by how perfectly balanced and light my new Hero 100 flighter feels in the hand. In the end, I still prefer a vintage pen for its lightness and amazing nib.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose its bound to happen , just as the old 616 spawn the 12K gold nib 110 in old days, the new 616 Plus spawn now the Hero 120 (12K gold nib, C/C filling ) .. and now in Black, Lake Blue or the vintage Rice Bran Grey , mind that there is actually a vintage model that's numbered 120 but this one is all new

fpn_1537389873__hero-120.jpg

I suppose its bound to happen , just as the old 616 spawn the 12K gold nib 110 in old days, the new 616 Plus spawn now the Hero 120 (12K gold nib, C/C filling ) .. and now in Black, Lake Blue or the vintage Rice Bran Grey , mind that there is actually a vintage model that's numbered 120 but this one is all new

fpn_1537389873__hero-120.jpg

And these pens are the new version of Hero 120 or the old one , of a thing i am sure they are not Hero 110.

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius

Ionut - Marius