Pilot Vp And Sticking/stuck Converters

MaryMerry

Hi, I am new to the forum!! I have a couple of fine nib Pilot VP's I recently purchased in last few months.... I LOVE them! I have had a couple of problems though. The con-50 converts are hard to grip and pull out to add ink (I do not clean every time i fill). I do not clean weekly as maybe I should, but these nibs/ink systems in the VP's are super hard to clean! Last night, I just could not get the converter out, the tiny tip is hard to grip even though I have tiny fingers! When I grabbed hold and pulled straight out, the converter simply came apart! The screw-on end piece came off while the rest was still stuck in pen.... I had to get pilers to get it out!

Why are these so hard to get out of the pen? Is this normal? I like to put ink in and refill 3-4 times (I usually fill up 2 times a week). Am I just not cleaning often enough? If so, is there an easy way to clean these pens, get the ink out and dry??? I love these pens, but have been having a tough time with them.

I am only using Pilot ink in these. I wanted to use Noodlers but ink made the nib super scratchy... Pilot inks work best!

Thanks,

Mary

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MaryMerry

• pararis

• MYU

• ehemem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a similar experience with my CON-50, when I had only one VP. I switched to a CON-20 and never looked back. The CON-50 isn't well designed and there's not a lot of travel for a piston mechanism in this pen. I suggest switching to a CON-20 or go the route of refilling cartridges (which I do on a few pens, with success).

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Why are you removing the converter to refill the pen? Why not just take out the whole nib unit and fill from the bottle through the nib?

I fill mine through the nib. But taking the converter out is impossible at this point. It's frozen in place. I suspect this is common with the con-50 in the VP.

Why are you removing the converter to refill the pen? Why not just take out the whole nib unit and fill from the bottle through the nib?

I always remove the converter, then use a syringe to refill.... never liked the idea of submerging my nib in ink for a refill (contamination ...and, well, I could screw up and stick it in wrong color!)

I fill mine through the nib. But taking the converter out is impossible at this point. It's frozen in place. I suspect this is common with the con-50 in the VP.

Really?!... how do you clean the pen out when changing colors!?

I had a similar experience with my CON-50, when I had only one VP. I switched to a CON-20 and never looked back. The CON-50 isn't well designed and there's not a lot of travel for a piston mechanism in this pen. I suggest switching to a CON-20 or go the route of refilling cartridges (which I do on a few pens, with success).

I put a con-40 in it... yes, the con-50 seem like they have multiple possible failure points! Oh, and I used an ultra-sonic (jewelry) cleaner to clean both of my VP's lastnight!!! It's the cleanest they have ever been!!! Woohooo :)

You can flush the pen repeatedly with water, until the water comes out clear

Why would I change ink color? I'm not an ink fetish person. I use Oster Blue-Black in that pen, and there's no need to use anything else.

And if I needed to clean it for some reason, I could flush with water through the nib/feed.

Finally, I'm not much worried as when a time comes I actually need to remove the converter, I have the tools and know-how to remove it without causing harm.

Hi, I am new to the forum!! I have a couple of fine nib Pilot VP's I recently purchased in last few months.... I LOVE them! I have had a couple of problems though. The con-50 converts are hard to grip and pull out to add ink (I do not clean every time i fill). I do not clean weekly as maybe I should, but these nibs/ink systems in the VP's are super hard to clean! Last night, I just could not get the converter out, the tiny tip is hard to grip even though I have tiny fingers! When I grabbed hold and pulled straight out, the converter simply came apart! The screw-on end piece came off while the rest was still stuck in pen.... I had to get pilers to get it out!

Why are these so hard to get out of the pen? Is this normal? I like to put ink in and refill 3-4 times (I usually fill up 2 times a week). Am I just not cleaning often enough? If so, is there an easy way to clean these pens, get the ink out and dry??? I love these pens, but have been having a tough time with them.

I am only using Pilot ink in these. I wanted to use Noodlers but ink made the nib super scratchy... Pilot inks work best!

Thanks,

Mary

Hey there, a fellow VP (well...Decimo) user here. I find that using the small nib guide 'stub' as a gripping point works well enough to pull the nib unit and converter apart. May I suggest twisting a rubber band around your fingers (gripping the converter) to allow for better traction on the plastic body of the converter (not the piston itself)? Shouldn't require a lot of force, just proper application of it (or so I've discovered).

FWIW I got the Decimo with a CON-20 but changed it out for a CON-40, just preferred being able to see my ink levels. The CON-20 took a terrifying* amount of force to insert (I've only ever used SI converters and CON-70s/CON-40s prior to this), but at least it has the benefit of a metal-backed body to hold on to.

* I was quite afraid I'd snap my then-new Decimo by being ham-fisted during the installation and removal of the converter.

I gave up on using a converter with my VPs. I just refill the ink cartridge with bottled ink using a syringe. The cartridge holds a lot more ink, and you don't have the hassle of the converter. Just about everyone I know who has a VP has hassles with the converter.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I gave up on using a converter with my VPs. I just refill the ink cartridge with bottled ink using a syringe. The cartridge holds a lot more ink, and you don't have the hassle of the converter. Just about everyone I know who has a VP has hassles with the converter.

I've done this for years. If your pen did not come with the metal cap for cartridges you need to get one: https://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-vanishing-point-metal-cartridge-cap/p/PN69903

This cap is required to insure that the length of the nib assembly + cartridge is correct and that the softer cartridge does not compress when using the pen's mechanism.

In addition to filling cartridges with an ink syringe, I've found that the large opening on the cartridge allows the use of a plastic pipette to refill the cartridge: https://www.gouletpens.com/goulet-pipettes-10-pack/p/GP-10005

post-106621-0-82451700-1522104588_thumb.png

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation