India Red - Graf Von Faber-Castell

visvamitra

Graf von Faber-Castell was founded in 1761 and developed into the major manufacturer of wood-cased pencils. With time they started to offer much broader range of products. Few years ago company's introduced six inks. Last year they've added three new colors to the line. This year they've done the same. Three new GvFC colors hit the shelves.

fpn_1521823296__indiared_gvfc_is.jpg

India Red is enjoyable to use. The color isn't too heavy but I like it. Also, the flow is simply excellent. It flows almost like J. Herbin Eclat de Saphire and I love it. I haven't experienced any clogging or skipping issues and that's always a plus. Some feathering and bleedthrough will be experienced on absorbent and thin papers.

Overall impression - nice. I like it.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1521823311__indiared_gvfc_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1521823325__indiared_gvfc_cc_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1521823340__indiared_gvfc_cc_4.jpg

My company's notebook (low quality paper), Waterman Hemisphere, fine nib

fpn_1521823410__indiared_gvfc_cc_1.jpg

fpn_1521823430__indiared_gvfc_cc_2.jpg

Field Notes, Kaigelu 316, medium nib

fpn_1521823360__indiared_fn_1.jpg

fpn_1521823391__indiared_fn_2.jpg

Rhodia, Waterman Hemisphere, fine nib

fpn_1521823444__indiared_gvfc_rh_1.jpg

fpn_1521823465__indiared_gvfc_rh_2.jpg

Tsubame, Kaigelu 316, medium nib

fpn_1521823538__indiared_tsubame_1.jpg

fpn_1521823572__indiared_tsubame_2.jpg

Clairefontaine, Waterman Hemisphere, fine nib

fpn_1521823483__indiared_ts_1.jpg

fpn_1521823501__indiared_ts_2.jpg

fpn_1521823521__indiared_ts_3.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Torrilin

• ScottieDarin

• Bexinthecity247

It looks like a nice red, and it will no doubt be attractive to many. For myself, I see no reason to replace any of the reds I am already using with it.

Graf von Faber Castell plot complete hegemony of my ink drawer.

I think I have enough and similar reds to resist them.

X

Thank you for another great review. I wonder how this compares to Pilot Iro Momiji. It looks like it has that bit of an orange cast.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

This doesn't have that orangish cast in my 1.5 stub nib; I think it is the "purest" red I have found. It reminded me of Sheaffer Skrip red, until I realised that this one maintain's it's red better than the Skrip does for me. Wet, I like Skrip red, dried it seems to show a brownish hue that this ink does not. (And I may just be justifying the addition of this bottle of red ink!)

Thanks for the review. Nice red-the writing samples remind a bit of Noodler’s Empire Red.

• 3 months later...

It is nice. Very nice. Not OMG I must acquire, but hmm, what a pleasant ink.

Thank you for the review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

Dry time looks excellent, and there’s a softness to the red that makes extended text seem a bit more readable. I’ll have to see if I can find cartridges.

I really like this one! Gonna add it to my list to purchase. Thank you for the review!

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

• 5 months later...

I loaded a sample of this ink in my Pilot Metropolitan F nib, and have been using it mostly for drawing markups and comments. It is a nice earthy red, not jewel tone at all, but still a rich, saturated hue. The plot paper I use for drawings is a 24lb Boise Polaris, which is relatively smooth and doesn't show much feathering or bleed through, like many other copier papers do. That nib is fairly thin, but smooth, and the ink seems to flow well and looks great.

Nice red!

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

• 2 weeks later...

Vis, I was just reading that book - I think it may be too sophisticated for me. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY