Does Anyone Have Robert Oster "fire And Ice" And "water Ice" I Could Sample?

JonB55198

Hello FPN,

Does anyone have Robert Oster "Fire and Ice" and "Water Ice" I could sample? I've really wanted to buy both of these inks as they look interesting. But I'd like to try some samples first.

Admins: Is this the correct place to post a request like this?

Thanks for your time everyone :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• amberleadavis

• Chrissy

• ErrantSmudge

If you don't get a taker, Goulet Pens, Anderson Pens, and Vanness all sell Robert Oster inks as samples.

If you don't get a taker, Goulet Pens, Anderson Pens, and Vanness all sell Robert Oster inks as samples.

Good to know. I knew about Goulet. But I didn't know about Anderson or Varness. Have you tried these inks? Do they live up to the hype?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

Anderson and Vanness I think both offer more ink in the sample vial than Goulet.

I’m still pretty new to Robert Oster inks. I have a bottle of Tranquility which is similar in color, but I haven’t seen the sheen from it that Fire and Ice is known for.

Anderson and Vanness I think both offer more ink in the sample vial than Goulet.

I’m still pretty new to Robert Oster inks. I have a bottle of Tranquility which is similar in color, but I haven’t seen the sheen from it that Fire and Ice is known for.

As far as I can tell, sheen depends on the ammount of ink you get in one place. This is of course affected by the pen, but also by the paper. I have seen both Sailor Souten and Diamine Steel Blue produce an impressive sheen on one kind of paper and, in the same pen, do nothing on another kind of paper.

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

I've got a sample vial of Fire and Ice and so far the only sheen is on Tomoe paper so one needs a not very absorbent surface and a wet pen.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I have used up a sample of Fire and Ice and almost bought the largest bottle of it, as it is my favorite ink with the caveat that it has VERY poor water resistance. It smears terribly, and not much but a smear is left behind if you actually spill anything. Hence I've held off buying it; I like my inks to have a good bit of durability. But I adore the hue and the shading, as long as I use it in a dry pen: the ink comes out lighter and more vivid that way, but of course you get no sheen. Fire & Ice does not sheen easily, unless certain conditions are met. For instance, in normal writing on some average fountain-pen-friendly paper, and given that your pen does not put down a very juicy line, you won't see any sheen. If you let the ink dry out a little after sitting in a pen for a few days to a week, some water evaporates, and ink concentration goes up--then it sheens a LOT. Or it sheens while you go through the concentrated ink in the feed and then once you get to the more diluted ink in the converter, it again becomes difficult to get the sheen to show up. You can also get it to sheen on Tomoe River with a dip pen.

Anyway, if you're getting it for the sheen, there are a lot other inks that sheen far more easily. Like Sailor Jentle Yama Dori. Or super sheen-crazy Organics Studio Walden Pond "Blue" (it's really quite teal-green). If you're getting it for the base ink color, that's a different story--it's a beautiful color (subjectively, of course).

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Good to know. I knew about Goulet. But I didn't know about Anderson or Varness. Have you tried these inks? Do they live up to the hype?

I've purchased from Goulet, Anderson, and Vanness multiple times each and they're all great. I'll toss a shout-out to Federalist Pens, too. Great people and they also sell samples of Robert Oster ink.

I'll toss a shout-out to Federalist Pens, too. Great people and they also sell samples of Robert Oster ink.

I'll check out their website. I haven't heard of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a sample of Fire and Ice. Tried it once. Nice looking. Tested its resistance to water, then flushed it and saved the sample vial. Might be good for water coloring art, but not for important documents.

I love Fire and Ice. I am a huge fan of it. I feel it lives up to the hype. I write mainly with flexy vintage pens, and I mainly write on Tomoe River paper. I am used to giving letters drying time etc. I have not tried Water and Ice. But I have several Oster inks and I am a fan. They are very saturated, lots of sheen.

And don't forget, we don't allow requests or purchases in threads. Since the responses indicate places where you can purchase the inks, we have allowed the post to remain with all the helpful hints.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hello FPN,

Does anyone have Robert Oster "Fire and Ice" and "Water Ice" I could sample? I've really wanted to buy both of these inks as they look interesting. But I'd like to try some samples first.

Admins: Is this the correct place to post a request like this?

And don't forget, we don't allow requests or purchases in threads. Since the responses indicate places where you can purchase the inks, we have allowed the post to remain with all the helpful hints.

Jonathan carefully asked about this on March 22nd when he posted it.

I appreciate all the feedback about where to get these samples. They helped me find a couple of places that I didn't know existed. Very helpful. Thank you very much.

• 11 months later...

Based on everyone's feedback, I ended up getting a full bottle of "Fire and Ice" and a sample size of "Blue Water Ice". I'm looking forward to testing it out soon!

Based on everyone's feedback, I ended up getting a full bottle of "Fire and Ice" and a sample size of "Blue Water Ice". I'm looking forward to testing it out soon!

Wonderful! Please do return with your impressions.

Robert Oster's Blue Water Ice has become one of my favorite inks, which surprises my Blue Black self. As much as I like BWI writ large (via a 1.1 stub, or modified Pilot Parallel), I love it most in my Pilot Stargazer with the F nib (which is very Fine, indeed): it presents as a nice deep blue with turquoise highlights, and red sheen in the pools.

BWI is the only ink I have in multiple pens, so much do I enjoy the variety of results in pens with nibs of different width, grind, wetness, etc.

All of which to say, based on pictures alone I am not sure I would like Fire & Ice better. It strikes me as keening more green/teal as a base color? But it's on my own list of Samples To Try Next.

Enjoy. :-)

~ S.

Well, JB, what have you decided?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY