Conid(Bock) Titanium Nibs

markshan

I'm thinking of getting a Conid Kingsize but I've never used a titanium nib before. How does it compare to the Visconti Palladium nibs? Do the tines scissor as described here (

)? Is it possible to have it tuned to be a completely smooth nib? I believe Pen Habit and sbrebrown both commented on the feedback of the nib and I'm unsure if it's just the tuning of the nib, or if it's something to do with the material and tipping.

Worst case, I'll get the rhodium gold nibs .-.

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markshan

• Karmachanic

• mauckcg

• Kodiac136

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bock #8 titanium nibs are not particularly springy (unlike their #6 titanium nibs) and come with a characteristic feedback. Mine feels almost Sailor-like. I enjoy mine a lot but I understand why many people opt for the gold nib on their Kingsize. One day I may well get a gold nib for mine as well, but for now, I am enjoying the titanium.

As for how they compare to Visconti palladium nibs... they are more reliable, have more feedback, and have much less spring to them. I will say that mine came a bit dry for what I like, but it still wrote just fine. I tuned mine up, but I haven't smoothed it at all.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I plan to get the nib ground by a nibmeister. Have you ran into the scissoring issue with the tines at all? That and being able to get rid of the feedback are my only concerns for the titanium nib

I plan to get the nib ground by a nibmeister. Have you ran into the scissoring issue with the tines at all? That and being able to get rid of the feedback are my only concerns for the titanium nib

Their in house nibmeister is very very good. I have two titanium nibs tuned by Johan and they are two of my best writers.

Their in house nibmeister is very very good. I have two titanium nibs tuned by Johan and they are two of my best writers.

Have you encountered the tine scissoring issue from use? How would you describe the writing experience

Have you encountered the tine scissoring issue from use? How would you describe the writing experience

I have no idea what scissoring means.

The Fine is excellently smooth and the XFine has a little bit of feedback.

''Scissoring", if I understand you correctly, arises from applying too much pressure when trying to make the nib flex, causing the tines to mis-align. The Bock Ti is not marketed as a flex nib. Or even a semi-flex nib. It is a soft nib. Yes one can flex the nib. Gently. Might be best to pay attention to what the nib is telling you, and act accordingly. Feed back is in the nature of the titanium nib. This is my understanding, which may be incorrect.

I do not have the good fortune to own a Conid, but I do have a Bock Ti.

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.

''Scissoring", if I understand you correctly, arises from applying too much pressure when trying to make the nib flex, causing the tines to mis-align. The Bock Ti is not marketed as a flex nib. Or even a semi-flex nib. It is a soft nib. Yes one can flex the nib. Gently. Might be best to pay attention to what the nib is telling you, and act accordingly. Feed back is in the nature of the titanium nib. This is my understanding, which may be incorrect.

I do not have the good fortune to own a Conid, but I do have a Bock Ti.

If this is indeed what is meant by scissoring, no, no I haven't had any such occurence. But then, I don't flex my #8 titanium nib. As I said, it is not flexible. It is not even soft, I would say. The #6 and the #8 Bock titanium nibs are different creatures. The #6 is quite soft (not flexible) but the #8 is very stiff.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Hmmm, I don't find my #6 Ti nib soft/flexible. While it's not a nail (which I might prefer), it's definitely not even semi-firm.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

That link shows that the Ti maybe just a bit flexier than the Bock steel nib...which isn't very flexy to me. Softness/flexiness is subjective.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Is the titanium feedback removeable, by a nibmeister? Or is it some inherent property of the tipping they use?

It's because Titanium :) Find an old fashioned wooden pencil. HB maybe. Write for a while; couple of pages. Similar tactility. You could even come to like it. I do. So much so that I'll probably get another at some point. YMMV.

Having a Ti nib and not wanting feedback is kinda like living in Toronto and wanting to go to Muskoka, but not wanting to drive north. Just my view. Having said that, there my very well be a nib magician who can make it glass like.

Good luck!

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have 4 of the titanium nibs installed right now. I find that they are slight springy and they do come with a bit of feedback, which I like. They are my favorite nibs!

I just got my first Kingsize and my first Ti nibs. I bought an EF, a M ground to stub, and a B ground to stub. I'm reserving judgment on the stubs right now: these are my first stubs, and I need to get the hang of stubs before judging the nibs.

As for my EF, it's remarkably wet with Akkerman #8 Diepduinwaterblauw. I suspect that the Ti material has a lot to do with it. It has line variation and is easy to widen the line with a bit of pressure. I don't try to flex it, just pressure of normal writing. It has a very nice line, and starts off just right each time. It might dry out if not writing and uncapped a little bit faster than some other pens, but it restarts pretty quickly.

I agree with the feedback comments above. It's not writing on glass smooth. It's closer to a pencil, as kd3 mentioned. It's not objectionable. FWIW, all the EF nibs I've tried have some amount of feedback, simply because the nibs have so much less on paper.

I am a little amused at the amount of nib creep with this pen and ink. The titanium matte finish is probably the cause of this. I do not find this objectionable.

post-140873-0-72789500-1523157394_thumb.jpg

I loved my Ti nib on my kingsize bulkfiller.. until I damaged it. I've been getting used to a gold replacement.. but it's been a work in progress. The gold one is much more flexible and my heavy hand does not do it justice.

It's because Titanium :) Find an old fashioned wooden pencil. HB maybe. Write for a while; couple of pages. Similar tactility. You could even come to like it. I do. So much so that I'll probably get another at some point. YMMV.

Having a Ti nib and not wanting feedback is kinda like living in Toronto and wanting to go to Muskoka, but not wanting to drive north. Just my view. Having said that, there my very well be a nib magician who can make it glass like.

Good luck!

Hi,

I bought a Conid Kingsize with Ti nib and requested that all feedback be removed, if not entirely then as much as possible. The nib I got was very good, with no feedback that I could feel.

Though I don't have the pen or nib anymore (as I sold it), it was a nice experience, using something other than a gold nib.

Hi,

I bought a Conid Kingsize with Ti nib and requested that all feedback be removed, if not entirely then as much as possible. The nib I got was very good, with no feedback that I could feel.

Though I don't have the pen or nib anymore (as I sold it), it was a nice experience, using something other than a gold nib.

I plan to get custom grinds on the nibs, be it titanium or gold, so being able to get rid of feedback is good to hear. What nib size was it?