Penbbs Vacuum Filler

sciumbasci

Saw a teaser video of the (new?) PenBBS Vacuum Filler on Instagram.

Anyone knows if it is available already and if it'll ever hit the official Etsy shop?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• penzel_washinkton

• Karmachanic

• Cyber6

Here's a (very) late followup, from beini_zheng's instagram

41466540_253482085308625_449767974341412

@beini_zheng: Model 456 coming this Autumn #penbbs #penbbs456 #pen #fountainpen #fpgeeks #万年筆@

Thanks for that update. I've been looking for a vac filler to take on my plane trips and I love my PenBBS pens. This should be perfect.

These pictures have just been posted on Instagram. The announcement says it’s going to be arriving later in the autumn.

DD750C9F-427A-4F02-A2DE-50A0D0D16101.jpeg17321BB7-F0AF-4FD9-B0DC-21EB3F131534.jpeg8008B053-B8C8-485C-A331-1DF83F33F1D5.jpegF05A079A-67A7-4BEA-91EB-7FA32A8BDFBC.jpeg83A6FA94-6B01-494A-A720-EF23B84441D6.jpeg

(The link is below. Sorry I’m editing this on an iPad and it’s won’t let me make this active.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9V0QGhI4R/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1udniphlmnjsg

Edited by Engelbrecht

Took a breather when I saw it in a smog pattern since I am not interested in that pattern at all, but if a clear demonstrator version is released..... Oh man...

These pictures have just been posted on Instagram. The announcement says it’s going to be arriving later in the autumn.

attachicon.gif DD750C9F-427A-4F02-A2DE-50A0D0D16101.jpegattachicon.gif 17321BB7-F0AF-4FD9-B0DC-21EB3F131534.jpegattachicon.gif 8008B053-B8C8-485C-A331-1DF83F33F1D5.jpegattachicon.gif F05A079A-67A7-4BEA-91EB-7FA32A8BDFBC.jpegattachicon.gif 83A6FA94-6B01-494A-A720-EF23B84441D6.jpeg

(The link is below. Sorry I’m editing this on an iPad and it’s won’t let me make this active.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn9V0QGhI4R/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1udniphlmnjsg

This appears to be an older prototype to the current version. This still has threads for the cap directly in the acrylic, and the clip is the current 308/309 style clip. The current photos have metal threads for the cap, and clip that's sort of shield shaped and flat on the face.

We've seen three colours of the 456, now. The Smog (54SF), Galaxy (52SF) and clear (16SF) have been shown. I don't know if anybody's posted the 16SF, so it's here below, where you can see the new clip style. I think you can expect this in a LOT of colours ... eventually. That's their thing, isn't it?

fpn_1537497582__40888443_684139251967193

Took a breather when I saw it in a smog pattern since I am not interested in that pattern at all, but if a clear demonstrator version is released..... Oh man...

I couldn't stand Smog from pictures I saw of it (or the Moonman Wancai, or other pens using the acrylic). Then I found a 309 Smog on a sale for whatever the Chinese version of Labour day weekend is, for £10.28 shipped, or 60% off the going rate, and I couldn't resist. It's so much cooler in person (when filled with ink) than photos can do justice for. I think it'd look great in the full fill of a vacuum filler.

But then I see the faces of people seeing me write with it, and I remember it's really just not for everyone.

I really hope that I can hold off purchasing a 456 until the Amber is a Cat colour (53SF) comes out (if it ever does), but I'd be nearly as happy with any of the colours they've shown so far.

Edited by JollyCynic

No question, I bet it would look better in person but again referring to your comment, personally I would not want to bring that pen anywhere except around the house haha

I couldn't stand Smog from pictures I saw of it (or the Moonman Wancai, or other pens using the acrylic). Then I found a 309 Smog on a sale for whatever the Chinese version of Labour day weekend is, for £10.28 shipped, or 60% off the going rate, and I couldn't resist. It's so much cooler in person (when filled with ink) than photos can do justice for. I think it'd look great in the full fill of a vacuum filler.

But then I see the faces of people seeing me write with it, and I remember it's really just not for everyone.

I really hope that I can hold off purchasing a 456 until the Amber is a Cat colour (53SF) comes out (if it ever does), but I'd be nearly as happy with any of the colours they've shown so far.

LOL ... I suppose this is locale and also business specific, in my line of work, neither the client nor colleagues care a bit about if your pens look business like, actually seeing that some of my customers typically carry Hello Kitty / Disney themed stationary, I think my PenBBS look remarkably business straight ..

Hi there, I took and posted those PenBBS 268 photos (one, two, three), and will post another one soon. This is indeed an earlier prototype.
My understanding is there were some disagreements between the PenBBS team and their manufacturer at the time, Lingmo (two tweets suggest that), and that this is partially why the plunger filler is delayed, and possibly also why the model number changed. Don't know more than that.

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

Promising signs in it being released to the market soon.

I reckon the price would break the $50 barrier, CMIIW but PenBBS has never released a pen above that price point.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if fudefan will be back any time soon, as he's just left the one message here, but his Instagram today shows a few more images of the PenBBS 456 in Smog. Even better, he's got some side-by-side photos of the 456 and the earlier 268 prototype, so we can take a look at some of the changes.

In addition to the metal threads at the cap which have been noted, there's also a change to the end-cap. It'll be interesting to see that in more detail, such as whether it has metal-on-acrylic threads. There's a video of (I assume) Beini disassembling the 268 prototype with a TWSBI-like tool, and I'm pretty nervous about cracking there.

Yes please. Clear please. I won't be taking it apart, just replaceing the nib with a CI.

Add lightness and simplicate.

In addition to the metal threads at the cap which have been noted, there's also a change to the end-cap. It'll be interesting to see that in more detail, such as whether it has metal-on-acrylic threads. There's a video of (I assume) Beini disassembling the 268 prototype with a TWSBI-like tool, and I'm pretty nervous about cracking there.

That slip at around 28 second mark gave me a mini heart attack and most likely gave Beini one too

Yes please. Clear please. I won't be taking it apart, just replaceing the nib with a CI.

Looks like your prayers have been heard!

42934494_237196173818917_679679793830990

It looks like this one seals a chamber not against the nib/feed like a TWSBI does. This is a nicer design in my mind.

Any idea of the nibs will be a standard #5/#6 size?

It looks like this one seals a chamber not against the nib/feed like a TWSBI does. This is a nicer design in my mind.

Any idea of the nibs will be a standard #5/#6 size?

It'll be a No.6 in F. People have good success swapping them with JOWO nibs. I've swapped one with a cheap Jinhao, which took a while to set, but is now fine.

Edited by JollyCynic

I don't know if fudefan will be back any time soon, as he's just left the one message here, but his Instagram today shows a few more images of the PenBBS 456 in Smog. Even better, he's got some side-by-side photos of the 456 and the earlier 268 prototype, so we can take a look at some of the changes.

I'm still here :) Are these photos what you want? If not, happy to upload others. Haven't had much time to play with the 456 yet, but the actual plunger mechanism looks quite similar to the one in 268.

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)