M600 Turquoise Has Turned Up (Out Of The , Er ...blue)

encremental

Still too green. I hope they will come up one that I like this year because this isn't it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• encremental

• sargetalon

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• sirgilbert357

If you like a corset on a sexy woman, why wouldn't you like one on a sexy pen? It is still confunsing for me. Does it make you feel less like a man? Then you have some inferiority issues. Are woman supposed to be less/inferior?

You make an issue out of nothing.

Corsets have long (for a hundred years) been seen as instruments of torture on women (self-imposed or not). They are mostly sold now as novelty costume items or props for sado-masochism. The box is stupid and sexist, unless it is only a reference to shoelaces. Then it is just stupid.

I think that the pen's blue color is quite nice.

Just get a classic Blue Striped.

I already have one!

Still, the blue on mine is darker than this new one. This one has a Caribbean Sea kind of blue to it. I love blueits my favorite colorso I would gladly have both, but not with white bits..

Corsets have long (for a hundred years) been seen as instruments of torture on women (self-imposed or not). They are mostly sold now as novelty costume items or props for sado-masochism. The box is stupid and sexist, unless it is only a reference to shoelaces. Then it is just stupid.

I think that the pen's blue color is quite nice.

Please dont go there. That will get the thread locked. The pen isnt a woman, the box isnt a corset and we arent living in the past. Lets just move on...

Edited by sirgilbert357

(sigh!) Another stunning beauty way out of my range! I missed the pink one and I will likely miss this one too! Alas! Poor me!

I love the box with the lovely ribbon tying it all together! It is such a special present.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Ignoring all the corsetry, sadmasochism, etc... the box, to me, just felt a bit cheap, and not as nice as the usual Pelikan boxes. The ribbons will surely get to look very sad rather quickly, and if you have cats, they make your Pelikan box likely to get chewed or beaten up.*

My big issue with these pens is that they don't have the lovely variance in colours within the stripes that the vintage turquoise pens do. They feel more like pink/white/turquoise pinstripe. The colour's lovely, but it just feels rather cold to me.

* go on... ask me how I know :-)

Edited by amk

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Thank you everybody for the kind comments.

Pelikan's dodgy marketing of the M600 pink is a well-worn path, and I have no wish to go there again, except perhaps to show the interesting trophy they received for their efforts. (There are no words...)

My issue with the nasty corset box is the execrable dog's dinner of a design.

If you are going to embrace expensive packaging (hand assembly, ribbons, eyelets, six magnets and an inlay) and go for the whole Unboxing thing, then surely when it comes to the big reveal, the pen should not be flanked by awkward lengths of ribbon going off at strange angles, other bits squashed under ugly scraps of card and the general look of the back of an old door, - more outhouse than Bauhaus. Seriously, if Jony Ive saw that, he would have to go and have a lie-down.

Manufacturing these boxes is what is causing the delivery delay, and goodness know how much they cost. Maybe a plainer box, a cheaper pen or even the removal of the EF and F nib surcharges would be a better use of the cash. I throw almost all of my boxes away anyway, so perhaps this irks me more than most.

Silver furniture or a black cap? Nope. Vermeil or nothing!

post-7552-0-77840000-1522066459_thumb.jpg

(I know it's a M850 cap, but the M650 has so far eluded me)

For Nikaa, here is a writing sample in Sailor Souten with a few other popular turquoises on sample cards. The EF nib really is superb, BTW. I've had some really good ones from Pelikan recently.

post-7552-0-65410000-1522067172_thumb.jpg

Sirgilbert - yes, I leave the blind cap unscrewed to show that the pen has been cleaned for storage.

amk - cold and no variation - really? :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet:

post-7552-0-88944500-1522067351_thumb.jpg

I do think that's true of the white, though - but here they've nailed it.

John

Silver furniture or a black cap? Nope. Vermeil or nothing!

attachicon.gif 20180325_172511.jpg

For Nikaa, here is a writing sample in Sailor Souten with a few other popular turquoises on sample cards. The EF nib really is superb, BTW. I've had some really good ones from Pelikan recently.

attachicon.gif 20180325_173103_cr.jpg

amk - cold and no variation - really? :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet:

The gold cap is slightly gaudy for me, the white one speaks classy. I love it.

Thanks for the color swatches and another look at the pen! :wub:

I was one of those who thought that the stripes look monotone, as in mono-color, but this was before I saw your pictures. The commercial pictures show a very dull barrel, but yours show off the different hues very well. Now I'm imagining having the pink-white, the white ghost, the white tortoise, and this one. Be still my heart. :wub:

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

What a beautiful pen. I wish that it came in the M800 size... or, if it must be an m600 size, at least make the piston mechanism brass like the larger Pelikans. Yet still I'm tempted by this creature.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

I don't care or think about any box any pen comes in, but I carefully store all of them. If I sell a pen years from now, perhaps I can get a bit more for a pen in its original packaging!

The photos definitely make the pen binde look more sky blue/cerulean blue than turquoise. Sadly I don't think one is going to be in the budget. Just like the pink one wasn't in my budget. Not overly enamored by the box but the blue/turquoise ribbon is making me a *bit* less squeamish than the pink did.
Curious about the weight. Part of my issue with the Pink was the weight. But I didn't have that problem with the White Transparent someone brought to a pen club meeting. Dunno if there really was a difference, or if it was just perceptional on my part, after getting used to the weight of a TWSBI 580-AL. So looking for feedback from anyone who has both this pen and either (or both) of the other pens as to weight and balance.

Honestly, in spite of the sexist packaging, I *would* have bought the Pink, just because it was an attractive pen. Whereas the White Transparent didn't grab me somehow. And if I had the money I would likely want to buy this pen.

Now, if we could only get Pelikan to release the Pink as an M200/M400 size pen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Not wanting to be argumentative, I happen to agree with encremental and RoyalBlueNotebooks: that packaging is silly and wasteful: think how Pelikan might have lowered the price, had they packed it less extravagantly. (Remember the ordinary green and yellow cardboard boxes you still sometimes see with vintage Pelikans?)

It's the bl**dy marketing wallahs that rule the world, these days, I tell you!

I love (the look of) the pen!

There is a counter-argument: extravagant packaging allows for more profitable pricing. Put the pen in a cheaply-made plain cardboard box, and you couldn't charge as much for it. If they put it in a nice burled-walnut box with a brass plate engraved with the model number and style name, they could probably add on another $100, of which $40 would be the cost of the box.

Instead of "corset", the design makes me think "Converse canvas high-top sneakers".

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Instead of "corset", the design makes me think "Converse canvas high-top sneakers".

A fetish of a different kind 😉

Thank you for the sample! :)

I know souten well, so it gives me an idea of ​​the juiciness of this nib :) it's great! thanks for other color samples !! and ... I am more and more convincing to the golden finish ;)

Hurrah! After playing at dressing up with the M850 vermeil cap upthread, I have managed to bag a M650 on eBay this afternoon, and will be able to actually live the fantasy in real life! Just the M1050 to go.

amk - yes, really what is up with Pelikan's product shots? The main reason I didn't buy the M600 pink was because I was worried about a hot pink/cream/gold combination. Now having seen one with its warm raspberry tones for real of course it looks wonderful (I was probably also having a 'how much???' seasonal snit about Pelikan raising their prices, but that happens most years). The poor colour accuracy seems to be happening with every pen now, and it's really not a difficult problem to rectify.

inkstainedruth - the Turquoise and the Transparent White are the standard M600 weight, which is 18g (.63oz). Maybe the Pink was heavy with the tears of women who had glimpsed the Stylo Feminin trophy?

John

John

Well all I know is that the Pink was heavy and the White Transparent wasn't. And that last year I bought a couple of M405s and one of them was the (supposedly) "masculine" Anthracite Stresemann.... Which I think is classy looking.

One of the pens I've bought this year was a re-issued French-made Parker Vector that is purple (well, truthfully, because purple :rolleyes:). But NOT this year's pink Lamy al-Star (not a pink I found remotely attractive :sick:). Other purchases this year have been black (Noodler's Boston Safety and a vintage Parker Laidtone Duofold/Duovac), blue (1980s era Pelikan Pelikano; and grey (Lamy LX and Pilot Decimo). So what does that say about "Stylo Feminin" (which I had to look up and then use Google Translate because my French is pretty limited)? Well, other perhaps than that I defy classification, that is.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hurrah! After playing at dressing up with the M850 vermeil cap upthread, I have managed to bag a M650 on eBay this afternoon, and will be able to actually live the fantasy in real life! Just the M1050 to go.

amk - yes, really what is up with Pelikan's product shots? The main reason I didn't buy the M600 pink was because I was worried about a hot pink/cream/gold combination. Now having seen one with its warm raspberry tones for real of course it looks wonderful (I was probably also having a 'how much???' seasonal snit about Pelikan raising their prices, but that happens most years). The poor colour accuracy seems to be happening with every pen now, and it's really not a difficult problem to rectify.

inkstainedruth - the Turquoise and the Transparent White are the standard M600 weight, which is 18g (.63oz). Maybe the Pink was heavy with the tears of women who had glimpsed the Stylo Feminin trophy?

John

John

The accuracy of the product shots has been a real problem over the last several releases. Pelikan really need to look into a new photographer.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan