Permanent Inks That Flow Well In A Pilot Custom (Heritage) 74/91/92?

thespyingdutchman

Hello!

I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this. If it's not, I apologise. I'm very new to FPN. Still figuring things out I suppose!

Anyways, I want to get myself a Pilot CH91 or 92 for my birthday this month. I'm not actually looking to buy a 74, but I thought I'd put it in the title as well since it's a more popular pen than the 91 and 92, and it uses the same nib section.

Like the title says: I'm looking for a permanent ink that flows well in any of the aforementioned pens. I currently don't have any inks that are even remotely waterproof (mostly Waterman and Pelikan 4001s). I'd like to have some permanent inks for daily carry.

I'm currently looking at buying Noodler's Black, KWZ Iron Gall Mandarin and KWZ Iron Gall Turquoise. I'll probably put the Iron Galls in my Parker 45 mostly, and the Noodler's was the permanent ink I was thinking I'd get for the 92. However, I've heard people have had some flow issues with this ink. If anyone has tried the KWZ IGs in their Pilots, I'd also be interested in knowing your experiences.

I'll definitely get a bottle of Pilot Blue Black as well, but it's not really permanent.

Do you have any suggestions for a permanent ink that will flow well in a Pilot 74/91/92? Preferably a blue black or a black. Also, do you have any experience with KWZ IG and Noodler's Black in a Pilot? Would you say they are a good match?

I'd be so grateful if you guys can help me find the right ink. I have no experience with either Pilot pens or permanent inks, and as you know there are so many inks to choose from. I just have no idea what to pick! Initially I just wanted to go with Noodler's, because it's both permanent and I think a wet ink, which I thought would go well with the drier Pilot.

Edited by thespyingdutchman

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thespyingdutchman

• katerchen

• TMLee

• max dog

you may want to ask the moderator to move your post to the Ink Review sub-forum?

definitely you will get expert answers there :D

howzabout

PLATINUM CLASSIC INK SERIES (IRON GALL)

and

KWZ INks (their iron gall range)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/319999-three-ig-inks/?do=findComment&comment=3805248

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Montblanc Permanent Blue works very well in my Pilot Falcon and Custom 912 FA.

Option 1, Pilot:

Pilot Blue/Black and Pilot Black. Neither are marketed as permanent inks per se, but they most definitely are. I've done several soak tests with both.

Option 2, Sailor:

Kiwa Guro (Black), Sei Boku (Blue Black). They are pigment inks and also waterproof.

I would advise to stay away from Iron Gall inks.

-k

Personally I use Sailor Sei Boku daily in my Custom Heritage 91. It's been inked up continuously with that since sometime in late 2016, flushed once a month or so. Haven't had any problems. Just make sure it never dries out inside the pen. IIRC somebody here on FPN did a Sei Boku dryout test before, with the finding that some stubborn stains were left, but could be cleaned up nicely provided an ultrasonic cleaner was used. The Custom/Custom Heritage series pens tend to have a good snug inner cap seal, so it would take a few months of neglect to actually dry out one of them.

Sometimes Sei Boku can leave a light blue stain on converters, so I don't use it in transparent demonstrator pens (e.g. TWSBI, Pilot Custom Heritage 92 demonstrator).

I'd say the main drawback of Sei Boku if used as a daily workhorse ink is its cost - it's rather more expensive than most other workhorse blue-blacks, although less expensive than many other Sailor inks post-price-hike.

Pilot Blue-Black is also a good choice and is more affordable, especially if you order it in that giant 350ml bottle (not a typo!). However, Pilot Blue-Black is water resistant rather than fully waterproof like Sei Boku - some ink will wash off, but what remains will still be clearly readable. I wouldn't hesitate to use Pilot Blue-Black to address mail envelopes, for instance. As far as blue-blacks go it's lighter than most, sometimes it gets called "Pilot Dark Blue" in jest. :) Pilot Blue-Black is a normal dye-based ink and does not belong to any of the "special" permanent ink categories, so it is a nice and mild option.

Both of the above flowed really well in my CH91, both somewhat but not extremely wet, the Pilot Blue Black was somewhat wetter but thinner/a bit less lubricated, the Sei Boku less wet than the Pilot but having a thicker, more lubricated, velvety feeling when writing.

Footnote re: iron gall, I normally don't use IG in my Custom Heritage 91, partly because I am unsure whether that metal agitator wire-thing in the middle of the CON-70 converter will withstand long-term immersion in IG ink or not. But mainly because the Sei Boku + Custom Heritage 91 combination has stolen my heart and I am reluctant to change out such a nice combination now. And Sei Boku is more permanent that most IG inks. (Sei Boku on paper strongly resists bleach, acetone, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and... well, I ran out of solvents I could safely test at home, but you get the idea. IG on the other hand can be mostly removed from paper with bleach, leaving a light rust-colored stain behind.)

Edited by KLscribbler

Montblanc Permanent Blue works very well in my Pilot Falcon and Custom 912 FA.

Thanks! I'll check that one out.

Option 1, Pilot:

Pilot Blue/Black and Pilot Black. Neither are marketed as permanent inks per se, but they most definitely are. I've done several soak tests with both.

Option 2, Sailor:

Kiwa Guro (Black), Sei Boku (Blue Black). They are pigment inks and also waterproof.

I would advise to stay away from Iron Gall inks.

-k

Oh that's great. I thought they were just water resistant. I'll probably just get the Pilot inks then!

Thank you

Personally I use Sailor Sei Boku daily in my Custom Heritage 91. It's been inked up continuously with that since sometime in late 2016, flushed once a month or so. Haven't had any problems. Just make sure it never dries out inside the pen. IIRC somebody here on FPN did a Sei Boku dryout test before, with the finding that some stubborn stains were left, but could be cleaned up nicely provided an ultrasonic cleaner was used. The Custom/Custom Heritage series pens tend to have a good snug inner cap seal, so it would take a few months of neglect to actually dry out one of them.

Sometimes Sei Boku can leave a light blue stain on converters, so I don't use it in transparent demonstrator pens (e.g. TWSBI, Pilot Custom Heritage 92 demonstrator).

I'd say the main drawback of Sei Boku if used as a daily workhorse ink is its cost - it's rather more expensive than most other workhorse blue-blacks, although less expensive than many other Sailor inks post-price-hike.

Pilot Blue-Black is also a good choice and is more affordable, especially if you order it in that giant 350ml bottle (not a typo!). However, Pilot Blue-Black is water resistant rather than fully waterproof like Sei Boku - some ink will wash off, but what remains will still be clearly readable. I wouldn't hesitate to use Pilot Blue-Black to address mail envelopes, for instance. As far as blue-blacks go it's lighter than most, sometimes it gets called "Pilot Dark Blue" in jest. :) Pilot Blue-Black is a normal dye-based ink and does not belong to any of the "special" permanent ink categories, so it is a nice and mild option.

Both of the above flowed really well in my CH91, both somewhat but not extremely wet, the Pilot Blue Black was somewhat wetter but thinner/a bit less lubricated, the Sei Boku less wet than the Pilot but having a thicker, more lubricated, velvety feeling when writing.

Footnote re: iron gall, I normally don't use IG in my Custom Heritage 91, partly because I am unsure whether that metal agitator wire-thing in the middle of the CON-70 converter will withstand long-term immersion in IG ink or not. But mainly because the Sei Boku + Custom Heritage 91 combination has stolen my heart and I am reluctant to change out such a nice combination now. And Sei Boku is more permanent that most IG inks. (Sei Boku on paper strongly resists bleach, acetone, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and... well, I ran out of solvents I could safely test at home, but you get the idea. IG on the other hand can be mostly removed from paper with bleach, leaving a light rust-colored stain behind.)

Thank you so much! I think I'll probably stay away from IG for this particular pen and just stick with one of the other permanent inks.

if you want something standard (no soft nibs) then I would also go for the pigmented inks

Probably will! I think I will stay away from the Iron Gall inks for this pen. Thanks.

Another vote for Sei-boku or Pilot Blue Black. Both perform flawlessly on all sorts of paper with all sorts of pens. The Pilot ink is, IMO, a rather boring color, but it is cheap and plenty water resistant. The Sailor is a great color with lots of character and is waterproof, but you pay more for it. I use both almost daily.

Yet another Sarah.