Namiki Emperor Or Pilot Custom Urushi?

Tseg

I'm currently looking at the Yukari Royale and the Emperor --I have touched neither so I'm not qualified to discuss.

However, you mentioned that no one was discussing the Custom Urushi. That pen, on the other hand, I have some experience with. For that I'll refer to my initial impressions on my website: http://www.sketchstack.com/pilot-custom-urushi.html

If you need some encouragement, rest assured that of these three pens it would seem that dissatisfaction is unlikely. If I'm being truthful, my only concern is which order I buy them in --one day I'm sure I'll own all three.

Best of luck!

Id probably buy a Custom Urushi if the section, too, were urushi and not plastic. As it is, why bother making a pen like this and yet leave the most tactile point the ultimate pedestrian material?!?

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• Mew

• mongrelnomad

• mjchuang9

Id probably buy a Custom Urushi if the section, too, were urushi and not plastic. As it is, why bother making a pen like this and yet leave the most tactile point the ultimate pedestrian material?!?

Yes it's a little odd. Perhaps to keep prices down. I don't make pens but a barrel alone to mass produce must be relatively easy compared to the more detailed bits like the finial and section. Maybe this differentiates it from the "artisan" aspect of the Namiki pens.

A typical justification would be that plastic will not be affected by dipping in liquid over time. But then that doesn't really make sense compared to the Yuraki Royale (assuming that is 100% urushi)...

+1

The reason why the pen has a plastic section is that plastic is much easier to maintain. My Yukari Royale's section is much harder to wipe clean. If you're into a complete urushi pen, then the Emperor is much more your speed.

Per a separate post, I ultimately settled on a Namiki Royale Vermillion (but may have a 6-12 month wait for it to arrive) vs. either the Namiki Emperor or Pilot Custom Urushi.

• I liked the size (more practical than the Emperor)
  • I liked getting it in vermillion from a trusted seller
  • I liked all of it was Urushi (maybe I'll live to regret a higher maintenance urushi section?)
  • I like the elegance of the simple gold ring around the base of the cap
  • I liked that the Royale nib was soft vs. the nail Emperor nib
  • I was able to find a price about identical to the Pilot Urushi... so it really became a head-to-head decision

At the end of the day I decided to get an Urushi pen that looks like and Urushi pen, and in a very classic but user friendly way. I have a Waterman Carene which is lacquer over brass and I love the solid feel of that pen. I decided for the money spent I really wanted a red pen and not another black pen with lots of rings and finding a vermillion Pilot Urushi from a trusted seller proved a bit more difficult. The final swaying point is I had already cratered several weeks back and ordered a Sailor KoP Pro Gear that likely has similarity to the Custom Urushi - although arrival of the KoP remains questionable since Japan Posted has had it 'preparing for shipment' in Tokyo since March 17 with no additional updates. The seller is already launching an inquiry as to its location.

Everyone's comments allowed me to really think through what I wanted (at least as of this point) and the Vermillion Royale ultimately sang to me vs. the other 2 pens. It wasn't even on my radar until I started this post.

• 4 weeks later...

Per a separate post, I ultimately settled on a Namiki Royale Vermillion (but may have a 6-12 month wait for it to arrive) vs. either the Namiki Emperor or Pilot Custom Urushi.

• I liked the size (more practical than the Emperor)
  • I liked getting it in vermillion from a trusted seller
  • I liked all of it was Urushi (maybe I'll live to regret a higher maintenance urushi section?)
  • I like the elegance of the simple gold ring around the base of the cap
  • I liked that the Royale nib was soft vs. the nail Emperor nib
  • I was able to find a price about identical to the Pilot Urushi... so it really became a head-to-head decision
At the end of the day I decided to get an Urushi pen that looks like and Urushi pen, and in a very classic but user friendly way. I have a Waterman Carene which is lacquer over brass and I love the solid feel of that pen. I decided for the money spent I really wanted a red pen and not another black pen with lots of rings and finding a vermillion Pilot Urushi from a trusted seller proved a bit more difficult. The final swaying point is I had already cratered several weeks back and ordered a Sailor KoP Pro Gear that likely has similarity to the Custom Urushi - although arrival of the KoP remains questionable since Japan Posted has had it 'preparing for shipment' in Tokyo since March 17 with no additional updates. The seller is already launching an inquiry as to its location.

Everyone's comments allowed me to really think through what I wanted (at least as of this point) and the Vermillion Royale ultimately sang to me vs. the other 2 pens. It wasn't even on my radar until I started this post.

Having used a couple of fully urushi coated pens for a few months now I can tell you that urushi sections are definitely not harder to maintain than plastic counterparts. I am a little wary of closing the cap in a too tight manner but other than that at least for the short-mid term it's hard to pick any trouble. I even started to take the pens out this week

Having used a couple of fully urushi coated pens for a few months now I can tell you that urushi sections are definitely not harder to maintain than plastic counterparts. I am a little wary of closing the cap in a too tight manner but other than that at least for the short-mid term it's hard to pick any trouble. I even started to take the pens out this week

Thanks for the reassurance that the Urushi section is not problematic. I'm hopeful about delivery in the next 60 days. Of course this fall when the anniversary occurs I may end up drooling again if a limited edition pen is announced, but perhaps with the No. 20 in hand I can keep my wallet in my pocket.

Edited by Tseg

a Namiki Royale Vermillion

There is no Namiki Royale Vermillion - see here the list of Yukari Royale: http://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/collection/yukari-royale/

The Vermillion one can be found in the so-called Urushi collection: http://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/collection/urushi/

They are named "Lacquer Vermillion No.20" and "Lacquer Vermillion No.50".

Edited by mke

Technically, yes, but every US authorized Namiki dealer lists them as the Royale... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Technically, yes, but every US authorized Namiki dealer lists them as the Royale...

How strange.

Like the ebay sellers, selling a Pilot pen as a Namiki pen.

Your choice.

How strange.

Like the ebay sellers, selling a Pilot pen as a Namiki pen.

Your choice.

Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

Too many pens; too little writing.

Such beautiful pens don't need a "royale" to be royal.

Namiki Urushi Vermillion is just enough (IMHO).

And a Namiki Urushi Vermillion is on my wishlist - just don't know yet which size.

There is no Namiki Royale Vermillion - see here the list of Yukari Royale: http://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/collection/yukari-royale/

The Vermillion one can be found in the so-called Urushi collection: http://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/collection/urushi/

The paperwork from Namiki listed the pen as a Yukari Royale so it is an official name.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

> The paperwork from Namiki listed the pen as a Yukari Royale

On the Namiki homepage is clearly stated that a Yukari pen is a Maki-e pen.

So another case showing how to create chaos - similar to the chaotic naming of Sailor pens where nearly every pen needed to have a different name outside of Japan even that they use English names in Japan too.

International branding is not a strong side of Japanese companies. I would like to give them an example how this should be handled: "A Montblanc 149 is a Montblanc 149 everywhere." Clear and easy.

Edited by mke

> The paperwork from Namiki listed the pen as a Yukari Royale

On the Namiki homepage is clearly stated that a Yukari pen is a Maki-e pen.

So another case showing how to create chaos - similar to the chaotic naming of Sailor pens where nearly every pen needed to have a different name outside of Japan even that they use English names in Japan too.

International branding is not a strong side of Japanese companies. I would like to give them an example how this should be handled: "A Montblanc 149 is a Montblanc 149 everywhere." Clear and easy.

After you point that out I've noticed this is common in Japanese craft in other sectors as well, cars are a good example like a c class is a c class everywhere in the world but Japanese cars get new names in different continents and sometimes whole brand names change. Doesn't affect me at all but I think the german approach is better for worldwide recognition. Mercedes star is probably much better known around the globe compared to Acura '' arch thing? '' although they are competitors in the same field most of the time.

• 2 months later...

So my path to a quick, efficient pen collection got a bit side-tracked. My original intent was to end up with 4-5 pens... I currently have 13 with 2 more on the way. One of the 2 is the Namiki No. 20... 3 months ago the vendor with which i placed the order claimed I should have it by the 4th of July. The 4th of July is tomorrow, and I still don't have my Namiki I blame this lag time why my collection has exceeded 5 pens, because clearly when the Namiki arrives I'm done buying pens. We'll see how long this Namiki saga lasts. Stay tuned.

fpn_1530714674__img_2774.jpg

I bought the other two black custom urushi FM, B to accompany with the vermillion M. I carry the three pens as daily writers for the different purposes. Without doubt the soft no.30 nib is my favorite by all brands.