Hello From (Sort Of Close To) Rotterdam, The Netherlands!

thespyingdutchman

Hello!

This is technically my second topic, but I only just found out about this introduction forum. I've been pretty active on reddit.com/r/fountainpens (my username is the same as on here) these past couple months, but I thought I'd join this forum as well!

I've been using fountain pens since I was 13 I think, but around sometime last year I kind of started collecting more pens. Up to that moment I had written with a cheap (around 3 euros) fountain pen from a Dutch store. That one had been used and abused a lot, so I wanted to buy a new pen. At this point I didn't know much about fountain pens, so I got a Parker Jotter, thinking it would be a good pen (because it was a Parker). I also just really love Parker's arrow clip and have pretty small hands, so I thought I'd like it. I didn't, and started using my old pen again, mostly. Then later I got a Jinhao x750 (white) and a Lamy Safari (Petrol, F) and I really liked those. I started buying more inks, and ended up with a couple more Chinese pens, including a black matte x750, a Jinhao 992 and a Jinhao 911. A few days ago I got a Parker 45 CT Flighter with a 14K nib (a Fine, I'm pretty sure), which is my first "serious" pen, I suppose.

I recently got a bottle of Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün. I'm usually not a fan of bright colours, but this one is such a joy to use. Other than that I've been using Lamy Petrol, Pelikan Brilliant Brown and Waterman Absolute Brown a lot. I'm planning on ordering some iron gall ink and other permanent ink soon, I'm currently looking at KWZ Mandarin, Turquoise and Noodler's Black. The latter not being too exciting, but the only black I currently own is Waterman Intense Black and it's not permanent and not, well, intense enough for me.

I'm planning on buying a black Pilot 91 with a SFM, FM or SF nib this month. I actually have a question about that to anyone who owns a Pilot soft nib: would you say it's suitable for quick, daily note taking? Or would I be better off with a stiffer, regular nib? Also, would you say a SFM would be too wet to use on cheap paper? I'm a college student, so being able to use it on cheap paper would definitely help.

Sincerely,

thespyingdutchman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thespyingdutchman

• Stompie

• ThomasB

• omarcenaro

Hello and welcome to the community!

I don't own any soft nib and if you don't find a quick answer here make sure to check the Japan subforum of the Regional Focus section.

For notes on cheap I've always used the finest nib I had and the darkest and dryest inks I had, but I always copied down my notes at home so there's that.

See you around the forum, have a nice day! :)

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Hello and welcome to the community!

I don't own any soft nib and if you don't find a quick answer here make sure to check the Japan subforum of the Regional Focus section.

For notes on cheap I've always used the finest nib I had and the darkest and dryest inks I had, but I always copied down my notes at home so there's that.

See you around the forum, have a nice day! :)

Thank you!

I did actually. Posted my question there as well! And that does sound like the safest option.

Thanks, you too! Thanks for the help :)

I'm planning on ordering some iron gall ink and other permanent ink soon,

Hello and Welcome!

I would be very careful about using Iron Gall ink in a fountain pen! It may easily block the nib feed and no ink will flow through. Mostly, and I stand under correction here, Iron Gall is for dip pens where there is no fine feed for ink to flow through.

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy yourself on the forums, they are full of very helpful and great people!

Hello and Welcome!

I would be very careful about using Iron Gall ink in a fountain pen! It may easily block the nib feed and no ink will flow through. Mostly, and I stand under correction here, Iron Gall is for dip pens where there is no fine feed for ink to flow through.

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy yourself on the forums, they are full of very helpful and great people!

I know! I've done my research. There are some modern fountain pen iron gall inks that are relatively safe. I also clean my pens very often, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the heads up though:)

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Enjoy your time here

Thank you! I think I definitely will :)

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Thank you! So far my experience has been great. Everyone is so helpful:)

If they anything like my relatives then nothing is safe!!!!!! :D

relatively safe.

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome !

Small hands are not really the determining factor in choosing the size of a pen. Personal comfort is more important. The Jinhao x750 is a big, heavy pen, from its tubular metal construction. The Jinhao 992 is also a fat pen. Its heavier version, of metal tube construction, is the x450. I like the x450 a lot. It is reliable and , so far, indestructible. I, too, have small hands.

I find that larger pens encourage a less-tight, less cramping writing grip. How do you like your larger pens,compared to the more slender models ?

A Parker 45 is a vintage classic, and a worthy addition to any collection. I have carried one daily for nearly 50 years.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome !

Small hands are not really the determining factor in choosing the size of a pen. Personal comfort is more important. The Jinhao x750 is a big, heavy pen, from its tubular metal construction. The Jinhao 992 is also a fat pen. Its heavier version, of metal tube construction, is the x450. I like the x450 a lot. It is reliable and , so far, indestructible. I, too, have small hands.

I find that larger pens encourage a less-tight, less cramping writing grip. How do you like your larger pens,compared to the more slender models ?

A Parker 45 is a vintage classic, and a worthy addition to any collection. I have carried one daily for nearly 50 years.

Write with joy.

Ah, I suppose you're right. I guess I enjoy a heavy pen when I'm not writing much, but when I have to write for a longer amount of time, I prefer a lighter pen. I don't like exceptionally thin grip sections, but I really enjoy the 45s section for example. I'd say I dislike anything much thinner.

I think you might have got the 992 mixed up. The 992 is a pretty small pen, and has a really thin grip sections. It's the plastic one that comes in a lot of demonstrator colours. Nice little pen for the money though!

I'm very happy with the 45! Great design and a really good writer.

Thank you :)

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill