Sailor Love: Special Editions, Private Labels, Store Editions, Etc

Preserved_Killick

I am a Pelikan collector. I also have some Montblanc pens and one Sailor Pro Gear II Relo with a fine nib. The Sailor is soon to be joined by a Platinum Century and as of this morning a Sailor Pro Gear Slim Purple Cosmos Music Nib. My Relo is a very nice pen. I think it is as good as a Pelikan or Montblanc, except when you get a fine nib. The German pens' fine is just not that fine.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Preserved_Killick

• Algester

• mongrelnomad

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

I'm not sure how much for the non-LE versions, but from a major US online vendor, some of these can be had for as little as $121USD

41041666565_1e0d85f6a4_b.jpg

I have the Ivory Lamé from this "Seasons" collection. Farmboy was kind enough to help me smooth away some of the feedback, and now it is one of my favorite pens. The small size of the pro gear slim really fits my hand well. And I like that the grip is not narrow.

I only have one LE Pro Gear but I knew I would buy it the minute I saw it come online. #25 of only 88 made and with a nib done up to my specs by Mr. Mottishaw, this will remain one of my favored pens for the duration. Classic Fountain Pens 20th Anniversary model:

45fHGEK.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Many, perhaps most of the shop exclusive Sailor pens are the same price as the regular line pens they are based on. Some of my LE Sailors may also be at or at least near the same price point.

Then there are some that are quite different from just abount anything else made by Sailor. The LE Mitsukoshi/Isetan Denshiro 伝四郎 Kabazaiku 樺細工 special model. Only 20 made, ten each for one one of each of these Department Stores. The only others I have seen like it are the Akita Yaki (pottery) series that are offered at a much higher price point.

I suspect that there are other unique or almost unique models out there.

• 2 weeks later...

This arrived today...

ArLAv.JPG

ArLBT.JPG

ArLCb.JPG

Is that MOP on the top of the cap? :o its stunning! Jealous!

Gobblecup ~

The colour is stunning. Some more details about the pen would not go amiss. For us non-aficionados.

I wish I had known about these pens when the "Black Velvet" edition was out. It is really, really hard to come by, but I don't give up hope of one day finding one...

bb66019ccc40b19f91af886a07c5afcd.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

This arrived today...

Love the detailed finial and even the color, it's a nice change from black and burgundy of the standard Realos.

I wish I had known about these pens when the "Black Velvet" edition was out. It is really, really hard to come by, but I don't give up hope of one day finding one...

That's the series of pens I was talking about in a previous post. The "cocktail" series. One LE pen named after a cocktail comes out every year, and despite the pricetag it's sold out very quickly .

At the end of this post are some other models.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

That's the series of pens I was talking about in a previous post. The "cocktail" series. One LE pen named after a cocktail comes out every year, and despite the pricetag it's sold out very quickly .

At the end of this post are some other models.

Right, thanks. I am aware of those but I find every other member of the cocktail series to be irredeemably fugly.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Right, thanks. I am aware of those but I find every other member of the cocktail series to be irredeemably fugly.

Ops, I misunderstood then!

Well the Mojito model could have been more eye-catching but I actually like many of the cocktail models I've seen around.

Is it because of the sparkles?

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Ops, I misunderstood then!

Well the Mojito model could have been more eye-catching but I actually like many of the cocktail models I've seen around.

Is it because of the sparkles?

Hah, actually I could have done without the sparkles! I'm just not a fan of fluorescent colors, etc. Keep in mind: to each their own. The fact that they always sell out means there are people that like them. I just tend toward more sedate color schemes, that's all. Thanks for the reminder on the LE line.

~ Benjamin Franklin

The colour is stunning. Some more details about the pen would not go amiss. For us non-aficionados.

This is a special edition Sailor Pro Gear Realo, made for Bungbox Japan, to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the Tokyo Metro's Ginza Line. The finial is, I believe, a symbol of the Metro. There's also a G on the bottom of the piston knob -- the symbol for the Ginza Line.

I got this with a zoom nib. As with all Realos, it has a 21k nib. In this case, it's 1-tone gold. It's my firest zoom nib, and it's really interesting to write with. Great line variation based on writing angle. Slight line variation based on pressure as well, though this is less noticeable than on other Sailor nibs since the zoom nib has such a large writing surface as a result of the grind of the tipping material.

This is also my first Realo. The piston-filling system is very easy to use. It fills much more quickly than, say, my Pelikan M805, given that the ink chamber is a fair bit smaller. I hope I don't write it dry too quickly.

This was available to purchase from the Bungbox website. I can't say it was easy and straightforward to make the purchase and have it shipped to the US. But it can be done by clicking a link on the left-hand side of their mainpage which says "International Shipping." From there it was not super quick, but the customer service was good.

You`re not the only one.

I`m not exactly holding my breath ...

This arrived today...

ArLAv.JPG

ArLBT.JPG

ArLCb.JPG

Hey! Pen siblings! I have one of those too. Such a beautiful pen, and the raden top and maki-e bottom, taken with the bright yellow resin shouldnt work, but it absolutely does.

Enjoy!

Too many pens; too little writing.

This is a special edition Sailor Pro Gear Realo, made for Bungbox Japan, to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the Tokyo Metro's Ginza Line. The finial is, I believe, a symbol of the Metro. There's also a G on the bottom of the piston knob -- the symbol for the Ginza Line.

I got this with a zoom nib. As with all Realos, it has a 21k nib. In this case, it's 1-tone gold. It's my firest zoom nib, and it's really interesting to write with. Great line variation based on writing angle. Slight line variation based on pressure as well, though this is less noticeable than on other Sailor nibs since the zoom nib has such a large writing surface as a result of the grind of the tipping material.

This is also my first Realo. The piston-filling system is very easy to use. It fills much more quickly than, say, my Pelikan M805, given that the ink chamber is a fair bit smaller. I hope I don't write it dry too quickly.

This was available to purchase from the Bungbox website. I can't say it was easy and straightforward to make the purchase and have it shipped to the US. But it can be done by clicking a link on the left-hand side of their mainpage which says "International Shipping." From there it was not super quick, but the customer service was good.

Tokyo Metro is a stylized letter M

rWh1Bgl.png

Edited by Algester

Tokyo Metro is a stylized letter M

rWh1Bgl.png

Hmm. Thanks. I wonder what the finial design is all about then.

I mean it looks cool and its no the first sailor pen I knew off with a raden finial night of witch I remember has a raden finial

from bungbox's website its a train lamp but kinda looks like a bike lamp

Edited by Algester

it's meant to represent the headlight of the old 1000 Series train.

Per Bung Box

また、トップ(天冠)には輪島螺鈿蒔絵で、旧1000系のひとつだけの前照灯をイメージさせます。

http://image.news.livedoor.com/newsimage/7/f/7f477_1438_b7bd48dc6e8c6f0694cfcdd3ca810d5a.jpg

Edited by zchen

Question for all you Sailor aficionados: On a full-size Pro Gear, can the cap finial (above the trim ring), and the pen body's finial (below the trim ring), be screwed off? Just wondering if it's possible to do homemade mixing and matching of colors using two or more Pro Gear pens.