Anybody Tried The Luxury Moonman M2?

probably a through and through cleaning demanded, I do it anyway for all my new pens ( and not just Chinese ones ) and time and time its proven a good run it that help, an I usually take the time to adjust the feed / nib / tine if found needed. Even the best of the best benefit from such simple preparations.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Maurizio

• cattar

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In any one's experience, does this pen burp quite a bit? I was thinking of using it less than half full since I tend to rotate pens frequently.

Also, does the nib dry up when not used more than 3-4 days?

So burping for mine has depended a lot on which ink I use. I initially filled it with Monteverde Love Red which pretty much constantly burped. So I tried Diamond Ancient Copper instead and it hasn't burped since.

As to dry out, I've gone several days without using it before and had no problems.

Overall, it's a great pen in my opinion. I am very happy with it.

Ancient Copper

Last time i used Ancient Copper in a pen, and it was an ink I really liked, it clogged it up something horrible!

Has this happened to you yet?

Wrote through half of yesterday's fill of PE Tanzanite. No burping.
Probably finish that fill today or tomorrow.
The capacity is great and the nib writes well, I don't have to pay attention to the pen while I write, and I still prefer a Sailor.

It is tempting to buy a handful of these for colored inks.

Yesterday, I tested the pen without flushing, then flushed, then filled. Flushing seems to make a difference with a lot of pens.
I like that it's a drier pen, most of my pens are.
I tend to use wetter inks, and have had a drier ink clog a pen.

Edited by cattar

Last time i used Ancient Copper in a pen, and it was an ink I really liked, it clogged it up something horrible!

I haven't much problem ancient copper in any of my pens so far. It's been doing great in the m2. Still flowing wonderfully!

I've had Ancient Copper for quite a while now, and find it completely unproblematic - with one exception. It *is* prone to "nib crud" in pens with caps that don't have airtight seal. Even there, though, a quick dip into water (and/or a quick rinse under flowing water) deals with the problem instantly: the 'crud' us just precipitated ink pigment, that very quickly dissolves again.

I don't know why some inks are more prone to "crudding up" the nib than others - but it *does* seem to be common with orange (or orangey-brown) inks - I've had the same issue with Diamine Pumpkin, and Toucan Orange.

I've had Ancient Copper for quite a while now, and find it completely unproblematic - with one exception. It *is* prone to "nib crud" in pens with caps that don't have airtight seal. Even there, though, a quick dip into water (and/or a quick rinse under flowing water) deals with the problem instantly: the 'crud' us just precipitated ink pigment, that very quickly dissolves again.

I don't know why some inks are more prone to "crudding up" the nib than others - but it *does* seem to be common with orange (or orangey-brown) inks - I've had the same issue with Diamine Pumpkin, and Toucan Orange.

It seems to be from a particular dye it can happen to yellow and green inks too.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Interesting that there seems to be a yellow dye that's precipitating out of ink and drying on nibs or clogging pens.

Took the Moonman out in my bag into the world yesterday. No spitting into the cap.
Finished the first fill, Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. No burping.

Temped to fill with J Herbin Pervenche 'cause it'd be pretty. But refilled with PE Tanzanite for that water resistance.
The Moonman will get weekdays for a while, but it's Sailors on the weekends.

I just received one of these in the mail today and everything that had been reported is spot on. This is probably the best made Chinese pen I've seen to date and especially in the quality of the acrylic and machining, it really is quite well done. I'm impressed by the smart use of o-rings and especially appreciative of the clear versions - it really reduces excess junk in the visual of the pen.

I wanted to get it in hand to really sense the dimensions, especially of the nib and feed... (hehe). Anyway, the nib is nothing special and I hoped my idea would work and it does: I put in place one of my favorite kind of nibs, a vintage Moore "Maniflex" 14k nib from the 1940s. These are somewhat akin to modern Platinum 'soft' nibs, though with a bit more spread. Using just a small amount of pressure you can get very nice line variation but great snap back and no deformation of the nib. I'm really pleased with how well it fit. Inked, for now, with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo. These are just quick-and-dirty iPad pics, but it gives a sense of the pen and nib. Enjoy.

q0yMN6I.jpg

n1w76un.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I also took delivery of one of these pens.

It's at work now in daily use. I find the 'dry' nib works well for cheaper paper. I also find that while it's fairly short, the wider barrel is easier for me to hold and the fact that it's an eyedropper means that the ink capacity is fantastic.

It's currently filled with Pelikan turquoise ink, and haven't had any issues with it.

The build quality seems good, and I'm very happy with it after a couple weeks writing. I'm contemplating getting another...

I just received one of these in the mail today and everything that had been reported is spot on. This is probably the best made Chinese pen I've seen to date and especially in the quality of the acrylic and machining, it really is quite well done. I'm impressed by the smart use of o-rings and especially appreciative of the clear versions - it really reduces excess junk in the visual of the pen.

I wanted to get it in hand to really sense the dimensions, especially of the nib and feed... (hehe). Anyway, the nib is nothing special and I hoped my idea would work and it does: I put in place one of my favorite kind of nibs, a vintage Moore "Maniflex" 14k nib from the 1940s. These are somewhat akin to modern Platinum 'soft' nibs, though with a bit more spread. Using just a small amount of pressure you can get very nice line variation but great snap back and no deformation of the nib. I'm really pleased with how well it fit. Inked, for now, with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo. These are just quick-and-dirty iPad pics, but it gives a sense of the pen and nib. Enjoy.

q0yMN6I.jpg

n1w76un.jpg

Wow, nice nib.

Where could I possibly get one of those? At a pen show, antique shop, someplace else?

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Wow, nice nib.

Where could I possibly get one of those? At a pen show, antique shop, someplace else?

Your answer is correct. ;) They are found at some pen shows (I imagine mostly in the US) and possibly more often on online acutions (i.e. eBay). Finding in the wild would be not as easy, and unfortunately they've only recently become... collectible. Damn.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 1 month later...

> collectible

What should this mean? Not easily available?

Wrong. Look at EBAY: e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/273233888393 There are more offers.

And the price is very good.

Since I bought them, I retired all my Sheaffer NoNonsense which I used before for coloured ink.

They are very good and reliable, smooth nib, they restart writing immediately - even after a long pause (I was just 3 weeks away).

Choose the larger nib (F) for colors. For normal writing, I haven't tried. I don't want to retire my expensive pens.

Perhaps I should buy some more.

> collectible

What should this mean? Not easily available?

Wrong. Look at EBAY: e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/273233888393 There are more offers.

Um... you misread my post. I was answering a question about the Moore Maniflex nib that I put in my M2. It is the Moore pens/nibs I was referring to as being collectable items, not the Moonman pens.

~ Benjamin Franklin

OK, I see - oops, sorry.

Was it easy to change the nibs?

Yes, but only because the M2 nib came out easily - it appears the feed is permanently in place? I couldn't get it to budge and I work on a lot of pens. Anyway, the two nibs were almost identical in size, just a slightly different curvature that was small enough to still allow pushing the nib into place. *Much* better than the stock nib.

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Beware that being clipless, this pen will have a tendency to roll into the floor and it'd be a shame to crack such a cool pen.

Just one data point, but mine did just that, onto a stone tile floor, and aside from some ink spray in the cap there were no ill effects. So these little guys are pretty tough! I still do wish there were some little built-in that prevented this from happening, though.