Issues With Namiki #50, Including Urushi Blistering

msum

Hi all,

Hoping some of you knowledgeable folk may be able to help me out as to how to proceed here.

I purchased a Namiki #50 Black Urushi from a fellow FPNer.

On initial inspection, I noted a couple of issues which I have tried to reflect in the attached photos:

1) Blistering of black urushi coating on underside of feed

2) Small chips (probably two) affecting the blind cap thread

The blind cap screws down onto the barrel without any issues. The chips are toward the top of the photo, where the thread is tapering down as it spirals up to the blind cap. So theyre fortunately at the other end of the thread to that which first engages with the barrel when one screws the blind cap on.

The seller doesnt know anything about either of these issues and hasnt sugggested that I contact Namiki under the assumption that they are manufacturing flaws (seems a reasonable accumption). I imagine the pen would be well out of warranty (the last two digits of the nib stamp are 09 which I had thought means that the nib was made in 2009).

What do you all think? Are these issues out of the ordinary? Is contacting Namiki indeed the best course of action? If so, who should I contact? I have sent a message to Pilot here in Australia as I failed to find appropriate contact details on the Namiki website.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

M

P.S. Let me know if there are issues with the photos

post-47265-0-04159300-1521153664_thumb.jpeg

post-47265-0-15358400-1521153752_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• msum

• zaddick

• pitonyak

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know from other threads that feed blistering has been known to happen but I wasn’t sure if it’s considered normal.

I am told that the pen has been inked once, in case that is helpful information.

I can't see the chips you mention and the blistering on the feed should not be an issue at all.

Thanks.

I’ll try to get the area of damaged thread circled when I have time to work out how best to do that in the absence of Photoshop or Illustrator etc.

It’s a small area. Maybe two chips spread over ~2.5mm of length. Annoys the “perfectionist” in me, perhaps.

Actually, it’s best described as irregularity of the thread. There are two or three main depressions (erroneously described by me as chips), but it’s just a general jaggedness.

In the photo it’s the uppermost part of the thread. The “highest” (with respect to positioning in the photoframe) part of the thread that is still visible.

I can see how it could happen with just a slip of the tool used to cut the thread or else with an area of weak material, but the rest of the threads in/on the pen seem to be well cut.

Thanks.

Handmade object have "flaws". Some choose to embrace them.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Handmade object have "flaws". Some choose to embrace them.

Thanks Lloyd.

I’m just asking because I don’t know what’s “wabi-sabi”, as it were, and what’s a manufacturing flaw that crosses into the unacceptable range. Hence my consulting those with Japanese pen experience here on the forum.

How do threads get cut when pens are “handmade”? Are there particular tools?

You are in for a treat my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F12qUyIACM

Thanks Lloyd.

I’m just asking because I don’t know what’s “wabi-sabi”, as it were, and what’s a manufacturing flaw that crosses into the unacceptable range. Hence my consulting those with Japanese pen experience here on the forum.

How do threads get cut when pens are “handmade”? Are there particular tools?

Wabi-sabi is the result of luck and chance that producing a surprising and pleasing result. So, for instance, in Japanese pottery the uneven accumulation of ash into a glaze or the flare of a heat flame can be unwanted but sometimes produce a very beautiful pot, purely accidentally. A pot that has an air trap and which shatters is not a wabi-sabi pot, its just broken.

Wabi-sabi is the result of luck and chance that producing a surprising and pleasing result. So, for instance, in Japanese pottery the uneven accumulation of ash into a glaze or the flare of a heat flame can be unwanted but sometimes produce a very beautiful pot, purely accidentally. A pot that has an air trap and which shatters is not a wabi-sabi pot, its just broken.

I will try to look at mine to compare.

In the past I used the local Pilot service and they sent the pen to Japan for me. I just paid to ship it to them for evaluation. I would think Pilot in AU would do the same for you.

You are allowed to be picky if you like! :)

Seems these would not hamper function. Have you tried to use the pen? If you plan to send it in, better make sure there are no other issues.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You are in for a treat my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F12qUyIACM

I'll check out the video. Thanks.

Thanks. The thread irregularity isn't beautiful to me, but maybe it is to some? I admire your bravery in defining wabi sabi ;-)

I will try to look at mine to compare.

In the past I used the local Pilot service and they sent the pen to Japan for me. I just paid to ship it to them for evaluation. I would think Pilot in AU would do the same for you.

You are allowed to be picky if you like! :)

Seems these would not hamper function. Have you tried to use the pen? If you plan to send it in, better make sure there are no other issues.

zaddick has replied to my thread! I'll see what Pilot AUS thinks. If they do advocate getting it sent to Japan, should I ask the seller to help chip in to cover postage etc? Are these "issues" that should be noticed by the seller? Or should I specifically ask such questions? Thanks for the advice regarding finding any other problems before shipping it away... I haven't used the pen. I've only done the initial inspection. Didn't want to muddy (inky?) the waters. Thanks.

I think that's fine...

1. you really don't see that section normally

2. The very end section of a thread barely serves any purpose.

2. That's pretty much the nature of Ebonite when you cut it. the rubber won't end in a aboslutely flat surface... especially when you zoom into such a small cutting area.

I think that's fine...

1. you really don't see that section normally

2. The very end section of a thread barely serves any purpose.

2. That's pretty much the nature of Ebonite when you cut it. the rubber won't end in a aboslutely flat surface... especially when you zoom into such a small cutting area.

1. Agreed that section is pretty hard to see when you back the blind cap off to allow ink flow.

2. Agreed that the irregularity doesn't affect screwing the blind cap down.

3. How do they get the other parts of the thread to come out cleanly?

I've sent Pilot Australia some photos. I'll await their response with interest.

Hmmm good point, the othe parts is a lot smoother.

My guess is that groove being at the beginning point of the cut may have some affect on

the pressure of the blade, the flex of the blade (tip tend to flex a bit more) and the stability of the blade. ( rest of the cutting edge can follow established groove vs cutting new groves)

Just my guess though.

Edited by Innosint

I only paid postage in the US. PILOT USA shipped it to Japan and then back to me after it returned.

Should the seller have noticed? Depends how much they go over a pen before selling. Some people notice issues like ypurs, others do not but it is not an indication of deception. I assume a seller on FPN would be open to a resolution. Most folks are not here to scam others.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Opinion.

1. This is normal for urushi. As a high viscosity liquid it tends to bunch up at fine serrations and corners on the feed. I suppose if the mix was better, time of the day, time of the year, quality of the urushi better, etc. sharper and flatter application could be made. Frankly, I've seen this on hundreds of vintage pens where urushi has been applied to feeds. Don't sweat it.

2. Serrations, chips, or whatever you wish to call it may be normal. Does it affect the function of the pen? No? Does it look bad to the normal viewer? No. Etc. It may be part of the machining process. May not.

Bottom line. If it really bothers you go back to the seller and tell them the pen is flawed. If you cannot do that, try Pilot. See what they say.

Now here's a test. Try this out. Look inside the barrel and cap. Does anything look irregular? If this is a zillion dollar pen, I'd write a letter to Pilot darn quick.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

The blistering that you mentioned is normal. Mine has that too since I use it a lot.

As for the warranty, Namiki pens come with lifetime warranty but only for the original owner. Since you are second owner, the pen is not covered by warranty anymore.