Issues With Namiki #50, Including Urushi Blistering

msum

Hi all,

Apologies for the absence from the thread I started.

I appreciate all the responses, including from esteemed/experienced FPN members.

In summary, it seems to me:

• Slight bubbling on feed is within range of "normal". No problem here.
  • Little bit of serration/irregularity of thread probably a consequence of manufacturing process rather than damage by user.
  • Little bit of serration/irregularity of thread may be within range of "normal".
  • It wouldn't be unreasonable for me to see whether the seller can help with a resolution

Since I'm already in contact with Pilot, I shall see what they say.

Fortunately the pen wasn't a zillion dollars (it's not an "Emperor").

Cheers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• msum

• zaddick

• pitonyak

• Innosint

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone happen to have a #50 handy that they can inspect for me for similar thread issues?

Thanks.

The baby was asleep so I was able to check. No similar thread issue on my #50. The thread start closest to the end of the pen (so farthest from the rod) looked a little rough side to side buy not vertically like your pen. The feed in my pen also has a small smattering of spots, not as much as yours. Great, I did not notice them before, but I can see them with my 10X loupe. Now I can't unknow they are there. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

These are great writers, unique and not mass produced. Enjoy them without bothering for such minor things.

The baby was asleep so I was able to check. No similar thread issue on my #50. The thread start closest to the end of the pen (so farthest from the rod) looked a little rough side to side buy not vertically like your pen. The feed in my pen also has a small smattering of spots, not as much as yours. Great, I did not notice them before, but I can see them with my 10X loupe. Now I can't unknow they are there. :)

Thanks

And sorry ;-)

What make/model of loupe?

It's an old loupe from my father. Nothing great, but it has sentimental value. If you want recommend brands, people seem to like Belomo (I think that is the spelling ).

Slight bubbling on feed is acceptable. However, little bit of serration/irregularity of thread is a flaw to me, although it would not affect the function.

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating the thread as I said I would.

Have heard back from Pilot Australia saying that Pilot Japan needs to see the pen in person. They are unable to estimate potential repair costs etc. However, they will provide an obligation free quote once they are able to inspect the item. I'll be responsible for shipping interstate to Pilot Australia headquarters, but looks like the international shipping costs can be covered by Pilot. Is it unusual that Pilot Japan, based on photos, cannot provide even a rough speculation as to what a repair might entail?

I inquired with the seller as to whether he would help cover repair costs or whether he would accept a return if I cover return shipping, but he tells me he is unable to help in either way. I appreciate that some may not notice the thread issue, given its size and location, but it seems the issue would have been present at the time of sale and would be considered a defect by some.

Would anyone have any advice as to how to proceed? My inclination is that I should send it off for assessment and be prepared for it to be away for many months. However, I fear that the assessment will be yes, we can partly or completely ameliorate your issue at great expense - in which case I will be kicking myself for not buying brand new. I just want a Namiki #50 that I'm happy with...

Sorry the thread update has turned into a request for advice :-(. Thanks.

It is not unusual they want to see the pen in Japan. This is normal in my experience. Pictures do not tell a whole story. There may be other issues you cannot see.

I don't think the feed will be too expensive. The thread might be. I thought their repair costs were reasonable when I sent my pen in. Hopefully they will be for you too.

@zaddick: did you buy the pen used? Otherwise as far as I know, Namiki pens come with lifetime warranty for the original owner.

@msum: I'd say get it repaired. Though lifetime warranty should have covered that. They don't charge anything if the pen is still under warranty. I sent a Pilot Custom 823 with a cracked barrel and they repaired it free of cost.

Regarding the feed issue, it will recur. Here is a picture of the feed on my Urushi #50 bought new 2+ years ago. Have gone through 100ml+ of ink through it. Slight blistering at the base of the feed.

http://i.imgur.com/JYJ2b9P.jpg

Thanks.

I think responders to this thread have been pretty consistent with the view that bubbling is essentially normal.

So, its really only the thread anomaly that troubles me. I think I will indeed ultimately get it sent to Japan. Im just lamenting the lack of support from the seller in this regard.

I never would have noticed any of those flaws..... but I might in the future....

Zaddick, now that you know that you pen has flaws, I will happily take if off your hands to prevent further stress in your life. I can issue a "pick up label" and won't even charge you for the service! :lticaptd:

I wanted to post so that I would see responses, especially with respect to the resolution.

I never would have noticed any of those flaws..... but I might in the future....

Zaddick, now that you know that you pen has flaws, I will happily take if off your hands to prevent further stress in your life. I can issue a "pick up label" and won't even charge you for the service! :lticaptd:

I wanted to post so that I would see responses, especially with respect to the resolution.

Sure you can have the pen for free, but you have to buy the box to get it and the box is quite expensive.

$200 is quite expensive for a box, in my view. So, how about it? ;-)

I’ll try to keep everyone posted. Pilot Australia has been very helpful thus far, I think. It has been a little hard for them since they don’t do such repairs and don’t even bring Namiki into the country.

Sure you can have the pen for free, but you have to buy the box to get it and the box is quite expensive.

:yikes: Probably still a great deal!

$200 is quite expensive for a box, in my view. So, how about it? ;-)

I’ll try to keep everyone posted. Pilot Australia has been very helpful thus far, I think. It has been a little hard for them since they don’t do such repairs and don’t even bring Namiki into the country.

$200 is a pittance for such a fine box as I have with the pen. I will also include ink in its own fine box, a leather case, an eye dropper, and a very rare holder made for the pen. This is not the boring old rectangular box.

fpn_1523552175__20160110_220301_resized_

All joking aside, That is SWEET Zaddick...

and.... Surely a box like that is worth twice $200.

Thank you kindly.

Frankly I like the old style script nibs nuch more than the modern nibs with Mt. Fujii (nothing against the mountain itself). When this pen up for sale many years ago I also bought it to get ahold of the pen holder. I think what I have is essentially a store display for a distrubutor. I have seen these cylindrical boxes used a few times, usually with maki-e emperors. I think they are called bamboo-style boxes. I have only seen one other pen holder like that for sale in the past several years. I am not saying more may not exist, but I have not found them so I believe them to be pretty uncommon.