• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• tvradio

• Brandywine

• jobodine

I have exchanged Jinhao nibs for Bock nibs in Jinhao 250, 500, x450, x750 and 8802.

Sometimes the feeds are rather tight and need some "encouragement" to come out,

but they are alle friction fit and can be pulled.

The Bock nibs do not go in as easily as the Jinhao nibs, they may be thicker or wider

or the curve may be flatter or whatever. But they will go in.

The #5 nibs (250, 500 and 8802) perform wonderfully without problems.

The #6 nibs in the x750 and x450 write well, too, but they have problems with the ink flow.

I tried to push the nibs further in or align them to the feed repeatedly, but

somehow I can't get them to work properly.

They won't start without fuss and sometimes even dry out while writing.

(And YES; I DID flush them thoroughly!)

When I put back the Jinhao nibs, they are juicy writers and start well even after days of rest,

but as soon as I fix the Bock nib, they won't write.

The #6 nibs in the x750 and x450 write well, too, but they have problems with the ink flow.

I tried to push the nibs further in or align them to the feed repeatedly, but

somehow I can't get them to work properly.

They won't start without fuss and sometimes even dry out while writing.

(And YES; I DID flush them thoroughly!)

When I put back the Jinhao nibs, they are juicy writers and start well even after days of rest,

but as soon as I fix the Bock nib, they won't write.

Very interesting. I recently readjusted my Jowo B nib in my x750 - I found the nib surprisingly slippery against the feed, so it might have become misaligned, causing some dryness/wetness/dryness issues I'd been having. But after the readjustment I have found that the pen writes juicily again. Starts right up when it's been laying on the desk, but when grabbing it from a pen cup, nib-up, it takes around 15 seconds for it to be ready to write.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

Hi Brandywine. My understanging is that here is some slight difference between Bock and Jowo nib geometry. If that is indeed the case then there will be some difference in the relationship between the feed and the nib which may account for the difficulty you are having.

In the thread below 'lurcho' decribes how he replaced the Jinhao nib/feed housing with a Jowo housing. as described in the first thread below. This can also be done with Bock housing, which will also fit, as per the second thread below.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316312-how-i-replaced-a-jinhao-x750-feed-housing-with-a-jowo-housing/?hl=lurcho&do=findComment&comment=3748646

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302951-kaigelu-316-modification-250-6-bock-nib-beaufort-ink-converter/

I am in no way an expert in these matters, but have aquired what little info I know from this excellent forum and its'members, as well as from Brian Goulet, SBRE Brown, Matt Armstrong and others.

I have had a similar experience to yours with my Kaigelu 316. I read that it would take a Jowo nib no problem,and that was the case for me. So then I tried a Jowo and the ink flowed out like a river. Which lead me to the second thread above.

I also have Jowo nibs which work flawlessly on a 450 and a 750. I have a Nemosie 0.6 on a 750 which works just fine. I have read that Neomosine used Bock nibs.

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.

Hi Brandywine. My understanging is that here is some slight difference between Bock and Jowo nib geometry. If that is indeed the case then there will be some difference in the relationship between the feed and the nib which may account for the difficulty you are having.

In the thread below 'lurcho' decribes how he replaced the Jinhao nib/feed housing with a Jowo housing. as described in the first thread below. This can also be done with Bock housing, which will also fit, as per the second thread below.

Maybe JoWo nibs are different, I wanted to get some to try them, :puddle:

but amazingly enough, JoWo nibs are not available for end users in Germany! :headsmack: .

I could order them from the usual suspects in Spain, UK or USA,

but the shipping costs are amazing and I just refuse to pay shipping from abroad

to re-import a product made in Germany! :wallbash:

My first Jinhao pens were 250; there the nib housing either came out on its own

or could be pushed out easily.

There I replaced it with Bock housings that fitted even better than the Jinhao ones.

But I don't like the geometry of the 250 and its grip section is too thin and slippery for my taste.

So I tried x750 and x450 and 500 and 8802.

There I tried to push out the housing as well, but that did not come out that easily.

I stopped trying before doing any damage, so someone less fussy than me may succeed. ;)

The 500 and 8802 do wonderfully with their Bock replacement nibs,

they are a bit harder to push in than Jinhao nibs, but they do well.

And surprise, surprise:

Yesterday evening I took my x750 that has been lying for two days and it started at once;

this morning the same: no problems! With Pelikan Blue-Black ink! Nothing changed!

As if it had heard me complain and wanted to teach me a lesson! :unsure:

I might switch back the Bock nib into the x450 again to give it one more chance ....

Edited by Brandywine

• 3 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting, but wanted to add clarification for other people searching. My Jinhao 992 fits an FPR #5.5, newer Kaweco Sport nib, and should be fine with a German #5. Flatten the base of the nib if it's loose going in.