Waterman 52 Needs To Be Dipped Past Nib To Be Inked?

hailsham

Hello,

I just got my first flex pen: a Waterman 52 1/2V. I love writing with the flexible nib but I am having usage/maintenance issues (which is perhaps compounded by the 52 1/2V's small size!)

I have some questions that I would appreciate any help or thoughts on.

1) I have to dip my pen past the nib for and onto the body of the pen itself to suck the ink up properly. I will not be able to suck up any ink if I only dip the tip of the nib in. Is this normal? Can it be fixed?

2) Is there any way to see or know how full the pen is? I'm thinking about weighing it on a foodscale and I'm wondering if there's a different way.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• praxim

• hailsham

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

For point one, I immerse the entire nib inside - that should suffice. You dont need to immerse the section.

For point two, if your purpose practical or academic - for you want to know how much ink because you are not sure if its loading the expected amount or do you want to know precisely how many ml becae you want to know. The reason I ask is because the latter requires some specific equipment I believe - and the experts here will tell you about it.

Enjoy!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

With adequate scales measuring to tenths of a gram, weighing is a perfectly good method of determining total fill and current contents. Make a few dry measurements for your baseline.

eta: you have to dip the pen so ink meets the section else you will suck mostly air, not that those wonderful little pens hold much at the best of times.

Edited by praxim

X

From what I know, the only accurate way to tell capacity is by measuring uptake. So, I would use one of those little ink sample vials that have ml measurements at the side. I would pour some ink in, measure the ink volume in the vial, then load the pen up with ink, measure again, and the difference in ink remaining in the vial is your accurate ml.

Edited by siamackz

Specific gravities of ink and water are all but indistinguishable, so accurate weight works perfectly well to measure uptake, and to see how much is left.

X

Specific gravities of ink and water are all but indistinguishable, so accurate weight works perfectly well to measure uptake, and to see how much is left.

I would imagine that to be true. For me, a sensitive and accurate enough weighing scale would be harder to come by than the vial and so the latter would just be easier for me. But, I agree with your point.

I don't have any Waterman pens, but yes, generally you do have to make sure that the nib and feed are immersed -- and that generally means a little bit of the section as well. Even with modern pens.

I hesitated to use an ink sample I had been wanting to try because the pen I wanted to put it in -- a Pilot Decimo -- has a very long skinny nib, and I wasn't sure whether there would be enough of the sample to complete immerse the nib (there's a breather hole at the very end of the nib and feed where it attaches to the section of the nib assembly). Eventually I was able to fill the pen from the sample vial, by holding the vial at a very shallow angle, but it was a bit awkward.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't have any Waterman pens, but yes, generally you do have to make sure that the nib and feed are immersed -- and that generally means a little bit of the section as well. Even with modern pens.

I hesitated to use an ink sample I had been wanting to try because the pen I wanted to put it in -- a Pilot Decimo -- has a very long skinny nib, and I wasn't sure whether there would be enough of the sample to complete immerse the nib (there's a breather hole at the very end of the nib and feed where it attaches to the section of the nib assembly). Eventually I was able to fill the pen from the sample vial, by holding the vial at a very shallow angle, but it was a bit awkward.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

For point one, I immerse the entire nib inside - that should suffice. You dont need to immerse the section.

For point two, if your purpose practical or academic - for you want to know how much ink because you are not sure if its loading the expected amount or do you want to know precisely how many ml becae you want to know. The reason I ask is because the latter requires some specific equipment I believe - and the experts here will tell you about it.

Enjoy!

Hmmm, ok, I think I have it - I definitely do need to dip the entire nib in.

It's just hard to tell how much ink has gone in because the 52 1/2V is so small. I guess I'll have to weigh it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.