Franklin-Christoph Smoke And Ice Issue

soomjack

Hello Everyone,

I recently received my F-C 02 Intrinsic in smoke and ice with a medium SIG grind, and I'm in love -- the nib, the design, and the finish have all made this easily my favorite pen to date. However, I've encountered an issue that I haven't seen discussed before:

When filling the converter, ink is drawn up between the nib assembly and the section acrylic. This, in itself, is probably to be expected, and the finish definitely makes it more conspicuous than it otherwise would be. However, I did notice, after only my third fill, a slight bit of staining in this area. The culprit was Iroshizuku Shin Kai.

This happened despite cleaning between fills. Now, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of the light purple-blue hue of my virtually brand new section. I've definitely heard some warn against ED'ing these pens with Iroshizuku inks, but just filling the converter? Is the antique glass considerably easier to maintain and clean? I know I could try an ultrasonic cleaner or F-C's recommended ammonia/water solution, but it just seems too soon. Are the ultrasonic cleaners best for this finish? Any smoke and ice owners out there have any input or suggestions on how I might avoid this in the future? Are there certain inks which should be avoided even in converters?

Thanks much in advance, all. I look forward to posting here more often!

Edited by soomjack

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soomjack

• Bill Wood

• adatse

• hot cocoa

I would suggest a very diluted solution of bleach + water to get the stains out. I have done this on other acrylic pens but not on this particular FC pen. Maybe others can chime in who have more experience with this finish.

Before going to the chemicals, I would suggest trying something more benign like Goulet Pen's pen cleaner. There are a lot of others. They other thing I would do is call Franklin Christoph. They are known for their great customer service.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Dr.-- very good idea. Ill order the Goulet flush. If that takes care of it, I may stick with the finish after all.

I've read about their reputation for solid customer service. Will keep this in mind.

Thanks a lot for the response.

I had this exact problem (different ink, though) with my FC Pocket 40 in ice. Tried everything recommended, but the stains remained.

Ended up contacting FC & sending back the pen to have them work some magic on the cap's insides. Hey presto, problem fixed since then.

Edited by hot cocoa

I had this exact problem (different ink, though) with my FC Pocket 40 in ice. Tried everything recommended, but the stains remained.

Ended up contacting FC & sending back the pen to have them work some magic on the cap's insides. Hey presto, problem fixed since then.

Well, that's good to hear! How long have you had it since? Were they able to completely rid the finish of stains before working their preventative magic?

I'm just now noticing a tiny spot on the inside of the cap which is equally stubborn -- I really do hate that I'm bothered by such minor flaws, but what can ya do? Starting to wonder if I should just return it for another finish.

I plan to contact them tomorrow about it. Thanks for the info.

Same experience as hot cocoa. My Pocket 40 is emerald and ice so I always load it with the first color it held, green, and the stains fade to the background.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

2 cap fulls of ammonia, a few drops of dish detergent,in a glass of water. Soak overnight. I use pipe cleaners a lot for scrubbing. That's the ticket.

thanks much for all the suggestions. I ended up trying the ammonia and water solution and it cleaned the section perfectly!

• 3 months later...

I have an ice FC as well and have been afraid to change inks given the staining. What was the turnaround time for FC to clean the pen for you, and did they tell you how they cleaned it?

I have an ice FC as well and have been afraid to change inks given the staining. What was the turnaround time for FC to clean the pen for you, and did they tell you how they cleaned it?

I have an Italian Ice Model 02, which was badly stained (cap and body) from F-C Black Cherry ink. I took it to the Chicago Pen Show to ask Jim for cleaning tips. He worked on it for awhile, then decided to take it back to NC for a more thorough cleaning. I had it back in my hands in four days. Jim told me to use a little sudsy ammonia and water for cleaning, and I assume that is what he used on it when he had it in the spa.

I just got a Model 65 in Antique Glass; haven't cleaned it yet, but I can see I will need to deal with that cap in the next couple of days. I'll be looking for some sudsy ammonia to add to my cleaning stable.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I have an Italian Ice Model 02, which was badly stained (cap and body) from F-C Black Cherry ink. I took it to the Chicago Pen Show to ask Jim for cleaning tips. He worked on it for awhile, then decided to take it back to NC for a more thorough cleaning. I had it back in my hands in four days. Jim told me to use a little sudsy ammonia and water for cleaning, and I assume that is what he used on it when he had it in the spa.

I just got a Model 65 in Antique Glass; haven't cleaned it yet, but I can see I will need to deal with that cap in the next couple of days. I'll be looking for some sudsy ammonia to add to my cleaning stable.

Sharon in Indiana

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - the FC's in clear material are going to stain when using the popular, concentrated inks - so find the best way to clean them religiously - especially is you use them as eye droppers. Ammonia, dish soap, and water are the primary items in a good pen wash.