Lamy 2000 Vs. Pelikan M200

Martolod

Hi,

They're both very different pens aside from the fact that they are both German piston-filled pens.

Pelikan likes to use bonded parts and the piston mechanism is a snap-in part. Oftentimes when the piston is pushed out, it may not be able to snap in securely after that. The grip section is bonded on the barrel, possibly chemically. In some pens the piston mechanism does come loose, but it is not common.

The Lamy comes apart without any real snap-in parts. It's a very efficient design that mostly screws together. Even the cap comes apart this way. It's one of the few modern piston filled pens that doesn't have a screw-in, snap-in, or friction-fit casing that holds the piston mechanism parts.

In any case, you should not have to really service the piston. Both pens use urethane pistons that don't necessarily go bad. Lubrication can be done without ever taking the piston mechanisms out of the pen.

Another important difference is that you can easily get replacement nibs for the Pelikan. For the Lamy you have to send the pen to Lamy to get the nib replaced. I also don't recommend unscrewing the grip section of the 2000 unless you absolutely have to. In some of the earlier models that had the grip sections with a full metal liner with a black Makrolon accent, the metal grip section threads could chew up the threads on the mouth of the barrel. I saw at least two earlier pens where the owners had unscrewed the grip sections often enough that they completely stripped the threads off the barrel.

Makrolon is also a tougher material than the plastic Pelikan uses. I wouldn't recommend dropping either pen, but I have had to send a few Pelikan pens out for warranty repair because of cracking since someone dropped their pen or their pen fell. I do like the lightness of the plastic construction of the Pelikan. The Lamy, ever since the full metal grip section with the Makrolon accent has a bit more weight, and the balance is more nose-heavy than the original with the Makrolon grip and metal accent. I like the way both versions balance, but they are different.

Finally, the Lamy has solid stainless steel trim without plating. You do not have to worry about the plating getting damaged or wearing off. Overall fit and finish on the Lamy 2000 is more similar to that on the M400 and better than the M200.

If you are looking for something modern-looking and durable, I would get the Lamy 2000. If you want something that looks more traditional in look and feel that's lighter, I would get the Pelikan M2xx. They are both excellent pens with different pros and cons. Get what you like and enjoy.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• AL01

• jmnav

• Martolod

Top Posters In This Topic

Than you OP for starting this threat. Very educational.

I have been drawn to both of these pens, but as I live in the middle of nowhere and rarely get to a major metropolis, I have no opportunity to try before I buy. Occasional I get on a plane and fly to somewhere that is nowhere-er than my residence. I prefer quiet.

Anyway. I've learned that I'll not be purchasing an L2000, as Lamy denies me freedom to freely change nibs. I've learned that P M200 nibs are very similar to older nibs in character and line. I've learned that P M400 are finer in feel and finish.

So when/if the time comes I'll purchase a lovely black P M405 (even though there was a time when I dressed like Mr Stresemann) and fit it with a P M205 nib.

Thanks to all participants for your insights!

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have both, though the Pelikan is the M400 version, but as others have noted, same size as the M200.

If I had to give one back or away, it would be the Lamy 2000. I can write with it, but the nib looks like it should be a stub (oh if only it were) but is the broad nib I bought.

Happily I do not have to give the Lamy 2000 away. So some day I might find the ideal ink for it.

Posted Image

I personally don't see how these two pens can be compared apart from being German and piston-filled.

For a start, M200 writes alot better than Lamy2000. There isn't much contest here. As for design/colour/aesthetics, to each his own. Lamy2000 has a tiny 14k gold nib and m200 is one of the best stainless steel and easily swappable for any nib width and takes ancient pelikan nibs too. In fact, one should not sing anymore praise of Pelikan, else, prices might increase - again.

With this in mind, get the Lamy2000, its a good pen.

I personally don't see how these two pens can be compared apart from being German and piston-filled.

For a start, M200 writes alot better than Lamy2000. There isn't much contest here. As for design/colour/aesthetics, to each his own. Lamy2000 has a tiny 14k gold nib and m200 is one of the best stainless steel and easily swappable for any nib width and takes ancient pelikan nibs too. In fact, one should not sing anymore praise of Pelikan, else, prices might increase - again.

Having several L2Ks, a Pelikan M200 and M805, I don't think the M200 is categorically a better writer. I think the M400 is much more comparable to the L2K; the M200 appears to be a glorified TWSBI really.

I have Lamy 2000s, Pelikan M2xxs and M4xxs. The M200 with a gold nib from M400 is almost comparable to a Lamy 2000. Otherwise, your premise that the M200 is better is absolute and total B.S.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have Lamy 2000s, Pelikan M2xxs and M4xxs. The M200 with a gold nib from M400 is almost comparable to a Lamy 2000. Otherwise, your premise that the M200 is better is absolute and total B.S.

Both experiences are equally subjective.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Depends on the day and mood. Both are piston filled and have their unique character and feel.

IMO, both are equally good and I have no issues with using either of them.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

[…] Another important difference is that you can easily get replacement nibs for the Pelikan. For the Lamy you have to send the pen to Lamy to get the nib replaced. […]

There's a nice video by S.B.R.E. Brown on YouTube in which he demonstrates how easy it is to disassemble a L2K and also replace the nib.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

There's a nice video by S.B.R.E. Brown on YouTube in which he demonstrates how easy it is to disassemble a L2K and also replace the nib.

You are correct. The L2k nib is easily replaceable. The real problem is getting a source for replacement nibs as they are not easily found.

It would probably be more expensive than the Z50 14K version.

You are correct. The L2k nib is easily replaceable. The real problem is getting a source for replacement nibs as they are not easily found.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

The Australian Lamy distributor sells L2K nibs on their online store...they're about AU$130 (US$95) ea.

How are the two pens comparable? Cost? Nib? Body material? German. Piston fillers. Use liquid ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The Australian Lamy distributor sells L2K nibs on their online store...they're about AU$130 (US$95) ea.

I must be missing something. I couldn't find the L2K nibs on their site. They do have gold Z55 nibs but these do not fit the L2K.

I must be missing something. I couldn't find the L2K nibs on their site. They do have gold Z55 nibs but these do not fit the L2K.

+1

The pricing of 95USD is similar to the Z50 14K version and I am doubtful Lamy would sell the L2k version at the same price.

In the L2k case, it would seem that Lamy's approach is to sell you a new pen rather than have you nib swap.

Engineer :

I own both.

• I "tried" to like the L2k, but after 2 months I gave up. It just did not fit and feel comfortable in my hand. To me it looks like an oversize Parker 45, and it was heavy. It now sits in my collection, never to be inked again.
  • The Pelikan 200 series feels better in my hand, and I rotate it into use. And by this measure, of being used, it is the winner.
    I have been tempted by the red striped and blue striped M400s. Very classy looking, to me.

But I prefer my vintage Parker Vacumatic with a modern nib over the Pelikan.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have both and like both. I wanted them as samples of design. The 200 is in gray and stamped with the signature of the first president of West Germany, Theodor Heuss.

I don't buy pens trying to make some performance distinctions between them when what I really want are nice examples of mid-century design, particularly German.

I own both.

• I "tried" to like the L2k, but after 2 months I gave up. It just did not fit and feel comfortable in my hand. To me it looks like an oversize Parker 45, and it was heavy. It now sits in my collection, never to be inked again.
  • The Pelikan 200 series feels better in my hand, and I rotate it into use. And by this measure, of being used, it is the winner.

I have been tempted by the red striped and blue striped M400s. Very classy looking, to me.

But I prefer my vintage Parker Vacumatic with a modern nib over the Pelikan.

On my first go around with the Lamy 2000 I felt more or less as you say. After a few years I revisited the Lamy 2000 EF. I liked it much better, and I liked well enough the second time around to buy a second Lamy 2000. It is rugged.

The Pelikan M200 is lighter. The steel nibs are quite nice. Spare 14K nibs are good in them too. The advantage of easy nib change is an advantage. The pens are apples and oranges, more different than alike. Both good.

Parker Vacumatic is another ball game. Older design, older look of the 1930s. They have a woody smell, not a bad thing. The Vacumatic filler is an amusing toy with an apparently short life. My restored pen lasted five years before needing another restoration. Now it needs another.

Edited by pajaro

I happen to own #4 nibs from Pelikan, modern, vintage, gold and steel. I in fact prefer the steel M200 nib to the modern gold from M400 and, in any case, the difference is nimble. Can you please expand on why do you consider a gold M400 nib to be "almost comparable" but the steel one being better to be "absolute and total (bleep)"?