Dark Teals, Green-Blue-Blacks, And Dark Turquoise Inks

Intensity

I've just photographed a bunch of Col-O-Ring cards with darker blue-green inks, while comparing them to a custom-mixed ink discussed in Inky Recipes: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/334121-masques-mix-black-swan-in-icelandic/

I thought I'd share the photographs here, in case they will be helpful for anyone. Since display calibration and general accuracy of representation varies, the main value of these is comparative between the shades. Though I did try to make the colors appear as I see them in person (at least on my devices). I think Fire& Ice should be slightly more saturated and a tad more green. Turquoise and Eau de Nil should be a bit less saturated, more matte.

puWiLDm.jpg

a47cFar.jpg

Diamine Asa Blue is a slightly turquoise medium blue.

Birmingham Pen Co. Fountain Turquoise is a pale greenish turquoise.

Lamy Petrol is similar to Noodler's Aircorp Blue Black in regular writing: both are quite green blue-blacks. ACBB has no sheen, Petrol has unique rose gold sheen.

Sailor's Yama Dori was a disappointment to me: it's a dark teal-black that's got a kind of matte washed out appearance. Granted it does sheen easily, but I just didn't care for the lackluster base color.

Robert Oster Fire & Ice: ranges from dark blue-teal to very vivid glowing turquoise, depending on the pen used (dry or wet). Sheen is pretty minimal unless you let the ink concentrate sitting in a pen for a few days.

Diamine Eau de Nil: nice muted blue-teal, darker, not too vivid

Robert Oster Tranquility: this is a green-teal

Robert Oster Aqua: more green than Fire & Ice

J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor: similar to Aqua in base color. Sheen and shimmer can be hit or miss, depending on paper and concentration

Organics Studio Walden Pond "Blue" : definitely a misnomer, there is almost nothing blue about it. It's strongly green, though on the bluer green side. Sheens a vivid metallic magenta so easily, it can take over the whole writing. If you use a dip pen with it and low absorbent paper like Clairefontaine or greeting cards, the metallic sheen completely covers up the green-black, and the letters look like you wrote them with a metallic magenta ink.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• Chrissy

• tamiya

• Mechayoshi

Thank you. These are nice. :) Did you intend to post the same picture twice or did you by any chance intend to post two different pictures? :huh:

Hehe, they are actually 2 different pictures in slightly different lighting (see different background too).

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Nice! My kind of colour(s). Thank you for posting these
I have a few of these but not all. It's a nice collection you have here!

Nice! My kind of colour(s). Thank you for posting these

I have a few of these but not all. It's a nice collection you have here!

Thank you—half of these were just samples. The other half were full bottles, though I no longer have half of those (trying to only keep what I like to use).

Mm, this is interesting. A couple years ago I got myself a bottle of Sailor Yama Dori as I found that (of the inks I'd seen to that point) it was the one that most closely matched my favorite color, which is a very particular shade of blue-leaning dark teal. But now, looking at your swabs, Robert Oster Fire & Ice looks like it might be an even better match for my favorite color.

'Tis too bad ink samples aren't available where I live (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia). I might have to go visit my local pen shops and ask if they have any open bottles I might dip from for a quick test.

Hmm. Synchronicity. I ordered samples of Yama-Dori, Eau de Nile and Aqua, as well as RO Marine on Friday. Thank you for this! Others to contemplate.

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks for this, the ink swatches are very nice, and the side by side comparison with other inks is really refreshing to the eyes.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

• 8 months later...

I like the colors but I don't understand why you call them, "blue/black".Most of them are green, just green.

I agree with OP that Aircorps blue-black is a green blue-black, which was what they were really saying :)

‘Blue-black’ is an old term for a range of ink color in the murky navy blue category, which can vary from more or less actual mixture of blue and black to teal-black. I don’t know how that term came about, but most of the older formulations of “blue-black” seem have a dose of green. As for why Noodler’s Aircorp Blue Black has “Blue” in its name, I couldn’t say—it’s definitely quite green even by the loose blue-black standards. Anything that’s dark dirty blue or blue-green is referred to as blue-black in the fountain pen business.

• 4 weeks later...

oh... nothing to do with bruising then :)

BlueBlack always reminds me of biliverdin

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z_MecK26obM/VY12E4vRxSI/AAAAAAAACNc/_oyCpahtCRw/s1600/Bruises.png

I believe that Aircorps Blue-black was formulated to color-match a 1940s blue-black that Nathan had found a (dried up?) bottle of.

Really? Where is that info?

As for this, where's Noodlers Navy? It's a perfect teal ink for this list.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000