Chrissy

I have a Parker 45 Flighter with a black tail that has deep bite marks on it. They are too deep to polish out. -_- Already tried that. B)

I wondered about buying a cheap Flighter, hopefully with perfect black tail, but first please can anyone let me know how easy is it to unscrew these black tail end pieces? Are they all the same size and fitting method whether they are English or USA made? Are they glued in as well as being screwed in? If there are differences that I need to know before I start, how can I tell them apart?

Thanks. :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Chrissy

• Runnin_Ute

• OCArt

Chrissy, I seem to remember that they are left-hand threads but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will provide info. I do know that I broke one quite easily when trying to unscrew it :(

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Chrissy, I seem to remember that they are left-hand threads but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will provide info. I do know that I broke one quite easily when trying to unscrew it :(

Thanks for that. :) It's a good enough reason for me to just ignore it and leave it alone. I'm sure I remember unscrewing a steel end tail when I was at school. Mind you that was back in the Stone Age. -_-

Eureka! I found the mention of the left-hand threads and a related discussion. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329705-how-to-unscrew-a-parker-45-flighter/?do=findComment&comment=3952635

edited to provide a P.S. Ugh, and the very next post contradicts that info.

Edited by OCArt

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Perhaps some heat would lessen the tooth marks. Worth a try as there's nothing to lose.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

A better option would be to skip the labor of unscrewing the end cap and, instead, fill the bite marks with super glue and then when the glue dries out polish the end piece. If the bite marks are too deep one may need a second applicatin.

I am currently dealing with a badly chewed up barrel end of a Eversharp skyline.

The before picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IfLUim3N4hNVTpXTz7AHCoqerpw2qI5b/view?usp=drivesdk

Picture after the initial application and polish:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qebRDrmH85CponIp5xSo5BcgMzC3AuVK/view?usp=drivesdk

Hopefully all the marks would be completely gone after a light second application and polish.

The glue should be applied with some thing tiny enough to go inside the bite marks like a tooth pick after taking out a suitable amout of the glue in a smallest possible pot (like a screw cap of a bottle).

Edited to add the last few words in parentheses.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

A better option would be to skip the labor of unscrewing the end cap and, instead, fill the bite marks with super glue and then when the glue dries out polish the end piece. If the bite marks are too deep one may need a second applicatin.

I am currently dealing with a badly chewed up barrel end of a Eversharp skyline.

The before picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IfLUim3N4hNVTpXTz7AHCoqerpw2qI5b/view?usp=drivesdk

Picture after the initial application and polish:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qebRDrmH85CponIp5xSo5BcgMzC3AuVK/view?usp=drivesdk

Hopefully all the marks would be completely gone after a light second application and polish.

The glue should be applied with some thing tiny enough to go inside the bite marks like a tooth pick after taking out a suitable amout of the glue in a smallest possible pot (like a screw cap of a bottle).

Edited to add the last few words in parentheses.

Thank you. This is worth a try. :)

I give the same treatment to squeezed and dented P45 sections and bring them back to like new condition.

Before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jLVJ3-mLtazD_5muoDYXaaFAGco8io2p/view?usp=drivesdk

After.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pEi-z-veyWWWSXLRu7IU-Hd5_eQKP6Mb/view?usp=drivesdk

:)

Wow, thanks for sharing this. :thumbup:

I likewise have a bunch of 45s with the usual warpage. I've never even thought about the possibility that they could be smoothed out like this.

I was recently looking for something similar on ebay recently and one seller had a variety of barrels. Including a Flighter barrel with the black tail as well as several colors. I have a Flighter that is missing the inner barrel and tail. Which is how I ran across it. Not sure if he is still there, but you could look. I think they were about $20. May have even been a UK seller.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I was recently looking for something similar on ebay recently and one seller had a variety of barrels. Including a Flighter barrel with the black tail as well as several colors. I have a Flighter that is missing the inner barrel and tail. Which is how I ran across it. Not sure if he is still there, but you could look. I think they were about $20. May have even been a UK seller.

Is this the one?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parker-45-Coronet-Flighter-Fountain-Pen-Barrel-PART-USA-Ref-12403/332579039545?hash=item4d6f416939:g:HQYAAOSwKGhait7K

Khan M. Ilyas

I've seen those spare barrels, and think they are good value. My black tail is on a used Insignia barrel though. ;)

I once bought a lot of 35 pens from a Antique store that included three 45 insignias. One of these was missing the black barrel end piece. Also, it had a red section. So I custom made a red barrel end piece for the pen to match the section. Most probably the red section was a replacement as the insignia usually came with just black section. But I wanted the pen with the same red section. So went ahead with the red barrel end piece. I used a damaged 45 red plastic barrel end to make the end cape. :)

Here is the pen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XHbdJrcgL96DAYOgmXGtCnUbJMyVwWZu/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I once bought a lot of 35 pens from a Antique store that included three 45 insignias. One of these was missing the black barrel end piece. Also, it had a red section. So I custom made a red barrel end piece for the pen to match the section. Most probably the red section was a replacement as the insignia usually came with just black section. But I wanted the pen with the same red section. So went ahead with the red barrel end piece. I used a damaged 45 red plastic barrel end to make the end cape. :)

Here is the pen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XHbdJrcgL96DAYOgmXGtCnUbJMyVwWZu/view?usp=drivesdk

Very nice. Good work. :)

I happened to buy 2 Insignias that were for sale together. :) One is BN and has never been used. ;) The other one is used. It's been cleaned up, but I can't stand teeth marks.... :(

I have this picture but I am not sure which Parker barrel is shown here:

It looks like an Insignia barrel missing the end tail to me too. :(