Ink Stains Vs. Granite Countertops - How To Remove?

strelnikoff

Pressure washing will ensure that all future stains of any form will be taken up more quickly and deeply. Don't do that, although the sight of someone wielding a pressure washer in an apartment could be worth a video. :D

I just got this picture in my mind of someone in a small room using a pressure washer. Standing on a step ladder to get high enough to direct the jet down onto a counter top :yikes:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strelnikoff

• ParkerDuofold

• Chrissy

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alcohol based hand sanitizer should do it. It is non abrasive and it shouldn't damage the granite. You will need to use something soft and absorbent to clean it off with. I use a clean "burp" cloth. If you don't have access to one of them, try an old cloth (cotton) diaper. What you are looking for in a cloth is soft clean cotton, thick enough to be absorbent, with large threads and a low thread count. The cloth will be stained once you use it. It's the kind of material frequently used to dry a pen after one rinses it following polishing. Some people also use this type of cloth to wipe ink off nibs rather than using disposable paper towels.

Thanks! I'll try that too. Bleach is not working, haven't tried hydrogen peroxide yet, nor the alcohol based fluids.

Pressure cleaning might push the pigments further into the pores.

Indeed. I will not try that. I'm already concerned about weak solvents - I need something that will either "kill" the pigment, or loosen up the ink so it can get sucked up... this one is going to be tricky. I'll share with everyone what worked - if anything works at all.

I just got this picture in my mind of someone in a small room using a pressure washer. Standing on a step ladder to get high enough to direct the jet down onto a counter top :yikes:

Yeah, and dancing & singing "Hey Macarena !" ... fat chance for this path to celebrity status :lol:

Pressure washing will ensure that all future stains of any form will be taken up more quickly and deeply. Don't do that, although the sight of someone wielding a pressure washer in an apartment could be worth a video. :D

Two things must coincide at the same time and at the same location (in the room):

1. Bottle of Scotch

2. Pressure washer and ladder...

ah yes - and an encouraging eyewitness with a camera...

I'm missing one pressure washer :D

After reading through this entire thread, my advice is to get a potted herb garden to sit over the stain and call it a day. :thumbup:

Be well... and in the words of the Immortal Scoob... rots a ruck. :)

- Anthony

After reading through this entire thread, my advice is to get a potted herb garden to sit over the stain and call it a day. :thumbup:

Be well... and in the words of the Immortal Scoob... rots a ruck. :)

- Anthony

One day he was found looking at the pile of rubble. A friend asked "Why did you tore down your house?" ...

"I had some ink stains on my granite countertop... "

Failing all else, choose inks similar in color to the natural flecks in the granite, and ink over the more noticeable Yama Budo and Ku Jaku.

Two things must coincide at the same time and at the same location (in the room):

1. Bottle of Scotch

2. Pressure washer and ladder...

ah yes - and an encouraging eyewitness with a camera...

I'm missing one pressure washer :D

I wish I lived in Texas......

I wish I lived in Texas......

There must be some whiskey in Wales... :) or in England... have they ran out? Welcome to Texas!

Failing all else, choose inks similar in color to the natural flecks in the granite, and ink over the more noticeable Yama Budo and Ku Jaku.

That is actually a good idea :) chose ink color according to the furniture :))

Ok, short update...

The good news is - hydrogen peroxide - works!

The so-so news is - it will take me forever to get rid of the stains.

HP dissolves the ink, but very small amount which they I have to pick up with cotton ... what's the word... pad? or q-tip ... and the ink is fairly concentrated so it will take some effort and persistence.

I've looked on several sites so far and all of them recommend HP for ink stains. Looks like the internet isn't always wrong. :happy:

I chose an okite countertop... I know I would have stained granite.

seriously though, try a mix of sodium bicarbonate powder with a small amount of water, make a paste and rub it on the top

not granted it will clean the absorbed stains, but should not ruin the granite either, it is mostly used to clean oil stains

There must be some whiskey in Wales... :) or in England... have they ran out? Welcome to Texas!

It wasn't the whisky (Scottish spelling) or whiskey (Irish spelling) that I was interested in. I wanted to be the person with the camera when the jet washing started.. :D

you can also mix sodium bicarbonate with hydrogen peroxide instead of water to make the paste

one site I looked up actually mentions that you can get rid of ink stains from granite using hydrogen peroxide 35%, use gloves, wash, repeat until clean

I am not taking responsibility for suggesting this though, but it might be worth looking up further use of hydrogen peroxide or asking further recommendation on how to do this from experts in these materials

I love all the disclaimers in this thread.

Translation: "Since you're asking, I'll give you my unprofessional and often uninformed and not-legally-liable advice: hit it with a blowtorch while lit (you, on booze) on a ladder and film it for us to laugh at." Gotta love the internet.

Hey, there has to be entertainment. So now we have a pressure washer AND a blowtorch, on a ladder in an apartment, with a camera in the other hand and a drip feed from a whisk[e]y bottle taped on top of your head. The never-ending three word story has nothing on this.

I notice nobody has been so impolite as to ask, why the furry ferret were you playing with ink over a granite bench anyway?

:)

Edited by praxim

X

Hi Strelnikoff,

Why not try HP in a pressure washer?

I can loan you the p.w. :D

- Anthony