Talk Me Out Of An Edison For A Workhorse

ww2golfer

Looking for my first non entry level pen with the intent to not leave my side. I work in an office with general note taking. I carry a satchel so size isn't a big issue. Then at night I do a page or so of journaling each night. I also see C/C as a benefit since I love changing colors. No B&M near by so having to wing it a little without trying. I am leaning very heavily on an Edison Collier or Premier in EF and spare 1.1 stub. Anything I should be worried about or is there something noticably better out there for the same $200 or so?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ww2golfer

• sharonspens

• TSherbs

• katerchen

The Collier doesn't post, which is why I eventually sold mine. Its not that I cannot have a non posting pen but for some reason I couldn't get over it not posting.

I have a Collier. Uncial is right, it doesn’t post but that isn’t an issue for me.

I held off for years on buying an Edison but I finally took the plunge 6 months ago. Mine has the 1.1mm steel stub and I have been using the living daylights out of it at work nearly every single day since with no issues at all.

It writes like a dream.

Are we talking you out of this, or into it?

I own a Collier (which, in fact, I bought from someone else), two extended length Pearls, and a extended length Mina. None of them post, which is a bit annoying for me, too, but hasn't stopped me from carrying each fo them for long periods. My Collier happens to be ivory celluloid, so I don't really carry it around much to avoid staining. The Mina is currently in rotation, and each of my Edisons is a lovely writer. If you like that style of pen, I think you will be quite happy with your choice.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Are we talking you out of this, or into it?

I own a Collier (which, in fact, I bought from someone else), two extended length Pearls, and a extended length Mina. None of them post, which is a bit annoying for me, too, but hasn't stopped me from carrying each fo them for long periods. My Collier happens to be ivory celluloid, so I don't really carry it around much to avoid staining. The Mina is currently in rotation, and each of my Edisons is a lovely writer. If you like that style of pen, I think you will be quite happy with your choice.

Sharon in Indiana

The answer is yes haha. I have all but decided on one or the other, but can't find a ton of commentary or feedback about Edison. Wanting to make sure there isn't a huge reason not to get one that I am missing. The fact the Collier doesnt post is a little frustrating but not sure it'll be too big of a deal for me. The flexibility of the nib system and the color style just jives with me.

Are you having it custom made or off the shelf inventory?

Since it's a note taking pen, twisting the cap off might be an issue. I prefer snap caps (Lamy 2000 in my case) at work.

But, if you are having it custom made, you can ask Brian to cut the threads such that it uncaps in 3/4 of a turn (I have my first Mina like that). That's basically no more hand movement than pulling the cap off, since you need both hands anyway.

-k

Are you having it custom made or off the shelf inventory?

Since it's a note taking pen, twisting the cap off might be an issue. I prefer snap caps (Lamy 2000 in my case) at work.

But, if you are having it custom made, you can ask Brian to cut the threads such that it uncaps in 3/4 of a turn (I have my first Mina like that). That's basically no more hand movement than pulling the cap off, since you need both hands anyway.

-k

Good point. Never thought about a customization like that. Was planning on just ordering from Goulet. I like the look of the Lamy right up till the nib. I am a sucker for big visible nibs. I want the biggest I can find.

I used an Edison Collier this way for a while. It's a nice pen and the nib is decent. The only trouble I had with it was that it didn't handle Noodler's Black, my daily writing ink back then. It was viscous and would trap air bubbles above the feed in the narrow converter. I had the same trouble with my Pilot Custom 823.

The main reasons I quit using the Collier (besides the ink) were that it was too flashy for a workhorse and it just wasn't comfortable for long writing sessions. The design is good for a page or two, but that's about it.

I eventually traded it for something else and I've been using a Lamy 2000 for several years as my workhorse. I'm still very happy with that switch.

Edison is a quality product, and your mileage may vary as to comfort: that's a personal thing. Brian Gray himself talked me out of buying a custom Edison. I think he knew it wasn't for me. That speaks volumes about his character, so I want to push business his way, especially since he probably won't get mine.

I've never used the Premier, but I did like the Beaumont better than the Collier as far as daily writing. It might be a model to consider, especially in one of the more understated finishes.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Hi all,

You can never... well,... almost never... go wrong with an L2K... it's been my workhouse for almost two years.

I like it so much, I bought another... so now I have a two-horse team. ;)

Be well all... and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

With Edison, you get top work, top materials, top customer service (at least with Signature pens; I don't know about the other line). I cannot thing of anything bad to say about the pens.

The only downside I can see is the use of generic JoWo (or is it Bock?) nibs - but some others will see it as a positive aspect.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

First buy shirts with pockets and make it a habit of sticking it into the shirt pocket after every use....or your pen will walk. A thousand sad stories here about that or Jack Hammer folk grabbing a fountain pen and handing you back your super flexed nail fountain pen.

If you are a slave of fashion, use a free advertising ball point.

@ 1895, the pedal washing machine....something where the woman could actually have an hour to read came in. With it came daily changing of underwear for the middle class, celluloid and cuffs became passe. Shirts could be washed on other days than Monday.

The Oxford shoe became the Rage, in the well to do bike folks forced the paving of streets. Removable clips on Fountain pens was also the Rage.....so shirt pockets were invented to carry them in.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Several years ago I bought an Edison Hudson. Yes, I know, not the exact model you're talking about, but bear with me. This model is no longer made in any case, but I'd say that it was typical of an off the shelf Edison pen. Steel nib, although I got the standard medium, not the stub.

Very pretty and well made. I somehow hadn't realized that it was quite so large, a bit larger than I'd consider ideal. The cap did post, but that made it larger yet. The writing quality was where I was disappointed. There was nothing for which I could send it back, it was okay. It was just that it felt about like writing with my TWSBI ROC 100, a much cheaper pen. Or like my Pelikan M205, a somewhat cheaper pen that was also a more comfortable size for me. After a few more years, I'd spent roughly the same amount or a bit less on a couple of mid range Pilot models, like my favorite Custom Heritage 92, which were a bit less pretty, but noticeably nicer to write with (in my subjective opinion).

The only point isn't that you shouldn't buy an Edison. If nothing else, that would be really unfair when I've only tried one. It's that if you're looking for a practical workhorse pen, then think about what you expect to get for the extra money you spend on a premium brand. If you expect that you're going to get a pen that you like better by spending more money, well, sometimes you're right, but don't count on it.

Personally, if you like C/C pens, I'd also be considering the Pilot Custom 74 and Custom Heritage 91, and maybe a Platinum 3776 Century. But there are lots of good choices.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Edison pens are terrific. They offer a huge array of colors and materials, customizations (at extra cost) if you so choose, and easily swappable nibs. Brian and Andrea are great people, their cutomer service is top notch, and if you have any problem at all Brian will make things right.

Other choices might include Sailor 1911 or Platinum 3776, which offer less variety and more plain materials but gold nibs in the price range you are talking.

You might also consider Bexley - another US made pen with models usually based on historic styles.

Edited by whichwatch

Nothing to say in terms of the title of the op. Edison is too notch and stands behind it. It's also neat having a pen not mass produced but hand made.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I have three Edison pens; a Collier, extended Mina, and the Glenmont Stealth LE (which is in my pocket right now). All are great pens; they are reliable, don't dry out, no flow problems with the inks I use, which are typically not heavily saturated, well behaved inks. The workmanship is top quality and there is nothing at all wrong with the standard steel nibs, at least in my opinion. I would not hesitate to recommend an Edison for the work you describe.

Good luck with your choice!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I have three Edison pens; a Collier, extended Mina, and the Glenmont Stealth LE (which is in my pocket right now). All are great pens; they are reliable, don't dry out, no flow problems with the inks I use, which are typically not heavily saturated, well behaved inks. The workmanship is top quality and there is nothing at all wrong with the standard steel nibs, at least in my opinion. I would not hesitate to recommend an Edison for the work you describe.

Good luck with your choice!

Since starting this I really took note of the extended Mina. They have a few ebonite ones in the current inventory that I think I am going to have to email Brian about. Edited by ww2golfer

My advice is to buy the ebonite extended Mina or order a custom ebonite Edison if there is another ebonite material you like better than the Mina in inventory.

I love my ebonite Edison Morgan, but I just really like the look and feel of ebonite. I have a standard Mina in Spectrum Swirl Acrylic that is very nicely made and is a good size for my hands (I'm a 5'4", 122 pound woman), but I use the Morgan much more because of the ebonite. I like Jowo nib units because they give me a lot of flexibility in nib sizes including using Franklin-Christoph Masuyama cursive italic nibs in my Edisons and Newton Vapor. Cleaning a C/C pen is very easy with a bulb and you can let someone who hasn't used a fountain pen try your pen and only risk the price of a nib unit if they have a very heavy hand and somehow damage your nib.

As others have noted, I also have a Pilot 74, 912 and 92. Each has been a workhorse pen, and once inked I have a very hard time NOT keeping them inked and in rotation for long periods of time. I also have the Platinum 3776 in a demonstrator, and most recently a Sailor 191 L in tangerine. [Yes, i have a lot of pens; don't judge me]. They are all wonderful writers, too, but only the tangerine Sailor compares to the Edisons in flashiness.

If you get a Mina, get a roll stop on the cap, BTW; that pen does not have a clip and it can tend to roll.

Sharon in Indiana

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

For a work horse try Pilot Kakuno ( <$15). Snap cap, comfortable to hold, keeps up with very fast writing.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Sorry, no can do. I can't talk you out of an Edison as a workhorse; I have multiple Colliers. I don't post, and with a chunky pen like this I don't think you'll need to (though preference enters into it). The nibs are great, the pen is light enough to be comfortable despite its bulk, the available material options range from discreet but interesting (antique marble) to full-on extroversion (persimmon swirl).

Plus, the nibs are great. I've never had an Edison that didn't work out of the box, and Brian Gray stands by his product as a couple of posters have already mentioned. Even so, I was pleasantly surprised when I got a nib tweaked by Mike Masuyama - it's a great investment.

Oh yes, the italics? They're great - not calligraphy-crisp but really good cursives that you can write with all day. No sharp edges, no limited sweet spots, just really good cursive italic. I can really recommend that stub nib.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/