Removing Feed From Platinum Preppy/plaisir

tvradio

Has anyone ever figured out how to safely remove the feed from the section of the Preppy/Plaisir so it can be cleaned and dried faster?

In some SBRE Brown video he mentioned that he had been utterly unable to remove the fin-feed from the clear section of either his Preppys or Plaisirs, said that as cheap pen you have to deal with it, but complained that it took 'forever' for it to dry inside its clear tube section after rinsing it out.

Well, I just got my first Plaisir (light and plastic-y yes, but the .05 writes very nicely - more smoothly than my .03 Preppy) and I see exactly what he was talking about.

A comparison between a normal fountain pen feed to the Preppy/Plaisir (from this old post):

http://www.pbase.com/liverman/image/141447107/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/liverman/image/141447688/original.jpg

I really don't want to have to wait 'forever' for my pen to be ready to be re-inked. Has anyone gotten the feed out of the section easily?

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• Inkling13

• jobodine

• Mech-for-i

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't start down that road. It's a slippery slope. No need to remove the nib and feed to clean. I say that even with TWSBI pens and they give you a wrench to help doing so. Sooner or later you'll break a pen a feed, cause a nib to go wonky. Run water or pen flush in it and either let it dry in a cup with a paper towel to suck the ink out or just fill it.

Just today I flushed my 3776 of Noodler's Blue Eel gave it a good shake and filled it with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. No issues. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes max. I flushed some other pens too or it wouldn't have taken that long. I flushed three, refilled two and brought in two others.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If you are truly in a hurry to remove extra moisture, make yourself a salad spinner centrifuge. Simple and can dry without disassembly easy and safely.

You have already remove the feed as the photo show, I suppose you mean you wanting to remove the ink collector but on the preppy / plaisir this is factory sealed in

I usually using an rubber blower, like used for photo equipments purposes/ But i am not removing that rode with nib. Just connect blower with orifice and blow. Sometimes i use huge plastic syringe 150-200 cm3 app.

You have already remove the feed as the photo show, I suppose you mean you wanting to remove the ink collector but on the preppy / plaisir this is factory sealed in

Yes, I was asking about the part that seemingly cannot be removed. What you call the 'feed' is identified above as the ink channel.

Shame that it's sealed in. Oh well.

I usually using an rubber blower, like used for photo equipments purposes/ But i am not removing that rode with nib. Just connect blower with orifice and blow. Sometimes i use huge plastic syringe 150-200 cm3 app.

Thanks. I guess that's what I'll do. I am really surprised how smooth, and surprisingly broad, this particular nib is. Much smoother than the .03 Preppys I've used, slightly broader than my Metropolitan M (but has a nice, normal-width section!).

Thanks. I guess that's what I'll do. I am really surprised how smooth, and surprisingly broad, this particular nib is. Much smoother than the .03 Preppys I've used, slightly broader than my Metropolitan M (but has a nice, normal-width section!).

Do you really need to remove the feed to re-ink ? You can pump ink into an empty Preppy by using a syringe and a piece of clear plastic tubing .

I don't need to remove the feed to re-ink (nobody would buy the pen if that were the case), but I'd like to be able to remove it periodically for more thorough cleaning and faster drying.

Looks like Platinum doesn't want that, though.

I don't need to remove the feed to re-ink (nobody would buy the pen if that were the case), but I'd like to be able to remove it periodically for more thorough cleaning and faster drying.

Looks like Platinum doesn't want that, though.

considering the plastic is friction fit, and that the pen borders on disposable, i would think that 100% disassembly would be one way the pens would meet an untimely demise. I would invest in an Ultrasonic cleaner that can clean without such complete disassembly, into places you wouldnt even know existed. It will pay for itself in no time. This is a case of if its not broken, dont try to fix it. Besides even more pricey pens rarely warrant such complete break down, just that some peoples over obsessive cleaning compels them to do so.

I don't need to remove the feed to re-ink (nobody would buy the pen if that were the case),

OOps ! Sorry..I got mix up , thinking Platinum Preppy as a disposable fountain pen..... :rolleyes:

considering the plastic is friction fit, and that the pen borders on disposable, i would think that 100% disassembly would be one way the pens would meet an untimely demise.

I'm able to do it with an $11 Pilot Metropolitan (or Delike) and a $1 Jinhao, which have the same plastic sections and have (different design) friction fits.

Edited by tvradio

I'm able to do it with an $11 Pilot Metropolitan (or Delike) and a $1 Jinhao, which have the same plastic sections and have (different design) friction fits.

How many disassembly-reassembly cycles have they undergone before failure?

Before failure? None.

Number of disassemblies? I don't know, maybe a half dozen so far.

Yes, I was asking about the part that seemingly cannot be removed. What you call the 'feed' is identified above as the ink channel.

Shame that it's sealed in. Oh well.

I've had several Plaisirs for 8 or 9 years, and just flush them with a bulb syringe and let them dry for a day. They have always been fine. No need to pull anything in this pen. The bulb syringe even cleans out the ink collector.

I've been able to simply get the ink collector to slide out when I remove the nib.

It's a curious design decision, that's for sure. In that thread I linked to above one person made an interesting comment about the pen's ink delivery mechanism: "The feed above is a #6 (6 mm in diameter) that is typically found on pens with nibs that extend beyond the pen by 23 mm (almost an inch). The Preppy/Plaisir feed has got to be at least 8 mm. That's Danitrio Densho territory! Evenb though the regular feed is 1.5 times as long as the Preppy/Plaisir feed, the Preppy/Plaisir feed still has a larger volume (14% more)."

I've been able to simply get the ink collector to slide out when I remove the nib.

It's a curious design decision, that's for sure. In that thread I linked to above one person made an interesting comment about the pen's ink delivery mechanism: "The feed above is a #6 (6 mm in diameter) that is typically found on pens with nibs that extend beyond the pen by 23 mm (almost an inch). The Preppy/Plaisir feed has got to be at least 8 mm. That's Danitrio Densho territory! Evenb though the regular feed is 1.5 times as long as the Preppy/Plaisir feed, the Preppy/Plaisir feed still has a larger volume (14% more)."

If you look at the Preppy, it's actually not a coincidence that the ink collection system looks the same as those found in highlighters and rollerballs that store liquid ink in a compartment, as opposed to a capillary tube. Reason? the Preppy body can be used for both a marker, rollerball, and fountain pen. All you need to do is replace the nib and ink channel with the tipping of your choice.

I tried removing the collector from two Preppies some weeks ago but didn't succeed. Was going to make a franken dip pen, but I couldn't remove the collector cleanly. The top one third of it came out after much tugging with a pair of pliers and I had used a small piece of rubber tire to improve my grip using the other hand. Micro cracks started appearing in the sections, so I had to throw them away. I'd read that someone injected a bit of olive oil into the section and I used something similar, but no go.

As I number of cheap, disposable pens, I thought I'll make a frankenpen, which are the best things if they work.

I keep several spare preppys and swap them when an actively used preppy needs to be cleaned out.

After cleaning the preppy becomes the "spare" thus no rush to soak and dry.