Visconti Changed Its Steel Nibs

Susanna

Visconti recently changed its small-size steel nibs, did you notice?

All the Rembrandt and Van Gogh fountain pens they're selling, since the beginning of 2018, are equipped with the new model of steel nib. It's quite ugly to see, but it seems very smooth and pleasant to use.

The bad news is that these new nibs are no longer compatible with the grips of the previous model. Not the whole nib group, nor the metal sheet only: they have different sizes, therefore also the slot in the grip changed.

It's a pity, because the full compatibility and the interchange possibility of nibs, even among different pens, was a wonderful feature of Visconti, in my opinion.

You could unscrew a calligraphic EF steel nib from a Giardino dell'Eden and screw it in a Homo Sapiens Medium, for example; even if this one mounts a small palladium nib with a different look. And vice-versa, because they were compatible.

http://blog.giardino.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/PenniniConfronto.jpg

Moreover, also the tip classification changed.
The F, M, B mark is missing, there is a different unit of measurement, now.

I explained all this in my blog: http://blog.giardino.it/2018/03/new-visconti-steel-nibs-not-compatible-with-older-ones/

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flipper_gv

• jthole

• jekostas

• drathbun

Not as nice looking for sure. Is the dot you mention in the blog for nib sizing on the front of the nib? No breather hole either!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I heard on a Goulet Q & A video that they had a steel nib shortage and in the meantime (until the end of the year, I believe) they are using these older steel nibs they had as a stopgap. They (Visconti) are advertising them as a little flexible.

I heard on a Goulet Q & A video that they had a steel nib shortage and in the meantime (until the end of the year, I believe) they are using these older steel nibs they had as a stopgap. They (Visconti) are advertising them as a little flexible.

Yup, was about to post the same thing. It's because they are in the process of re-designing their nibs, which will be available towards the end of the year (according to Goulet).

I just bought a van Gogh on saturday at the Cologne Pen Show and the nib on is one with the dots instead of F, M etc. I have two dots, which makes it a M and it writes like a dream, really buttery smooth. :wub:

If this new nib writes better than the previous one, then I'd say this is an upgrade and something to look forward to :D

Shahrin B)

I was in Florence 2 weeks ago and visited the Visconti store and got my first Visconti.(Rembradt) :) I received it it with the old style nib.

• 1 month later...

I love that crescent shape they use, so I hope it is temporary. I really like all my Visconti pens, and love the stub nibs.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information, Susanna.

Ditto!!!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 2 weeks later...

The new one really looks Schmidt made.

Schmidt no longer makes nibs. Current Schmidt-branded nibs are made by Bock (and likely this one is too).

Schmidt no longer makes nibs. Current Schmidt-branded nibs are made by Bock (and likely this one is too).

Good to know thanks

• 7 months later...

Thank you, Susanna.

What on earth were they thinking?

Today I had a chance to test the old and new nibs together. The new nibs are noticably different in my opinion; slightly more give than the old ones, and smooth without skipping.

If this new nib writes better than the previous one, then I'd say this is an upgrade and something to look forward to :D

In my opinion, yes.

Edited by jthole

I bought a Van Gogh "Starry Night" yesterday. It was in the old triangular box (which I understand they don't do anymore) but it has the new style nib. It is a medium with the two circles.

I was disappointed that it wasn't an old enough stock to have the pen with the black background on the Visconti logo on the clip or the name "Starry Night" on the barrel and the old nib WAS more attractive. However, I'm not concerned about any of that because this new style nib writes like a dream. The pen is beautiful, of course, but it is important for the pen to write well or I'd truly be disappointed. I'm glad to see Visconti has upped the quality of the steel nib. It might be "entry-level" for some, but it is the most expensive fountain pen I've ever conceived of owning.

V25vm69.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• 1 year later...
Hello to all FPNers!

What is the current situation with the types of steel nibs by Visconti(Bock\Schmidt)? I see from the photos on the online-stores at many stores (including Gulet) sale fountain pen with an old pattern on nibs, but the colors of body is are new (Rembrandt). Now the situation is as described by Susanna 2 years ago? Or is produce both types of nibs? Or is are back old designed pattern on new nibs?

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

thanks for floating this again... I just checked mine... a van gogh purchased in Amsterdam in 2018.. it came in the cool triangular packaging and has the old style nib. (I purchased it in within a few months of the OP)

I have the nibs in a Van Gough in fine and medium. They write much better than the old style nib in my Rembrant. The old nib is a drier nib, and needs a wet ink to write well. Whilst the old nibs look better, the new nibs are better writers.