Any other "Laureat" lovers out there?

J English Smith

Thanks, sorry to spoil all the love, I have reseated the nib and feed, to no avail, it's a pity since it's such a smooth writer (see, not all is negative), I don't understand how a faulty converter can cause this but I'll give it a try as soon as I can get my hands on one... The gold is quite gone too.

When you suck ink into the converter by pulling the piston back up into the converter as you turn the knob, there is a vacuum that holds the ink in the converter as long as the seal holds. If the seal fails, the vacuum is lost and the ink flows out.

I would think there might be others who share your feelings, because nibs corrode, converters fail, and the pen feels a bit awkward sometimes with the cap posted. So, you could garner some support in a separate thread.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• georges zaslavsky

• J English Smith

• Left FPN

Yes, in my experience you can use either the converter or the long cartridges. But the converter obviously allows for more freedom to use any bottled ink from any manufacturer which is, of course, half the fun of writing with a fountain pen!

I have exactly the same coloration on mine - purchased new in 1994. It still looks gorgeous and writes beautifully.

I have exactly the same coloration on mine - purchased new in 1994. It still looks gorgeous and writes beautifully.

This pen, black with red rings, with its nice fine nib, is becoming my favorite Laureat.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

From the then 1988 catalogue, Red Marble...but in another catelogue Red Tortoiseshell.

fpn_1408338068__1988_0005.jpg

Edited by Force

Thanks, Force. That's a beautiful catalogue picture, and that's the pen I have.

Yes, the Laureat should take long cartridges. My Laureats do, although I think a converter is better as a "true" pen lover likes to dip his nib in a new ink rather than rely on the rather "clinical" plastic containers that cartridges represent!

My wife got me one as my first Waterman.

I did not know the model until seeing it on the web.

The size fits my hand just right. It is a little heavy, but OK.

I like it enough to have gotten 2 more.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks, sorry to spoil all the love, I have reseated the nib and feed, to no avail, it's a pity since it's such a smooth writer (see, not all is negative), I don't understand how a faulty converter can cause this but I'll give it a try as soon as I can get my hands on one... The gold is quite gone too.

A standard test to see if you have a bad converter is to use a new cartridge.

If the pen behaves, then the converter is/has gone bad.

If the pen is still misbehaving, then the problem is with the feed/nib/section or the ink.

Also try switching to a dryer ink, like Pelikan.

I had a Parker that would drool ink, even after a trip back to Parker for repair. As soon as I switched from Parker Quink to Pelikan ink, no more drooling.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

When Diamine green black was too wet in one of these pens I used Sheaffer's blue black.

Converters last about 10 years and then you need a new one, because the piston seal wears, permitting a loss of vacuum. With the sac type converters, the sac might fail in five to ten years. In either case, a change of ink probably won't help.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

It was one of waterman's best made pens back in the day, now Waterman can't just seem to make pens like it

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 8 months later...

Hello to all the Laureat lovers out there, you can count me in.

I have 5 Laureat funtain pens (all medium nib) and a roller in different colours.

Writing with them is real pleasure and the design still looks and feels very classic and luxurious and much much better, than a lot of modern pens.

Eeven though it was never on top of the Waterman product scale, it remains(at least for me) the most beautfiful Waterman pen ever made.

I have eight Laureats, mainly with fine or extra fine nibs, but a couple of mediums and one broad. I like the Laureat IIs best. I like the different styling.

I have I think 7 Type I Laureats including a FP/RB set. Honestly, I prefer the thickness and feel of almost any of my other Watermans (Expert I and II, Phileas, Executive, CF FP/BP set). It is better than my CF FP. it's a bit on the small side for my taste, and I'm finding that they require use about every 2-3 days or they become very hard to start. The Fine nibs are quite nice and not scratchy, but the worst culprits for hard starting if left sit for a few days. They are a pretty pen (I especially like my gunmetal), with nice heft, but I confess when I want to write more than a short color-coded todo list, I reach for a Phileas or Expert. Still I use them frequently as I use the entire line of Waterman inks to color code my todo lists. They are nice pens especially for the price.

I have I think 7 Type I Laureats including a FP/RB set. Honestly, I prefer the thickness and feel of almost any of my other Watermans (Expert I and II, Phileas, Executive, CF FP/BP set). It is better than my CF FP. it's a bit on the small side for my taste, and I'm finding that they require use about every 2-3 days or they become very hard to start. The Fine nibs are quite nice and not scratchy, but the worst culprits for hard starting if left sit for a few days. They are a pretty pen (I especially like my gunmetal), with nice heft, but I confess when I want to write more than a short color-coded todo list, I reach for a Phileas or Expert. Still I use them frequently as I use the entire line of Waterman inks to color code my todo lists. They are nice pens especially for the price.

I have found that what you wrote is quite accurate. When I start using one of the Laureats, I use it a bit every day until the ink runs out. Otherwise I have to wet it under the tap to get it to start. I find most C/C pens are like this.

I have found that what you wrote is quite accurate. When I start using one of the Laureats, I use it a bit every day until the ink runs out. Otherwise I have to wet it under the tap to get it to start. I find most C/C pens are like this.

Among my Watermans, the Expert and Phileas (and the Executive as well) are always ready to write, even after sitting for a week or three. Even the CF takes only a few swipes. Only the Laureats are hard starters for me, fine nibs more so. All my pens are stored nib up when not in use. The differing experiences with the same pens are interesting.

I end up wetting Carene and Phileas nibs to get them to start also, except for the Carene I turned into a desk pen by putting it into the desk base of a Sheaffer Imperial desk pen. Maybe gravity and a good seal keep this one moist. I have used Expert II two tone EF nibs in a couple of Laureats, with slightly better results: I don't have to wet these two under the tap, I just touch the pen point to my tongue and it restarts. That's a little more convenient on the go.

I like the look of the Laureat. It's different from most pens.

• 1 year later...

I have four: a) two have square clips with a letter W logo, flattops, and a Waterman emblem on the bottom and B) two have rounded clips with the W in a hexagon(?) logo and a more slightly crowned top with nothing on the bottom. What's the difference? I'm thinking of collecting them by color unless one is more costly than another.