Talk Me Out Of An Edison For A Workhorse

ww2golfer

I know people love their Colliers (and other Edisons), and I have never tried one. I might love them too.

But let me also say, from my point of view, that list price $169 is a lot of money to pay for a steel nibbed, unpostable pen intended as an EDC.

Edison pens are beautiful, and folks rave...except for those who wouldn't spend that kind of money on a pen with limited versatility. It's size means that it is probably not a great pocket pen, either. If you're male, and you ever keep pens in a shirt pocket (is that sexist to assume?), then I would recommend something with a smaller profile and that is postable. I know you stated that you keep pens in a satchel, but still.... Maybe I am biased by the fact that I have to carry my EDC pens in my shirt pocket at work or I just won't use them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ww2golfer

• sharonspens

• displacermoose

• katerchen

I have a Collier in persimmon swirl. The pen is simply stunning in presentation and I have the 1.1mm stub. My problem is that that the contour of the grip is quite small and demands that you hold the pen at a very set distance which is closer to the nib than I prefer. I also do not like that you need to turn the cap so many times to open the pen. This is very disheartening for me because the pen is simply so beautiful and is hand crafted near Sandusky, Ohio, on the edge of one of my favorite golf courses to go to with my brother. I will be selling mine very soon... As soon as I get a portable light box in the mail. Let me know if you’re interested in mine!

The Beaumont has a design that has 2 main inspirations. 1920s flat tops (I think celluloid ones?), and the Sheaffer No Nonsense. A vintage flat top costs. A vintage No Nonsense runs about $10-20 depending on nib. M and various italics are the most common. Most of the ones I’ve seen on EBay are clearly from the old Sheaffer calligraphy sets, and they very often have the less useful nib sizes.

I’m not sure if this particular Edison posts, but the No Nonsense does and it writes very well for a cheap steel nib. To my mind, the main advantage of a Beaumont over the vintage option is you can get finer nibs, and you can get it to fill with standard international cartridges. Is that worth $150 to you?

I haven’t checked the dimensions closely, but the weights are similar. The clip is difficult for me to tell apart. There’s probably a tell, but I haven’t found it yet. So it’s basically a toss up between wanting a vintage looking pen vs an actual vintage pen. I think for myself I’d probably go with the devil I know, since I used my no Nonsense pens a lot when I had them and they were dependable. Irritating sometimes but dependable.

(None of the other Edison designs really speak to me) (also this isn’t a general endorsement of vintage Sheaffer design, I’ve never used any of the others)

Since starting this I really took note of the extended Mina. They have a few ebonite ones in the current inventory that I think I am going to have to email Brian about.

Good choice :D

This is the one I was referring to that has the shortened twist. They have a tendency to roll on the table though, be aware of that.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/358kY6ipCDkCvQpm1

I have a Beaumont and it's beautiful but very delicate looking.

The cap rim is paper thin so it looks like it will crack easily

The section-to- barrel threads are looser than any pen I have ever owned and I feel like they will strip at any time.

The Singularity is almost identical in shape & size and I really liked it also.

As far as the nib goes...Who cares...It's a #6 so practically anything will fit.

I pulled the el'cheapo nib & crappy plastic feed as soon as I unboxed it.

It's a lot of money for a cc fill steel nib pen. You get a lot more pen with Japanese pens. Then go get a Ranga, not only do they turn their own pens, they make their own ebonite as well.

No, just no -- don't do it. Proper dress shirts do not have pockets. Keep your pen in your jacket pocket or briefcase.

First buy shirts with pockets and make it a habit of sticking it into the shirt pocket after every use....or your pen will walk. A thousand sad stories here about that or Jack Hammer folk grabbing a fountain pen and handing you back your super flexed nail fountain pen.

If you are a slave of fashion, use a free advertising ball point.

@ 1895, the pedal washing machine....something where the woman could actually have an hour to read came in. With it came daily changing of underwear for the middle class, celluloid and cuffs became passe. Shirts could be washed on other days than Monday.

The Oxford shoe became the Rage, in the well to do bike folks forced the paving of streets. Removable clips on Fountain pens was also the Rage.....so shirt pockets were invented to carry them in.

I bought an Edison, one of the cigar-shaped models that look like a Sheaffer Balance with exotic colors. It didn't post. I sent it to Brian Gray, who, free of charge, bored out a tiny bit here, trimmed some there, and returned it. Perfect fit and perfect balance.

If you like an Edison model that does not post, ask Brian what he can do.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

It's a lot of money for a cc fill steel nib pen. You get a lot more pen with Japanese pens. Then go get a Ranga, not only do they turn their own pens, they make their own ebonite as well.

+1

I think the decision largely comes down to whether the looks or the nib are most important to you. I'm a nib chaser, so ultimately the premium for the acrylic wasn't worth it; the business end (the nib) is a bog standard Jowo. They are good nibs, but they are interchangeable with hundreds of pens. If you buy a nib from Goulet or Anderson or Scriptorium or Franklin-Christoph or Edison you are getting exactly the same nib.

I have a Ranga 4C from Peyton Street to meet my JoWo nib holder workhorse needs, and I love it to pieces. I ordered a custom ground architect nib with it and still paid substantially less than I would have for an Edison or an FC Intrinsic (which were the other options I was considering).

Japanese pens have much more understated looks, but their nibs have character. There is no mistaking the differences between a Sailor, a Platinum, and a Pilot. You can get really nice pens from any of the big three Japanese brands for less than what you pay for an Edison.

Yet another Sarah.

I have a Ranga 4C from Peyton Street to meet my JoWo nib holder workhorse needs, and I love it to pieces. I ordered a custom ground architect nib with it and still paid substantially less than I would have for an Edison or an FC Intrinsic (which were the other options I was considering)....

I keep trying to resist the urge to try a Ranga. Thanks for nothing. :)

I keep trying to resist the urge to try a Ranga. Thanks for nothing. :)

You're welcome! 😁

Yet another Sarah.

I have two Edison's -- an ebonite Pearl (I think it's a one-of-a-kind) and a Collier. Both are GREAT pens. Comfortable to use, reliable writers, great materials. The Pearl kinda sorta posts. Probably shouldn't. But in any case, whenever I use either of these pens, I find myself saying, "Why don't I use these pens more?"