Any other "Laureat" lovers out there?

J English Smith

Guess what :clap1: I really like my Laureats. :roflmho: They write nice and wet, they are not too expensive but look elegant and rich and they come in many pretty dresses.

My lucky find is a silver Laureat type I with gold trimmings.

" Go with the inkflow, my friend "

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• georges zaslavsky

• J English Smith

• Left FPN

I have a bronze marble Laureat F nib, and it's one of my favourite pens. The F nib is finer than that of my Exclusive and Perspective and still pretty smooth. I doubted between a F and a EF, but this nib is already so fine that the F turned out to be perfect.

Definetly going to buy another one, however there are so many pens I still want that it may take some time..

My Blog Recently updated with first impression of the Waterman Carène / Sailor 1911 Standard

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• 11 months later...

Nobody's posted to this for 5 years! But anyway, I've had a green marble Laureat for more than 20 years, and I love it. Writes as smooth as anything, feels good in the hand, dependable, looks nice, posts nice, well balanced. Recently bought a Cross Townsend, and OK, I should wait until its worn in a bit, but its nowhere near as nice to write with as the Laureat. Glad to know there are some other fans out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am a Laureat lover. I've been writing with a marbled red, fine nib for a while, and just acquired a marbled blue in medium. Both are lovely reliable writers, but I think I prefer the fine nib, just because of my handwriting style.

I'm turning into a bit of a Waterman obsessive, and would love to continue my 'collection' of these models. I hadn't actually realised there was a Laureat 1 and 2, so I'll need to research what I've actually got. :thumbup:

I too am a Laureat lover. I've been writing with a marbled red, fine nib for a while, and just acquired a marbled blue in medium. Both are lovely reliable writers, but I think I prefer the fine nib, just because of my handwriting style.

I'm turning into a bit of a Waterman obsessive, and would love to continue my 'collection' of these models. I hadn't actually realised there was a Laureat 1 and 2, so I'll need to research what I've actually got. :thumbup:

Look at the clip, where it enters the cap. If it is sharp to the feel, it's a series 1, if it is smooth and rounded it's a series 2.

:o

Interesting. My old Laureat was a TERRIBLE writer. Maybe I didn't know what I was doing?

Anyway, I note that Vacumaniac has a tortoise-shell Laureat for sale now. Pen number 1825 on <a href="http://www.(bleep).com/websitesales/newpens.htm" target="_blank">http://www.(bleep).com/websitesales/newpens.htm</a> . I'm not tempted, given that I suspect I have exactly that pen lying about in some drawer somewhere. Very skinny body. Converter-cartridge filler.

Yikes! I wasn't familar with that web site. I can't believe the quality of the pictures. He must have a light box or something. I'm going to have to

figure out how to take such great pictures. I guess I'm a little jealous.

I have been cycling through all of my FPs the last couple of weeks. Buying a new one always makes me want to fire them all up.

One that I really enjoy using is my mid-80s Laureat (flat clip style, medium nib). Great heft, very smooth writing for a steel nib (I think this just is a gold electroplate on the nib), always starts clean, posts very smoothly and with minimal scratching, very comfortable to hold because of the ribbed grip. I have used this one on and off for twenty years but it still looks new. (I bought for $20 from an art director at my firm who did not use fountain pens, I think it always listed for around $40. I feel that it's a superior pen compared to the Phileas, at least from a standpoint of hand-feel and heft (and I do prefer the look).

Mine is a grey marbled finish which is very classic and yet warm. I just bought a Waterman converter so I will venture out from Waterman cartridges soon and try some other colors in it (though I do love the Waterman purple ink I have in it at present).

Any other Laureat-lovers out there in the Waterman world?? Stand up and cheer! For a small investment...a great and very reliable pen!

At one time I had a lot of Laureat's and decided to thin out my collection. I was contacted by someone asking me if I had part for

a Laureat because Waterman didn't stock parts for them any more. They still had the original box and receipt and that said it was a Laureat.

I found one like it in my collection. It had a different cap and base and was a little thinner if I remember correctly. Is this the Type I and II people are

talking about or a very early version or Prototype?

From what I remember, it did have a flat top and wasn't especially pretty. Speaking of colors, I really liked the shadowed blue and shadowed red colors

of the Laureat.

Also, I was little surprised to hear people talk about the "heft" of this pen. Maybe I'm not sure of what they are referring to, but I

remember having that feeling using an Expert II. It always felt substantial in my hand.

post-67064-0-73362400-1361355767.jpg

post-67064-0-99914300-1361355794.jpg

Look at the clip, where it enters the cap. If it is sharp to the feel, it's a series 1, if it is smooth and rounded it's a series 2.

According to what you've said about the clip, I have series 2. I'll have to start looking out for series 2. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a blue one and a green one; the green one could be the best writing Waterman I've got (I have 12, two from the 1920's). The blue one is a terrible writer. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a two Laureats that are ballpoint and a rollerball. I'm curious as how they would feel in fountain pen as I've seen a few online for a good price.

Edited by Gryphon

§ "Explanations take such a dreadful time" §

• 1 month later...

I have added three years ago a whole colelction of new old stock laureat, will post the pic of the collection later

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/P9250029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/P9250030.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Another interesting point about the Laureat (which I have just discovered!) is that there is a size difference between the early Laureat rollerball pens and the later Mk II rollerballs.

The early rollerball pens are notably slimmer than the corresponding fountain pens of the same era whilst the Mk II rollerballs and fountain pens are the same size...

http://i43.tinypic.com/2wm4da9.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/9zxa47.jpg

• 3 months later...

I recently purchased a Laureat off the FPN classifieds to replace a one that I had lost a few years ago. this had been my first good pen, and I am amazed at just how well this pen writes each time I use it. I paid $20 for it used, it looks new, has a broad nib and could easily become my only pen if I was forced to live with just one. Lamy Safaris are my daily writers now, but the Laureat is a better pen and very much under appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a Laureat off the FPN classifieds to replace a one that I had lost a few years ago. this had been my first good pen, and I am amazed at just how well this pen writes each time I use it. I paid $20 for it used, it looks new, has a broad nib and could easily become my only pen if I was forced to live with just one. Lamy Safaris are my daily writers now, but the Laureat is a better pen and very much under appreciated.

In the 90's it was a huge success. Now Waterman makes poorly designed pens with nail nibs that are worth nothing

• 4 weeks later...

I now have about half a dozen Laureats, most in M and a couple in F. I just keep coming back to this pen, though it's harder to find them at a decent price than it used to be. They all write well, although on some there is a little pooling of ink on the nib -- maybe they just need a more thorough cleaning. I have large hands, and the Laureats don't feel too small to me as I guess they do to some others.

That's quite a collection you have, Georges. What is that simple but effective box you're using to store them in?

Even compared to today's Waterman offerings, the Laureat is better build and looks far far more elegant

• 5 months later...

My green marble Waterman Laureat was my first fountain pen. Bought it from Spag's in Shrewsbury, MA in 1995, to celebrate starting grad school. It was a revelation – taking notes became a sensual pleasure. That was the beginning of my addiction to fountain pens, ink, paper, etc...

A week ago, as I began the process of filling it (with green ink, of course), I discovered that the plastic part of the nib/grip that threads into the metal body had broken off. I tried many times, with many kinds of glue, to put the pieces back together, but no success.

The upshot is that I need a replacement Laureat nib/grip (Medium). Googling for it hasn't worked – anyone have a spare for sale?

Thanks –

My green marble Waterman Laureat was my first fountain pen. Bought it from Spag's in Shrewsbury, MA in 1995, to celebrate starting grad school. It was a revelation – taking notes became a sensual pleasure. That was the beginning of my addiction to fountain pens, ink, paper, etc...

A week ago, as I began the process of filling it (with green ink, of course), I discovered that the plastic part of the nib/grip that threads into the metal body had broken off. I tried many times, with many kinds of glue, to put the pieces back together, but no success.

The upshot is that I need a replacement Laureat nib/grip (Medium). Googling for it hasn't worked – anyone have a spare for sale?

Thanks –

Have you tried five-minute-to-set epoxy? You should give yourself that much working time, and an epoxy with a high strength ought to hold. This is what I use to adhere something that will have stress put on it.

I admired the Laureat for many years, but I never bought one, always too intent on something else. I recently tried a few Waterman pens, and they seem pretty good, with superior nibs. If they are really not what they once were, then I marvel at what they must have been.

I was hooked by a cheap, steel, thin Waterman that writes a superb extra fine. $12.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.