Permanent Ink That Doesn't Clog Or Dry In The Pen?

kealani

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this.

Is there a permanent ink that does not clog or dry in the pen (nib?) if the pen is not used for a week or more?

And, a permanent ink that flows well, is "wet", and easy to clean out of the pen?

If I only use the pen several times a month for check writing, etc, is that enough?

I have several Pelicans, a Sailor 1911, and a couple cheapies.

Thanks so much for your help.

Newbie here.

Aloha :)

jim

Edited by AlohaJim

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tasmith

• truthpil

• kealani

• ParkerQuink

IMO, this is more about the pen. If the pen seals well, you shouldn't have a problem. If the pen allows evaporation, even the best ink could have a problem. Sailor Sei Boku in a well-sealing pen would probably fit your needs. My TWSBI Eco and Platinum 3776 are my two best "sealers". FWIW.

Have found that Rohrer & Klingner Dokumentus writes wet and doesn't dry out or clog the feed even after being unused for a while and cleans out easily. Have used it in my Montblanc 146 and Pelikan M200s.

https://www.rohrer-klingner.de/?page_id=722&lang=en

http://www.andersonpens.com/Rohrer-Klingner-Dokumentus-Dunkelblau-50ml-Bottle-p/rk41400050.htm

Edited by Tasmith

LizEF is right on about the Eco and 3776. Platinum says the 3776 Century pens can sit for two years withour drying out. That start at $150 in the US.

https://www.gouletpens.com/platinum-3776-century/c/278

Here is some more information for you.

Drying out when a pen is not in use is primarily a function of how well the pen's cap seals. Inks do vary in this respect, but that is more secondary. As to clogging, any ink dried in the feed will stop flow. Permanent inks are not necessarily more prone to clogging than non-permanent inks.

If a nib has dried out it is usually easy to get it started again. I often just rinse the nib in tap water, then wipe it off with a paper towel and the ink starts flowing again. If it is really stubborn and you can remove the grip section from the pen, take out the cartridge or converter, you can flush the feed and nib with tap water using a bulb syringe. Then reassemble the pen.

https://www.gouletpens.com/goulet-bulb-syringe/p/GP-10001

I have used Noodler's Black for many years, and in my Vanishing Point the pen was not hard starting after two weeks of non use. This ink and other's designated "bulletproof" by Noodler's contains a dye that chemically bonds with the cellulose fibers in paper within a few hours after drying. These inks cannot be removed with solvents, soaps, water, bleach, nor any known method without destroying the paper. I find they are not difficult to clean out of my pens. By the way, Noodler's Black is Goulet Pens top selling ink of the 600 inks they sell. It is one of the best on low quality paper and very resistant to feathering and bleeding through cheap paper. For me it has been a wonderfully behaved ink in many of my 40+ pens, and I have never used it in a pen where it did not perform perfectly (except when the pen had a problem).

https://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-black-3oz-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/N19001

The $4 Platinum Preppy pen can go for months capped with no use without drying out. Preppy pens are not that rugged, though are very nice writing pens.

It uses Platinum cartridges, but I use an ink syringe to fill the cartridges with bottled ink. Platinum has a pigmented carbon ink that is waterproof and is available in cartridges for all Platinum cartridge pens.

https://www.gouletpens.com/platinum-preppy-fountain-pens/c/280

https://www.gouletpens.com/platinum-carbon-black-cartridges/p/Plat-SPC-200

https://www.gouletpens.com/goulet-5ml-ink-syringe-set/p/GP-10002

A TWSBI Eco will seal so the pen can set for months without drying out. It is a piston filling pen that holds a lot of ink, has an inner cap that seals the nib and the cap seals to the barrel with an O-ring making it doubly air tight ($29).

https://www.gouletpens.com/twsbi-eco/c/364

The Platinum Balance and Cool pens seal very well ($38). Balance pens are opaque, the Cool pens are transparent.

https://www.gouletpens.com/platinum-balance/c/272

The Platinum Plaisir ($18) uses the Preppy nib/feed/grip section but is armored with an aluminum barrel and cap so it is a ruggedized Preppy. It seals just like the Preppy with an inner cap that can sit for months without drying out.

https://www.gouletpens.com/platinum-plaisir/c/281

You don't say what pens you have now. The vast majority of inks are not permanent. Historically there are inks that are labeled "Washable" and "Permanent" that DO NOT RELATE TO HOW THEY BEHAVE ON PAPER. Sheaffer inks so labeled in the past meant that the ink was washable or permanent when it got on clothing. I don't know if these terms are used today, but most inks today that are labeled "permanent" means they are waterproof. I have used a black ink that was labeled "Permanent" back in the late 90's that was washed away with water. I think it was Parker Quink, but may have been Sheaffer ink, I can't remember.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Thanks everyone for your kind help.

I have several Pelicans, a Sailor 1911, and a couple cheapies.

I wonder if pen's don't dry out if kept in a ziplock bag.

Is that a good idea. . then there's no difference in cap sealing. . ?

aloha

jim

I've never had a problem with my Pelikan M200s drying out.

When I used Montblanc Permanent Blue, it would dry out after a day or so in my MB 146 and Pilot Decimo but always work perfectly in the Pelikan M200s.

This drying out is why I switched to R&K Dokumentus for permanent ink.

Edited by Tasmith

I've been using IG inks by R&K (Salix) and KWZ (Blue #1) for some time now. Both have been trouble-free in all pens - but of course I wouldn't consider inking known troublemakers like the Pilot Caplesses (which I adore and use daily) with them.

+1 for Sei-Boku. If you'd rather have black then you might look into its sibling Kiwa-guro. These are both pigment inks, but are extremely easy to maintain. Sei-boku can stain converters, though, so be aware if that is an issue for you.

My favorite well-behaved cellulose reactive ink is Noodler's Lexington Grey. I have found it to be completely fuss-free. Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses is another nicely behaved ink. It is only partially waterproof, but will be plenty readable after a mishap.

Iron gall inks tend to feel much drier and need a wetter pen. If you have such a pen, R&K Scabiosa is a lovely waterproof dusty purple that will not cause trouble. It tends to look rather anemic in pens that don't put out a lot of ink, but is absolutely wonderful in a gusher.

None of my three Sailors have ever given me trouble with cap sealing. I don't own a Pelikan. You'll have to be careful with your cheepies, since some will seal fine and others won't. My suggestion would be to find inks that you like by experimenting with the Sailor and the Pelikan and then test them in the cheaper pens. That way you will know if it is the pen or the ink causing the problem.

Yet another Sarah.

Hi Jim,

I put my money on Monteverde Permanent Blue. It's a real nice blue-gray shade of blue; it performs reasonably well except that it will feather on course-grained papers.

But I keep it in a Jinhao, (which are known for drying out), and I've never had a problem... it's also easy to flush, too. :thumbup:

Be well... and I hope you find a permanent blue that really rings your chimes. :)

- Anthony

Noodler's 'bulletproof' inks. I use Noodler's black among others. I tried to defeat Noodler's Black with everything I could think of up to and including sodium hydroxide (NaOH) bleach, and the ink just laughed at those feeble attempts. This is not an iron gall ink, BTW.

I have picked up fairly well-sealing pens inked with it that hadn't been touched in months (e.g. Pilot Falcon, Delta Unica) :yikes: and simply started writing with them again (after a small restart routine).

EDIT: Oops I sorta duped Graystranger's advice.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

Though isn't declared as permanent Pilot/Namiki Blue-black is almost permanent yet well-behaved, quite easy to clean (except of a bit of staining which is also not difficult to clean), looks nice and is dirty cheap (particularly the 350ml bottle). It doesn't clog. I left in my Duofold Centennial for 3 weeks (those pens have a hole in their caps so they always dry out a bit), it started immediately, excellent flow, no clogging at all.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Noodler's Q'ternity. It will feather badly on cheap paper though. Flow is great and it has had no drying issues for me.

I recommend Platinum Blue-Black. It's very permanent on absorbent papers and cleans out really well. I've kept it in pens for months without any issues. If you combine it with a Platinum 3776 Century, then you'll have a pen that might not even dry out for a whole year!

Although Sei-Boku is perhaps my all-time favorite permanent ink, I have had problems with it staining converters and leaving some gunk between the nib and feed if kept in a pen for more than a week.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Pilot Blue Black seconded. One of my staple inks. Very well behaved.

Whatever you do : stay far far away from Diamine Registrar's. It will clog your pen and fuse the nib unit collar to the section.

-k

Pelikan 4001 blue black seems like it may fit the bill for this. While it is not available in the US, it is easily available overseas- I have ordered it shipped to me in the US from the UK with no issue.

I keep Sailor Sei Boku in two pens (one in my desk and one in my purse) at all times- I've had it in several pens with perfect behavior in all, though now I keep two pens dedicated to it. Even if I haven't used a pen in a week or two it hasn't clogged at all (CAVEAT this is not a dry-out prone pen.) It's been in constant rotation for probably 6 months now with no issues.

Went back to re-test Pilot Blue-Black and it's an absolute monster. It didn't fade or bleed the tiniest bit after a minute under running water.

Same for Sei-Boku.

Pilot Blue washed out a great deal, but remained readable.

Pilot Black also washed out to a mid-gray, but remained legible.

Went back to re-test Pilot Blue-Black and it's an absolute monster. It didn't fade or bleed the tiniest bit after a minute under running water.

Same for Sei-Boku.

Pilot Blue washed out a great deal, but remained readable.

Pilot Black also washed out to a mid-gray, but remained legible.

Yep, Pilot Blue-Black is highly underrated. Platinum Blue-Black is just as good, but shades better in dry pens and is a little brighter blue.

Also, I've found that in situations when Pilot BB has been too wet and feather, Platinum BB has worked fine.

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Well, any classically formulated Iron Gail ink is likely to be the best choice, they do not clog up like Carbon or Pigment do since they do not rely on solid particles and / resin to give their permanent property.