Leonardo Officina Italiana - Momento Zero

pomperopero

30 minutes ago, sansenri said:

I was wondering that too, and since my earliest buy was without the etching I initially wondered whether the etched nibs could be Jowo... but in fact my second buy with the etching dates October 2018, so that, I think, is still too early for the Jowo switch.

As I said, it's probably not indicative, and I am wondering whether there is a way to tell one nib from the other ( but if they are made by the same specs, probably not).

I cannot tell by the appearance. Only by feel, the Bock steel seems softer, and Jowo stiffer. But the Jowo nibs are more consistent, in their smoothness and ink flow. We may not be able to tell by their release date either. Leonardo may choose to use up some Bock nibs on some models while already starting to use Jowo nibs on other models. Without confirmation from Leonardo, it would be difficult to say.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• sansenri

• pomperopero

• dysmedia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The feeds on the steel JoWo and Bock steel nibs are different and easily distinguished. 

920876180_FeedsJoWovsBock.jpg.0295b088dcf418485540a827c3edc645.jpg

JoWo feed on top, Bock below. These feeds have not changed for as long as I have been collecting fountain pens. Note that Leonardo gold nibs have been using ebonite feeds made in-house for some time, and their configuration has not changed with the change in nib sources.

David

1 hour ago, dms525 said:

The feeds on the steel JoWo and Bock steel nibs are different and easily distinguished. 

920876180_FeedsJoWovsBock.jpg.0295b088dcf418485540a827c3edc645.jpg

JoWo feed on top, Bock below. These feeds have not changed for as long as I have been collecting fountain pens. Note that Leonardo gold nibs have been using ebonite feeds made in-house for some time, and their configuration has not changed with the change in nib sources.

David

Excellent, David. I had forgotten about that. Honestly I dislike the Bock feed. It's finicky and the nib slides around and doesn't settle easily. Much better when Leonardo uses ebonite feeds, which can be easily heat-set to better fit the nib. 

ah, thanks, David, that clarifies.

I've just checked the Furore Smeraldo (second picture) it's Bock.

The other two I have to dig out... (he goes to check the recent list he has made of where the pens are stored...!)

a short while later...

OK, both of them Bock feeds, so Bock nibs!

The question remains on the Furore Grande which has an ebonite feed, but the nib is rather flexy, I would bet it's Bock.

34 minutes ago, sansenri said:

ah, thanks, David, that clarifies.

I've just checked the Furore Smeraldo (second picture) it's Bock.

The other two I have to dig out... (he goes to check the recent list he has made of where the pens are stored...!)

a short while later...

OK, both of them Bock feeds, so Bock nibs!

The question remains on the Furore Grande which has an ebonite feed, but the nib is rather flexy, I would bet it's Bock.

You are almost certainly correct. Leonardo switched to JoWo nibs in January, 2021. The first Furore Grandes were released in October, 2020 (if not September). Now, I do not know if Leonardo is still making Furore Grandes and is fitting current production with JoWo nibs. I'm sure you could find out by asking Salvatore, if you needed to know.

David

ok thanks, in case I will ask before next purchase

has there been any talk of the  #8 nibs (I believe Bock) and on which pens they will go? (perhaps I've missed the right thread)

21 minutes ago, sansenri said:

ok thanks, in case I will ask before next purchase

has there been any talk of the  #8 nibs (I believe Bock) and on which pens they will go? (perhaps I've missed the right thread)

The #8 nibs are available on SOME of the MZ Grandes only, at this time.

David

17 minutes ago, sansenri said:

yes, I'm curious on which... I have seen it on Blu Marina, Girasole and Dark Hawaii so far...

any others?

Also on the Fiordacqua and the 4 colors from the new Ebonite Musis Limited Edition

Hello. Last week I received my first Leonardo, a Momento Zero Blue Hawaii with a stub steel nib (as per explanations above by others, it appears to be Bock). I dip-tested it and liked how it writes. However, I felt something rough on the inside of the cap and it appears to have some kind of peel off (see picture). Would that be something to be concerned about? Thanks.

08066937-DE3C-471F-B2B8-A59E651AF947.jpeg

I've got some growth on a Momento Zero with a gold nib.  It's a screw in unit, and came out easily.  Upon removal of the nib unit, a black rubbery bit came out with it.  It's not an O-ring, it could be a thread sealer maybe but i've never seen this before if it is.  Anybody have any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen any mention of the LMZ Grande Pura pens on FPN as yet. I ordered one in Blue, and I think it is beautiful. The matte finish feels nice in the hand, and the steel JoWo Stub writes nicely. It is a piston filler. The Gray Pura is tempting too.

915546169_LMZPura1.jpg.27b8542334d3c32170803330d3fa5e2f.jpg

1414702896_LMZPuranib.jpg.63629a20536587925714a1d07b2be0ea.jpg

1769081904_LMZPura2.jpg.1175b75d5a3cfbf182dcbf1b6d406768.jpg

David

On 3/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, dms525 said:

I haven't seen any mention of the LMZ Grande Pura pens on FPN as yet. I ordered one in Blue, and I think it is beautiful. The matte finish feels nice in the hand, and the steel JoWo Stub writes nicely. It is a piston filler. The Gray Pura is tempting too.

Looks like a nice pen. I'm still waiting for PenChalet to ship my pre-order. I got the blue with the Ruthenium trim.... It's strange it's said order complete since the 15th but waiting on shipping.... 

1 hour ago, Driften said:

Looks like a nice pen. I'm still waiting for PenChalet to ship my pre-order. I got the blue with the Ruthenium trim.... It's strange it's said order complete since the 15th but waiting on shipping.... 

Shipping is unpredictably unreliable of late. I had an order - not pen-related - coming from the East coast to CA that wandered around the mid-West and sat for a several days in the courier's station in MO before arriving about 4 days later than expected. Several vendors announce an order has shipped when they print the shipping label. That might occur several days before the shipper has possession of the merchandise. 

I think our expectations have been skewed by technological advances like online shipment tracking. Hooray for progress!

I hope your pen arrives soon. It's a beauty and writes as nicely as it looks.

David

On 3/1/2021 at 1:11 PM, Violet.Ink said:

Hello. Last week I received my first Leonardo, a Momento Zero Blue Hawaii with a stub steel nib (as per explanations above by others, it appears to be Bock). I dip-tested it and liked how it writes. However, I felt something rough on the inside of the cap and it appears to have some kind of peel off (see picture). Would that be something to be concerned about? Thanks.

08066937-DE3C-471F-B2B8-A59E651AF947.jpeg

My Furore Grande peeled between the cap rings - started small but soon spread. I sent it back for fixing which they did and no issues since. They turned it around really quickly too - customer service is excellent...

• 9 months later...

I've just ordered a Leonardo Momento Zero in mango, with a Fine steel nib (JoWo).  I'm now wondering whether I ordered the right nib.  My ideal line width is the Fine nib on the Lamy Safari.  I could go narrower than that, but I'd rather not have anything wider.  Can anyone here tell me how the JoWo Fine compares? Should I get an EF?

Tangentially, what ink will match the mango resin? I'm thinking Pelikan Brilliant Brown.  Alternately Diamine Blood Red (which is probably too red, but might look nice.)

Congtatulations! The Mango is an unusual and attractive material.

The JoWo Fine nib is a European Fine. It is similar to a Pelikan Fine, for example. JoWo steel nibs tend to be rather nail-like.

If you want a color match, look for a brownish-orange ink. The "Monarch" ink that KWZ made exclusively for Fontoplumo is a good match. The Sailor Ink Studio 873 looks like a possible match. Pelikan Brilliant Brown is more brown, less orange. Leonardo Noce Moscato is more red, but is a lovely color.

Unfortunately for you, the best matching inks in my collection are Ink !7 (made for the Philadelphia pen show in 2017 by Franklin-Christoph) and Sazerac, made by Papier Plume in New Orleans, LA/USA.

See if Frank has KWZ Monarch in stock. It's a nice ink.

Happy writing!

David

1 hour ago, dms525 said:

Congtatulations! The Mango is an unusual and attractive material.

The JoWo Fine nib is a European Fine. It is similar to a Pelikan Fine, for example. JoWo steel nibs tend to be rather nail-like.

If you want a color match, look for a brownish-orange ink. The "Monarch" ink that KWZ made exclusively for Fontoplumo is a good match. The Sailor Ink Studio 873 looks like a possible match. Pelikan Brilliant Brown is more brown, less orange. Leonardo Noce Moscato is more red, but is a lovely color.

Unfortunately for you, the best matching inks in my collection are Ink !7 (made for the Philadelphia pen show in 2017 by Franklin-Christoph) and Sazerac, made by Papier Plume in New Orleans, LA/USA.

See if Frank has KWZ Monarch in stock. It's a nice ink.

Happy writing!

David

Oh man. Hard to resist an ink called Sazerac. My favorite cocktail, and (some say) the oldest cocktail recipe in America.  Although absolutely crucial in the choice of ink is that it not stain the resin.

I'm not familiar with Pelikan nib sizes. Would you say that the Leonardo is the same as the Safari F?  Or maybe a Pilot FM?  I just don't want it to be as wide as, for instance, my supposedly Fine Parker M51s.  (Which aren't quite Medium, but thicker than the Lamy.)

Edited by dysmedia

8 minutes ago, dysmedia said:

I'm not familiar with Pelikan nib sizes. Would you say that…

No.

Also: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/gallery/image/6546-matching-inks-to-pelikan-classic-m20x-pens/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

13 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Ah, sorry. I wasn't asking about the Pelikan, but the Leonardo.  I'm trying to find some way of figuring out what I've just ordered. (Edited to clarify.)

Edited by dysmedia