Ink Stains Vs. Granite Countertops - How To Remove?

strelnikoff

Hello fellow ink users,

I don't know where this question fits, so I presume that best bet is "ink" department/forum.

Before I go and start looking at youtube videos - I should ask here, where there must be many people who experienced similar problem.

In the excitement while inking a new pen, few drops of Iroshizuku Yama Budo and few drops of Ku Jaku - ended up on my kitchen granite countertop. Few drops I managed to clean with water quickly, but few I've noticed to late.

Now I have several colorful spots and I cannot remove them. The ink (it seems) seeped into the granite pores.

Any tips on how to clean this? Short of - replacing the granite countertop.

Thank you !!!!

(below is the photo)

post-136832-0-66290900-1520747168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Strelnikoff

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strelnikoff

• ParkerDuofold

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

Bleach will remove even Bay State Blue stains, BUT might also discolor your granite.

Perhaps try a small anmount of bleach on a cue tip on one of the small spots.

BUT AGAIN, you may want to check with your counter top supplier or other expert about bleach and granite before applying.

I accept no liability for this suggestion.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

...It might be a good idea to contact the surface's manufacturer. Ask the installer for contact info, if need be...

+1.

Ask the installer and manufacturer for instructions. Stay clear of YouTube because you have no way of knowing if your granite will respond the same as theirs.

It's a natural product... and so it will have some uniqueness from the rest... go to the source. ;)

- Anthony

EDITED to remove doubled word.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Thank you everyone! I'll do as suggested! and I'll post the photo - after the "treatment" is done :)

Granite can take a lot you throw at it. To be sure avoid acidic and abrasive cleaners. Everything else should be laughable to granite.

As the ink stains are most likely organic hydrogen peroxide could help here.

The other issue of course besides the granite itself is what the installer used as a sealant.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The other issue of course besides the granite itself is what the installer used as a sealant.

Well, it seems sealant wasn't that good. It seeped into the pores (looks like it).

Granite can take a lot you throw at it. To be sure avoid acidic and abrasive cleaners. Everything else should be laughable to granite.

As the ink stains are most likely organic hydrogen peroxide could help here.

That is a good idea. I'll try that...

Or, you could deliberately splatter Yama-Budo over the rest of the countertop and make it all uniform.

Granite by its nature is somewhat porous, so you can expect ink to had seep in there. Seriously there is no way you can get them out short of a pressure steam blast, normal washing, wiping or anything akin won't get the stain off as the action cannot get over the top ( literally ) the bet you can do with simply cleaning, wiping s to get the surface area somewhat cleaned, at best it would not show but still there is likely a stain mark to be seen

Or, you could deliberately splatter Yama-Budo over the rest of the countertop and make it all uniform.

Like a character in cartoon Gustavus :) starts with touching his cufflinks with a bit of black paint - ends up covering entire city :)

I doubt my apartment complex management would see that in a positive (purple) view :))

Granite by its nature is somewhat porous, so you can expect ink to had seep in there. Seriously there is no way you can get them out short of a pressure steam blast, normal washing, wiping or anything akin won't get the stain off as the action cannot get over the top ( literally ) the bet you can do with simply cleaning, wiping s to get the surface area somewhat cleaned, at best it would not show but still there is likely a stain mark to be seen

I thought so... but pressure washing seems extreme in the kitchen. I'll try hydrogen peroxide... I've tried with bleach but it seems it's not working. There's no chemical which will turn purple into clear/invisible.

Pressure cleaning might push the pigments further into the pores.

Pressure washing will ensure that all future stains of any form will be taken up more quickly and deeply. Don't do that, although the sight of someone wielding a pressure washer in an apartment could be worth a video. :D

X

Like a character in cartoon Gustavus :) starts with touching his cufflinks with a bit of black paint - ends up covering entire city :)

I doubt my apartment complex management would see that in a positive (purple) view :))

Okay, the first mistake of the guy in the cartoon is to not use the proper tool for the job -- that paintbrush is way too large for that tiny line he's trying to. paint. The second? You wipe into the CENTER of spills to make them smaller, not outwards or back and forth making them larger....

Of course there's also the little matter of him running around the neighborhood without any pants on.... ;)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Alcohol based hand sanitizer should do it. It is non abrasive and it shouldn't damage the granite. You will need to use something soft and absorbent to clean it off with. I use a clean "burp" cloth. If you don't have access to one of them, try an old cloth (cotton) diaper. What you are looking for in a cloth is soft clean cotton, thick enough to be absorbent, with large threads and a low thread count. The cloth will be stained once you use it. It's the kind of material frequently used to dry a pen after one rinses it following polishing. Some people also use this type of cloth to wipe ink off nibs rather than using disposable paper towels.

Household ammonia will clear up ink stains but

I’m not sure of the effect on granite,

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.