Plating Issues On Platinum 3776 Century

Glemnoir

Hi fellow FPN-er, Any one have problem with Platinum 3776 century's gold plating? It started to corrode after 1 to 2 months, I had 3 of them and they all had the same problem. Couldn't find any info as to why it happen. I only clean my pen with soft cloth and plain water.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glemnoir

• Nyea

• eachan

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately this plating deterioration and development of spots is pretty normal on the 3776 IME.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Unfortunately this plating deterioration and development of spots is pretty normal on the 3776 IME.

Gosh, I would expect afew years before deterioration. By this rate, all the plating will be gone within 1 year.

I live by the sea in Mumbai, so I used to blame the weather. My pilots are pristine. Lower end sailors also exhibit some spots.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I live by the sea in Mumbai, so I used to blame the weather. My pilots are pristine. Lower end sailors also exhibit some spots.

Me in Malaysia, my first suspect was the extreme temperature change between my air-conditioned office and my room(20° to 34°c). Then I realise only gold plating are affected, all my chrome plating are still good.Interestingly both my 70's Sheaffer gold filled imperials did not have this issue.

I blame it on modern gold plating. Just wish I can prevent/delay further deterioration.

I have just noticed this today on my bourgogne 3776 after using for 2 months of everyday carry for work.

That's exactly how my Platinum started to deteriorate, from there it will get worse very quickly.

love the pen so much and i have some more 3776 models in different colours that i havent used as much, that thankfully have the trims still intact but from now on i think i shall avoid gold plated trims.

love the pen so much and i have some more 3776 models in different colours that i havent used as much, that thankfully have the trims still intact but from now on i think i shall avoid gold plated trims.

Do you have any rhodium or chrome plated 3776 to compare with? If gold plate is proven to be inferior, I will get my next 3776 in other plating.

I only own one Platinum 3776 Century pen and it has gold trim. In my almost 4-6 months of usage, I have never had this issue and I do regularly clean my pens with soap, water and a micro-fiber cloth. Your best bet is probably to have that plated by a jeweler or send it off to FPnibs.com who I believe offer plating services for a very reasonable cost.

This fact opens up endless possibilities. You could buy a Platinum 3776 Century with gold trim for around 70 USD from J Subculture and then have FPnibs plate the trims in rhodium.

Do you have any rhodium or chrome plated 3776 to compare with? If gold plate is proven to be inferior, I will get my next 3776 in other plating.

no sorry i only have the gold plated models for now, i was thinking about getting the chartres blue next time in rhodium trim due to this

Edited by Nyea

i have also come across this thread on reddit about the plating loss, looks like somthing to look forward to :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/8014yj/did_any_of_your_guys_platinum_3776_gray_out_like/

Wow, that is the future of my bourgogne red. Can you imagine red with a grey clip? Ugly it will be, especially when the cap band is still in gold.

Wow, that is the future of my bourgogne red. Can you imagine red with a grey clip? Ugly it will be, especially when the cap band is still in gold.

yes i am not looking forward to that day, shall look rather ugly but then it is my work pen so i am not as bothered,now i am paranoid about my chartres blue with the gold trims! my next 3776 will definalty be in rhodium trims but that will be a long time from now as i have bought to many pens this year, i should of spent the extra in the first place on the rhodium version...

Edited by Nyea

I only own one Platinum 3776 Century pen and it has gold trim. In my almost 4-6 months of usage, I have never had this issue and I do regularly clean my pens with soap, water and a micro-fiber cloth. Your best bet is probably to have that plated by a jeweler or send it off to FPnibs.com who I believe offer plating services for a very reasonable cost.

This fact opens up endless possibilities. You could buy a Platinum 3776 Century with gold trim for around 70 USD from J Subculture and then have FPnibs plate the trims in rhodium.

Not working for me, I live in Asia, the shipping alone will cost me another 3776 compared to getting it directly from Japan. Thanks for your input tho.

I've had my burgundy 3776 with gold plating for three years. It's in constant use and there have been no issues with the plating.

Regards,

Eachan

I've had my burgundy 3776 with gold plating for three years. It's in constant use and there have been no issues with the plating.

Regards,

Eachan

yes i am not looking forward to that day, shall look rather ugly but then it is my work pen so i am not as bothered,now i am paranoid about my chartres blue with the gold trims! my next 3776 will definalty be in rodium trims but that will be a long time from now as i have bought to many pens this year, i should of spent the extra in the first place on the rodium version...

Ain't we all brought too many pens.

+1 on rhodium trim, at least it won't be so obvious if it happens to deteriorate.:)

Regards,

Eachan